Author Topic: Ask A CelticsStronger A Question  (Read 16273 times)

Re: Ask A CelticsStronger A Question
« Reply #45 on: October 25, 2019, 04:39:08 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1361
Neat idea, Roy. TP.

I'd like to know what everyone else does/did for a living. I always find it interesting to know what line of work others on here are/were in and see how far the common love of Celtics basketball permeates different careers and occupations.

I'll start - I'm a clinical ethicist and professor, and I direct a postdoctoral fellowship in clinical ethics. As a clinical ethicist I help resolve ethical issues that arise during healthcare, including issues such as: disagreement about the appropriateness of withholding/withdrawing life-sustaining treatment at the end of life, assisting with medical decision-making for patients who can't make medical decisions for themselves, HIV disclosures to third parties, pain medication management (family refusing pain medication for a patient in pain, a patient demonstrating drug-seeking behavior and requesting opiates, etc.), among many other things.

What do others on here do?

I'm a business owner, early 40s, I own a couple of auto shops, one on the North Shore and one on the South Shore. Prior to that I was in corporate, worked in marketing, finance and operations for some Fortune 500 companies, from consumer products companies to medical devices/institutional medical companies. Got tired of being told what to do and packed it all in to buy my first shop, then the 2nd just 2 years ago. I'm sure as other business owners/entrepreneurs here know, running your own business is tough and can give you sleepless nights but I don't regret getting out of corporate America one bit. 20 years ago I lived in Sydney Australia on assignment for a number of years and totally loved it - my username "oz" is a nod to the time I spent there. Gouki and Somebody you guys have an awesome country! Also lived in London and South East Asia (Hong Kong and Manila).

I've been a Celtics fan since I was 9 years old and saw Bird, McHale and Parish lose to the Fakers in 1985 - I was hooked then and since. Aside from the usual US sports I also enjoy soccer (developed a liking for it in London) and rugby (developed a liking for it in Sydney).
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #46 on: October 25, 2019, 06:01:43 PM »

Offline ConnerHenry

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 59
I just left a 30 year career in Entertainment (Broadway, Movies, TV) and moved back to NH. Now I walk my dog, make the kids meals and am storing fat for winter

« Reply #47 on: October 25, 2019, 06:34:03 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Great idea for a thread Roy.  TP for helping us to get to know each other more.

I am a licensed architect and a musician who is currently going to school in a music recording / music production program.  I worked many years as an architect / project manager for architecture firms and doing facility planning for large universities.  I recently decided to see if I can find a way to make a living as a musician / music producer / music engineer.  I am originally from Iowa, but I live in California now.

I am married, with no kids but 2 cats.  I can't remember when I joined celtics blog, probably around 2008 or so.  This place is one of the only forums that I actively contribute to on the net.  Such a unique group of people here.  I have been a Celtics fan since I was a really little kid.  I remember my family watching the finals in 1976 against the Suns, and I got hooked as a little kid.

« Reply #48 on: October 25, 2019, 06:49:23 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I can confirm that the extent to which I am an interesting person is in no way correlated to the number of posts I have made beyond 9,999.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #49 on: October 25, 2019, 06:50:49 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

I'm an attorney.  Workers' comp. 

It's more interesting than it sounds, but it doesn't sound interesting if I explain what it is.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #50 on: October 25, 2019, 06:54:38 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
I just left a 30 year career in Entertainment (Broadway, Movies, TV) and moved back to NH. Now I walk my dog, make the kids meals and am storing fat for winter

Behind the scenes or part of them?
- Mark Twain

« Reply #51 on: October 25, 2019, 07:28:08 PM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617
Neat idea, Roy. TP.

I'd like to know what everyone else does/did for a living. I always find it interesting to know what line of work others on here are/were in and see how far the common love of Celtics basketball permeates different careers and occupations.

I'll start - I'm a clinical ethicist and professor, and I direct a postdoctoral fellowship in clinical ethics. As a clinical ethicist I help resolve ethical issues that arise during healthcare, including issues such as: disagreement about the appropriateness of withholding/withdrawing life-sustaining treatment at the end of life, assisting with medical decision-making for patients who can't make medical decisions for themselves, HIV disclosures to third parties, pain medication management (family refusing pain medication for a patient in pain, a patient demonstrating drug-seeking behavior and requesting opiates, etc.), among many other things.

I'm a business owner, early 40s, I own a couple of auto shops, one on the North Shore and one on the South Shore. Prior to that I was in corporate, worked in marketing, finance and operations for some Fortune 500 companies, from consumer products companies to medical devices/institutional medical companies. Got tired of being told what to do and packed it all in to buy my first shop, then the 2nd just 2 years ago. I'm sure as other business owners/entrepreneurs here know, running your own business is tough and can give you sleepless nights but I don't regret getting out of corporate America one bit. 20 years ago I lived in Sydney Australia on assignment for a number of years and totally loved it - my username "oz" is a nod to the time I spent there. Gouki and Somebody you guys have an awesome country! Also lived in London and South East Asia (Hong Kong and Manila).

I've been a Celtics fan since I was 9 years old and saw Bird, McHale and Parish lose to the Fakers in 1985 - I was hooked then and since. Aside from the usual US sports I also enjoy soccer (developed a liking for it in London) and rugby (developed a liking for it in Sydney).

Have you got a lot of staff? And if so, are you able to throw any light on your experiences with the ACA?
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #52 on: October 25, 2019, 09:11:25 PM »

Offline CptZoogs

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 79
edit: wrong thread

« Reply #53 on: October 25, 2019, 09:17:28 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
A person's education level and career is probably the least interesting aspect of a person, at least for me.  And if I'm being completely honest, sometimes I'm left with the impression people just like to brag about their fancy-sounding degrees and jobs.  It's not a critique, just a statement, but I don't really care what others do for work.  I hope that doesn't come across too harsh or judgmental, but it just irks me that so many people choose to define themselves this way.

I'm far more interested to know what your hobbies are.  What are you most passionate about?  What do you get the most enjoyment out of life from?

I'm an avid hiker/backpacker and love spending as much time out in nature as I can.  I've also recently gotten into indoor climbing with the thought of possibly doing to actual rock climbing once I get better at it.  I've hiked parts of the Appalachians, Rockies, Sierras (US and Mexican), Talamancas, Andes (Bolivian and Peruvian), and Alps (Swiss and Italian).  I also enjoy recreational kayaking and have considered maybe trying my hand whitewater kayaking.  I once kayaked the entire Allagash waterway (which took 9 days), that was a blast.

I also really enjoy doing what I can to help those around me.  I can't count the number of hours I've given to helping friends, co-workers, or my neighbors by offering my skills in auto-repair to those that otherwise couldn't afford to have their vehicle repaired or would be put in a financial bind doing so.  But honestly, I just enjoy working on cars, it's not a burden at all (I have zero interest in doing this for work however - I hated being in that line of work).  Someday if/when I have the time and space, I'd really love to restore and old hot rod from the ground up.

I've also noted a few others here mention they don't have, nor plan to have, any children.  Don't be ashamed of that, I most certainly am not ashamed to say I have no children and never will.  For me, it's just a choice of living a free and easy lifestyle.  I live a modest life, and don't wish to be burdened by the financial responsibilities that come with having children. I'm content to be the cool uncle.  But also, the world needs more people willing to forgo having children. This planet is way too overpopulated and needs some sort of correction there if our species is to survive.  What I don't like is that most of society seems to operate in a manner that almost punishes those of us who don't want to have children.  Simple things like groceries cost more for us.  Just look at all the tax breaks people with children get, that isn't right.

I'm also very passionate about music.  I can't play an instrument to save my life, so I greatly appreciate those that can.  I've also discovered that music can be a great way to bring people together or get a message across.  I love the line from SOJA, "why does it start to make sense when it's in a song".  Music festivals are always an amazing time, especially if it's a Phish concert!

Oh, and I love Belgian ale.  It's like the nectar of the gods.

So that's just a little about who I am.  Who are you?

« Reply #54 on: October 25, 2019, 10:04:12 PM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617
Apologies, I just assumed this was about normal "what's your story" kinda chat. I have a degree, but it certainly isn't fancy, I had a drinking problem during college.

My hobbies are embarrassing. Trainspotting Boston teams, beer (sensible amounts) and darts, and things that are peripherally connected to my job (elections and democracy, social movements), heavy metal and hip hop, and learning languages.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #55 on: October 25, 2019, 10:26:09 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
Oh, and I love Belgian ale.  It's like the nectar of the gods.

So that's just a little about who I am.  Who are you?
there is nothing better...and always at room temperature.

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/207/645/
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #56 on: October 25, 2019, 10:40:06 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
Apologies, I just assumed this was about normal "what's your story" kinda chat. I have a degree, but it certainly isn't fancy, I had a drinking problem during college.

My hobbies are embarrassing. Trainspotting Boston teams, beer (sensible amounts) and darts, and things that are peripherally connected to my job (elections and democracy, social movements), heavy metal and hip hop, and learning languages.

Look, I apologize if it came across rude, it certainly wasn't my intention.  If you are proud of your career there is nothing wrong with that.  It's just that reading through the thread all I saw were people talking about their college degrees and advanced careers.  I have a fairly successful career too, but it's not really what I define myself by at all.  But also, people who flip burgers, mop floors, or whatever are interesting/valuable people too (although I'm certainly not implying anyone here said they weren't).  But if that is what others want to talk about, feel free.  I've said my piece on the matter, I don't need to further dwell on it.

Anyhow, what languages have you learned and what prompted you to learn them?  That sounds quite interesting.  And I'd also be interested to hear you expand on what social movements you are most passionate about (we may or may not agree about them - IDK - but I respect someone who does something about a cause they believe in).

« Reply #57 on: October 25, 2019, 10:52:13 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1469

Look, I apologize if it came across rude, it certainly wasn't my intention.  If you are proud of your career there is nothing wrong with that.  It's just that reading through the thread all I saw were people talking about their college degrees and advanced careers.  I have a fairly successful career too, but it's not really what I define myself by at all.  But also, people who flip burgers, mop floors, or whatever are interesting/valuable people too (although I'm certainly not implying anyone here said they weren't).  But if that is what others want to talk about, feel free.  I've said my piece on the matter, I don't need to further dwell on it.

Anyhow, what languages have you learned and what prompted you to learn them?  That sounds quite interesting.  And I'd also be interested to hear you expand on what social movements you are most passionate about (we may or may not agree about them - IDK - but I respect someone who does something about a cause they believe in).

I dunno, I just think it was a chance to learn about people's backgrounds.  No one is tearing anyone down.  It is just a starting point for getting to know someone better. 

Most people that have degrees flipped burgers and worked at jobs that didn't pay much at some point.  I agree someones job / career shouldn't define them as a person.  But we have a lot of interesting discussions on this site, sometimes knowing someone else's background might be helpful.

so you are into music a lot huh?  You said you are a phish fan.  I don't own any of their albums, what one should I consider as a starting point?  I saw them cover a few Genesis songs at the rock and roll hall of fame induction.

« Reply #58 on: October 25, 2019, 11:10:14 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey

I dunno, I just think it was a chance to learn about people's backgrounds.  No one is tearing anyone down.  It is just a starting point for getting to know someone better. 

Most people that have degrees flipped burgers and worked at jobs that didn't pay much at some point.  I agree someones job / career shouldn't define them as a person.  But we have a lot of interesting discussions on this site, sometimes knowing someone else's background might be helpful.

so you are into music a lot huh?  You said you are a phish fan.  I don't own any of their albums, what one should I consider as a starting point?  I saw them cover a few Genesis songs at the rock and roll hall of fame induction.

There really isn't a studio album that could ever do Phish the justice they deserve.  It's all about the live experience, as it is with most jam bands.  If you truly are interested, phish.net is a great place to get started immersing yourself.  But here's a youtube link to one of my favorite performances from MSG Fluffhead.  If you want the really good stuff from Phish, though, anything pre-2000 era is fantastic.

« Reply #59 on: October 25, 2019, 11:49:54 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1361
Neat idea, Roy. TP.

Have you got a lot of staff? And if so, are you able to throw any light on your experiences with the ACA?

I have 10 staff (1 manager, 1 counter person/service writer, and 3 techs for each location). I offer health insurance to all of them, mainly because the companies I compete with for staff offer it to their employees (large dealerships mainly). To get good technicians you need to pretty much offer benefits. About half of them have taken up the health insurance we provide through a Tufts plan, a couple are on Medicare due to age, and a couple more get insurance via their spouse. I'm not subject to the Employer Shared Responsibility Plan since I have less than 50 employees. I'd say the total cost to me is <0.5% of revenue. When it comes to the reporting requirements our insurance broker takes care of that and coordinates with our accountants.

I am looking at switching our plans over to SHOP to take advantage of the tax credit, possibly sometime next year.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D