Author Topic: David Aldridge: Pacers asking for 2 1sts and a Starter for George  (Read 10319 times)

Re: David Aldridge: Pacers asking for 2 1sts and a Starter for George
« Reply #45 on: June 19, 2017, 11:38:57 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Indiana has almost no leverage.  PG screwed them over in that regard.
maybe maybe not.  this might create a bidding war or it might actually make the Lakers throw in some real value and thus might get Indiana more of a haul.

Why would LAL bother to throw anything of real value at Indiana if they know there is a really good likelihood they can get him next offseason?  If George does get traded somewhere, its almost certainly just going to be a one year rental if reports are correct. 

I'd be willing to wager if George gets traded to a legit contender this summer he stays there.

« Reply #46 on: June 19, 2017, 11:43:56 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1546
maybe maybe not.  this might create a bidding war or it might actually make the Lakers throw in some real value and thus might get Indiana more of a haul.

Why would LAL bother to throw anything of real value at Indiana if they know there is a really good likelihood they can get him next offseason?  If George does get traded somewhere, its almost certainly just going to be a one year rental if reports are correct.

Why? Because if a team who is more competitive than the Lakers, ahem the Celtics, grabs him, it highly reduces the chances of him going to LA should he and the Celtics make a deep championship run next season which is likely.

What's that based on?  Besides projecting George's thought process?
George has said numerous times that he wants to win.  So to go to the Lakers, he would not only have to leave a winner for a loser, he would have to turn down more money and more years to do that.  He may very well do that, but he also might not, which is a risk the Lakers would have to take.  That is why the Lakers might just up the ante to ensure they get him.  It also happens to coincide with all of the reports that the Lakers are trying to acquire a third pick in this draft.  Why would the Lakers need another pick, unless they were planning on trading two picks to the Pacers for George. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #47 on: June 19, 2017, 11:49:07 AM »

Offline jade88

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 20
If we can't land Paul George with him being as available as he is, we're going nowhere fast. No first pick, no All NBA player to go with Thomas, very sobering.

We didn't get Love, we didn't get Cousins, we couldn't close the deal on KD, No Butler, this is getting crazy. How hard is it to get one of these guys with the assets we have?

« Reply #48 on: June 19, 2017, 12:04:14 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
Its simple...if George is going to loose, he'd rather do it in LA, most likely near his family. If he's going to a winner, a team with a chance to get into the finals, he'll except another destination.

I would think the Cavs will come knocking, after all they have Lebrons ego, I mean legacy to think about. And what LBJ wants, he gets.

Actually the Celtics have a fair chance to acquire Paul George, they have the best possible package to offer. 

« Reply #49 on: June 19, 2017, 12:13:06 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
If we can't land Paul George with him being as available as he is, we're going nowhere fast. No first pick, no All NBA player to go with Thomas, very sobering.

We didn't get Love, we didn't get Cousins, we couldn't close the deal on KD, No Butler, this is getting crazy. How hard is it to get one of these guys with the assets we have?

KD was a FA, so no control there, not Ainge's fault.

Love and Cousins went to teams that offered more than Ainge was willing.  His 'fault', but he was probably right not to trade for Love (especially at what Cleveland paid), and while the price was cheap, the team as a whole seemed to be against trading for Cousins.  Not even IT would vouch for him.

Depending on your perspective, either the Bulls have been asking too much for Butler, or Ainge isn't willing to offer enough.  That may or may not be his fault.

I will be a bit miffed if Ainge passes on George, though.  There's no good reason to let him go to competitors for an offer we can easily match.  George is easily the best player we have had the opportunity to trade for.  I'm confident if we trade for him he will stay.

« Reply #50 on: June 19, 2017, 12:22:02 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

KD was a FA, so no control there, not Ainge's fault.

Love and Cousins went to teams that offered more than Ainge was willing.  His 'fault', but he was probably right not to trade for Love (especially at what Cleveland paid), and while the price was cheap, the team as a whole seemed to be against trading for Cousins.  Not even IT would vouch for him.

Depending on your perspective, either the Bulls have been asking too much for Butler, or Ainge isn't willing to offer enough.  That may or may not be his fault.

I will be a bit miffed if Ainge passes on George, though.  There's no good reason to let him go to competitors for an offer we can easily match.  George is easily the best player we have had the opportunity to trade for.  I'm confident if we trade for him he will stay.

I want to ask this.

Could it be that the reason Chicago is asking for too much is because they know we have too much assets available?

Is us having all this assets coming back to bite us now? Teams could squeeze as much as they could.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #51 on: June 19, 2017, 12:25:42 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2929
Its simple...if George is going to loose, he'd rather do it in LA, most likely near his family. If he's going to a winner, a team with a chance to get into the finals, he'll except another destination.

I would think the Cavs will come knocking, after all they have Lebrons ego, I mean legacy to think about. And what LBJ wants, he gets.

Actually the Celtics have a fair chance to acquire Paul George, they have the best possible package to offer.

A-freaking-men. I mean, this has pretty much been exactly what he's said all along, but somehow everyone else has interpreted it as "he's deadest on going to LA."

« Reply #52 on: June 19, 2017, 12:27:07 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789

A-freaking-men. I mean, this has pretty much been exactly what he's said all along, but somehow everyone else has interpreted it as "he's deadest on going to LA."
that isn't that woj says

« Reply #53 on: June 19, 2017, 12:27:53 PM »

Offline coffee425

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122
I'd offer Bradley + the Lakers/Kings pick, which is pretty much guaranteed to be top 5. That's  a starter and an asset that's easily worth two mid-first rounders.

Alternatively we could offer Bradley + Brown, which has the advantage that it clears more cap space, Brown is probably a lesser asset than the Lakers/Kings pick, and it's not clear how Brown would get playing time behind Crowder, PG and potentially Hayward.

This is the only deal i've read that makes sense for Boston. TP.

Alternatively, you could go Bradley + Lakers/Kings Pick + Memphis/Clippers Pick... There, Indiana gets 2 first rounders and a starter.
Even at the end of the game, we lined up in different formation that he hadn't seen and he called out our play before I got the ball. I heard him calling it out. -John Wall on Brad Stevens

« Reply #54 on: June 19, 2017, 12:46:49 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey

I want to ask this.

Could it be that the reason Chicago is asking for too much is because they know we have too much assets available?

Is us having all this assets coming back to bite us now? Teams could squeeze as much as they could.

It could be that is what is happening with some negotiations.  I've seen it speculated before, although I'm not sure how much stock I put in that actually being true.

And while that would be terribly unfortunate, Ainge would be a fool to allow that to play any part in his decision making process (I'm confident Ainge would never fall for that crap).

« Reply #55 on: June 19, 2017, 12:54:04 PM »

Offline Fireworks_Boom!

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 57

Why? Because if a team who is more competitive than the Lakers, ahem the Celtics, grabs him, it highly reduces the chances of him going to LA should he and the Celtics make a deep championship run next season which is likely.

Logic & human nature. No one knows what George is thinking so we're all speculating.

« Reply #56 on: June 19, 2017, 12:59:17 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1546

Logic & human nature. No one knows what George is thinking so we're all speculating.
Yep, and maybe just maybe George is floating that he prefers the Lakers, because he actually wants to be traded to LA so he can sign the 5 year max with bigger raises.  Maybe he thinks by putting it out there, the Lakers will acquire him and maybe at a smaller price, so he ends up with more assets.  Or maybe he just wants to get the Lakers to come to the table.

And just because a guy prefers a certain team, it certainly doesn't mean he will automatically just go there.  Giving up more money on a better team isn't just a no brainer. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #57 on: June 19, 2017, 12:59:41 PM »

Offline Scintan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 656
The team needs a center.  Trading away the 2018 Brooklyn and/or LAL/SAC(2019) picks would make that more difficult to get.  So, to me, those picks should be off limits in any trade.

When people are free to do as they please, they usually imitate each other.

« Reply #58 on: June 19, 2017, 01:01:20 PM »

Online celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 656
  • MASTER OF PANIC
The 2018 Brooklyn pick should be untouchable. Draft has too many good prospects that fit Boston.

Tracde #3, the 2019 Kings pick and maybe a player for PG

« Reply #59 on: June 19, 2017, 01:05:42 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
The team needs a center.  Trading away the 2018 Brooklyn and/or LAL/SAC(2019) picks would make that more difficult to get.  So, to me, those picks should be off limits in any trade.
I actually do agree with this sentiment.  However, there are many that think the Center position is less important these days, based on GS and CLE success in the last 3 years.  I personally think that is misguided. The center position still represents one of five players on the floor.  If that's the guy who is open, he has to knock it down.  If the opponents center is going off, you have to stop him.  Some things never change in basketball.