Author Topic: Marcus Smart or Terry Rozier  (Read 8831 times)

Re: Marcus Smart or Terry Rozier
« Reply #45 on: September 30, 2016, 04:42:00 PM »

Offline CelticPride2016

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 247
remember marcus boxing out cousins too hard and getting thrown to ground or crashing a cousins screen-the guy is relentless on defense
the way he dips his shoulder under and powers up and through a screen-
crowder keeps talking about his slight ankle sprain and how it effected his shot
smarts two seasons have been marred by debilitating injuries
also there was no stability his rookie season-losing rondo and green and a parade of new faces
the comparisons can't even begin till rozier starts to play regularly and through a season even injured or having a bad stretch
i like the way rozier moves his body type allows that,hopefully someday he can play like isaiah one

marcus played a great game against westbrook and durant showing what he can do,then the atlanta game 4 but it is these two players that are part of celtics future not one

People are trying to put Marcus Smart in a box in which he can only become so good at team basketball. He said he's been working on his shooting. You'd think folks might want to wait to see if he got better.

Because with every other facet of the game, he is as good as it gets.

I remember that game when he boxed out Cousins who acted like a baby. That's one of the reasons I'd never gut the team to get him. Maybe as a free agent.

Marcus Smart is a Kawhi Leonard potential for shaping games or what Jae Crowder did last year. Those kind of guys win titles.

Maybe Marcus never thought too much about shooting until it became obvious it was hurting his game. I can see why many are cynical that he can become good overnight or from an off-season.

Thankfully he doesn't have to be that good. He just needs to be competent at it and remain good at driving to the hoop, passing, dribbling and hitting his free throws. I don't think he is far off. It can't be easy shooting as a young player with doubts. RJ Hunter and James Young were acclaimed as shooters but hoisted up a lot of bricks. Even Isaiah had some 1-10 shooting nightmares.

Olynyk seems to be getting better at shooting as it becomes time for him to think seriously about his prime years and what vision he's trying to express on the court.

Maybe Bradley takes some unforeseen leap and starts hitting shots at a Steph Curry or top ten shooting rate. We have so many weapons. People should cut all players slack unless they are speaking of James Young.

We could end up in a lot of blowouts. Rozier, Hunter and Mickey should get some minutes that way. I think Rozier will be the backup pg unless Smart can do it. Maybe a combo of Smart and Olynyk will be a two-headed pg. I'd like to see more Kelly Olynyk, not less, in terms of offense. Our best runs always seemed to be with him on the court. He might be a good luck charm. His plus-minus stats have never been adequately explained.

« Reply #46 on: September 30, 2016, 05:06:16 PM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
remember marcus boxing out cousins too hard and getting thrown to ground or crashing a cousins screen-the guy is relentless on defense
crowder keeps talking about his slight ankle sprain and how it effected his shot
also there was no stability his rookie season-losing rondo and green and a parade of new faces
the comparisons can't even begin till rozier starts to play regularly and through a season even injured or having a bad stretch
i like the way rozier moves his body type allows that,hopefully someday he can play like isaiah one

marcus played a great game against westbrook and durant showing what he can do,then the atlanta game 4 but it is these two players that are part of celtics future not one

People are trying to put Marcus Smart in a box in which he can only become so good at team basketball. He said he's been working on his shooting. You'd think folks might want to wait to see if he got better.

Hehehehe put the kool-aid down brother! Smart is a fine player for a second year going into his third year. But right now he's at best a bench player, he has a lot to improve on.

Personally I don't think his shot is that bad but he has no discipline when it comes to shot selection. If he takes less bad shots and drives a little more, it would help his game a ton.

« Reply #47 on: September 30, 2016, 05:13:49 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
Speaking of his jump shot...

https://www.instagram.com/p/BK_bH1uheeL/

It looks nice. There was an article a few days ago about how he did a lot of shooting practices and stuff over the summer to reduce his dip. It looks a lot better from these 3 shots. Let's see what happens in game.
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #48 on: September 30, 2016, 05:36:25 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323

It looks nice. There was an article a few days ago about how he did a lot of shooting practices and stuff over the summer to reduce his dip. It looks a lot better from these 3 shots. Let's see what happens in game.

Let's hope so, we need him to be hitting shots, last year he was atrocious.

The thing that concerns me is that he is practicing a shot he won't take in games.    By this I mean that he jumps in games and here he is not.   Practice that is not in game conditions or game speed is dubious in value.  In game a guy will be on you, and you will have to jump to get the shot off, not the set shot hop that he is doing in the video.

« Reply #49 on: September 30, 2016, 06:41:40 PM »

Offline The Oracle

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 597

Hehehehe put the kool-aid down brother! Smart is a fine player for a second year going into his third year. But right now he's at best a bench player, he has a lot to improve on.

Personally I don't think his shot is that bad but he has no discipline when it comes to shot selection. If he takes less bad shots and drives a little more, it would help his game a ton.
Why do you assume that Smart has no discipline with his shot selection?  The Celtics had basic trash as far as scoring options off of the bench last year other than Olynyk.  I have always assumed it was Brad that was asking him to force the issue and try and create as much as he could, probably as much for his development as it was necessary.  Smart should be in a much better spot this year with better floor spacing, the ball in his hands more and hopefully healthy. 

« Reply #50 on: September 30, 2016, 07:52:35 PM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen

Why do you assume that Smart has no discipline with his shot selection?  The Celtics had basic trash as far as scoring options off of the bench last year other than Olynyk.  I have always assumed it was Brad that was asking him to force the issue and try and create as much as he could, probably as much for his development as it was necessary.  Smart should be in a much better spot this year with better floor spacing, the ball in his hands more and hopefully healthy.

I watched the games and watch him jack up plenty of bad timed or ill advised shots. I find it hard to believe that CBS wanted those shots, do you really think he liked those shots?

« Reply #51 on: September 30, 2016, 08:28:06 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471

I watched the games and watch him jack up plenty of bad timed or ill advised shots. I find it hard to believe that CBS wanted those shots, do you really think he liked those shots?

Sully averaged 1.3 three pointers last season, after averaging 2.8 and 3.2 the previous two seasons.  He was very clearly being told by the team to be at the three point line and jack up shots and then very clearly told to stop doing that.

Mike

« Reply #52 on: September 30, 2016, 08:29:35 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804

well danny said he has to take better shots. he will imo. people need to let these guys develope.
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #53 on: September 30, 2016, 08:33:01 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
A lot of how far the Celtics go just flat out depends on these two fellows making shots . 

« Reply #54 on: September 30, 2016, 08:38:05 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

The dip is definitely still there, but it just looks a lot quicker.  I'd like to see if he's actually improved how quick he can get shots off by an appreciable amount
I'm bitter.

« Reply #55 on: September 30, 2016, 08:42:05 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
Smart is one of my favourites, shooting warts and all. I also see Rozier as having more value around the league toward the end of the year as teams are always looking for bouncy young guards who can go get theirs. Which may make you think "why would we get rid of him then?" Well, because we need to consolidate some assets and we are fortunate to have many in the backcourt. Therefore I see the ones with the highest league value being traded. Guys like Rozier and KO, maybe Brown and Crowder if the trade is a big one.

Rozier and KO for Okafor is one I'd like to see at the deadline. I think that both Noel and Okafor could be out of Philly at the trade deadline. Say that deal goes down and then Noel for Crabbe or something like that, suddenly Philly looks in better shape

I would rather stab myself un the testicles with a shard of broken glass then trade Olynyk and Rozier for Okafor.  Olynyk is a better NBA player then Jahlil Okafor.

« Reply #56 on: September 30, 2016, 08:47:37 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875

Because he averaged twenty something percent from three and chucked up something like 3 a game, many of which was horrible decisions.

Smart is a better player then Rozier right now, but Rozier IMHO has far, far higher upside.  I belive that by the end of this year Rozier will be making Smart look highly limited abd largely redundant.

« Reply #57 on: October 02, 2016, 02:36:03 AM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
Smart hasn't maxed his game yet.  Be patient.  It sounds like he improved his stroke over the summer.  So before you buy into the Rozier hype, just watch some real games first.  Pre-season and summer league mean very little.

« Reply #58 on: October 02, 2016, 03:21:08 AM »

Offline konkmv

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
Calm down... smart is 2 years ahead... smart will play 25-28 min and rozier 10-14

« Reply #59 on: October 02, 2016, 06:25:56 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Smart hasn't maxed his game yet.  Be patient.  It sounds like he improved his stroke over the summer.  So before you buy into the Rozier hype, just watch some real games first.  Pre-season and summer league mean very little.

So its ok, to get excited about Smart's new stroke in preseason but not Rozier.   That is pretty hypocritical and funny if you ask me.