Author Topic: Woj says we aren't getting an allstar  (Read 6357 times)

Re: Woj says we aren't getting an allstar
« Reply #60 on: June 22, 2016, 03:32:12 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
Well, Rose was traded to the knicks, so you can cross Butler off the wish list.  It's not happening.

That's just as much of the beginning of a blow-up as it is a build-up move of any sort. As it stands now, they're not even close to a playoff team next year.

Yup.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #61 on: June 22, 2016, 04:16:17 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Here's how I kind of expect it to shake out

Simmons goes 1
Ingram goes 2

Boston on the clock

Danny:  "ok check the lines... Who has called us?"

Assistant:  "Just teams late in the draft trying to trade up."

Danny:  "Crap.  Quick - up our offer for Butler"

Assistant:  "Firm no from Chicago.  Running out of time boss."

Danny:  "Everyone - up all of our offers for Middleton, Hayward, Parker, and Cousins."

Assistant 2:  "Still no from Utah"

Assistant 3:  "Double no from the Bucks, boss."

Assistant 4:  "Vlade is out smokin a ciggie but it sounds like a no."

Danny:  *Sigh*...  "Alright.  Fine.  Get Philly on the line.  Let them know we will do Okafor for #3 if they throw in Covington.  Counter with asking for Stauskas.

(Pause)

Assistant 5:  "... Philly is saying no."

Danny:   "UGGgghh!  Give me the [dang] phone!" (Grabs phone)

Danny:  "Hi. This is Danny Ainge.  Put one of the Colangelos on the line, please."

Assistant 1:  "One minute left, Boss."

Danny:  "Hi.  Brian?  Hey.  It's Danny. #3 for Okafor.  Let's call it in. You win. "

(Pause)

Danny:  "What!?  You want me to throw in Marcus Smart!?  No way!   Come on.  Let's be reasonable.  #3 and I'll throw in a 2nd rounder since you were so patient with me."

Assistant 3:  "Woj reporting philly close to trading Okafor to the Suns."

Assistant 1:  "Thirty seconds boss... We gotta call in our pick"

Danny:  (panic) "Brian - No time here.   Your choice.  With #3 I'll include either #16, Terry Rozier, RJ hunter or James young.  I'll take either okafor or Noel.  Let's do this. "

This is cute and all but you realize there have been multiple reports that Boston will not accept Okafor or Noel for the number 3 pick.... is this pure satire or you think Ainge is going to flip out and do a terrible deal out of panic.
Maybe Not yet.  We will see how they feel when they are on the clock.  Plenty of people still saying it will happen.
Yeah, I actually believe this scenario.  I think if Okafor was really available for JUST the #3 pick, DA does it in a heartbeat.  I think what's really going on is Philly wants more than just the #3 (reports not withstanding).
I take everything i read this week with a grain of salt, but my honest guess is that Philly is willing to sell Okafor for 75 cents on the dollar and take the #3 pick from us, but Danny first wants to exhaust all possibilities in grabbing a "star" who can help lure talent in free agency.  Jimmy Butler might be a draw in free agency.  While i think the anti-Okafor stuff on this forum is absurd and the kid might still develop into a star, I can't imagine him being a draw.  And if Boston intends to go hard after Durant and Horford (who plays Okafor's position basically), they probably would prefer to land a Middleton, Hayward, Parker or Butler.   

I'm just saying that if none of those "better" options are on the table (as Woj claims), Okafor for #3 is probably happening.  Ainge is all about taking the best player available.  Okafor is a better asset than any of the guys available at 3.   We also have a history of rejuvenating trade value.  Okafor after a year on a hapless 10 win team as a 20 year old rookie probably is less valuable than Okafor after a year contributing to a borderline 50 win playoff team as a 21 year old sophomore. 

« Reply #62 on: June 22, 2016, 04:20:53 PM »

Offline heyvik

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 75
Here's how I kind of expect it to shake out

Simmons goes 1
Ingram goes 2

Boston on the clock

Danny:  "ok check the lines... Who has called us?"

Assistant:  "Just teams late in the draft trying to trade up."

Danny:  "Crap.  Quick - up our offer for Butler"

Assistant:  "Firm no from Chicago.  Running out of time boss."

Danny:  "Everyone - up all of our offers for Middleton, Hayward, Parker, and Cousins."

Assistant 2:  "Still no from Utah"

Assistant 3:  "Double no from the Bucks, boss."

Assistant 4:  "Vlade is out smokin a ciggie but it sounds like a no."

Danny:  *Sigh*...  "Alright.  Fine.  Get Philly on the line.  Let them know we will do Okafor for #3 if they throw in Covington.  Counter with asking for Stauskas.

(Pause)

Assistant 5:  "... Philly is saying no."

Danny:   "UGGgghh!  Give me the [dang] phone!" (Grabs phone)

Danny:  "Hi. This is Danny Ainge.  Put one of the Colangelos on the line, please."

Assistant 1:  "One minute left, Boss."

Danny:  "Hi.  Brian?  Hey.  It's Danny. #3 for Okafor.  Let's call it in. You win. "

(Pause)

Danny:  "What!?  You want me to throw in Marcus Smart!?  No way!   Come on.  Let's be reasonable.  #3 and I'll throw in a 2nd rounder since you were so patient with me."

Assistant 3:  "Woj reporting philly close to trading Okafor to the Suns."

Assistant 1:  "Thirty seconds boss... We gotta call in our pick"

Danny:  (panic) "Brian - No time here.   Your choice.  With #3 I'll include either #16, Terry Rozier, RJ hunter or James young.  I'll take either okafor or Noel.  Let's do this. "

This is cute and all but you realize there have been multiple reports that Boston will not accept Okafor or Noel for the number 3 pick.... is this pure satire or you think Ainge is going to flip out and do a terrible deal out of panic.
Maybe Not yet.  We will see how they feel when they are on the clock.  Plenty of people still saying it will happen.
Yeah, I actually believe this scenario.  I think if Okafor was really available for JUST the #3 pick, DA does it in a heartbeat.  I think what's really going on is Philly wants more than just the #3 (reports not withstanding).
I take everything i read this week with a grain of salt, but my honest guess is that Philly is willing to sell Okafor for 75 cents on the dollar and take the #3 pick from us, but Danny first wants to exhaust all possibilities in grabbing a "star" who can help lure talent in free agency.  Jimmy Butler might be a draw in free agency.  While i think the anti-Okafor stuff on this forum is absurd and the kid might still develop into a star, I can't imagine him being a draw.  And if Boston intends to go hard after Durant and Horford (who plays Okafor's position basically), they probably would prefer to land a Middleton, Hayward, Parker or Butler.   

I'm just saying that if none of those "better" options are on the table (as Woj claims), Okafor for #3 is probably happening.  Ainge is all about taking the best player available.  Okafor is a better asset than any of the guys available at 3.

I think either Stein or Woj reported that ATL is hoping to resign Horford. and if we were to use #3 for Butler, what would we have left for Okafor/Noel (who I prefer)

« Reply #63 on: June 22, 2016, 04:28:11 PM »

Offline mnshyn

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 16
  • Forever Green
considering the rebuilding move they just made in trading away Rose?  i don't think the Bulls are looking to part with Butler any time soon.
Play to win.  Always.