Author Topic: Woj says we aren't getting an allstar  (Read 6356 times)

Re: Woj says we aren't getting an allstar
« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2016, 01:57:35 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2930
Eh, whatever.  It's unlikely the Celtics are getting an All-Star for #3.  So it's easy to say they won't.  All-stars rarely get traded, especially on draft night.  Teams will want to see what happens in free agency.  While there's some advantage in trading for the pick on draft night to control it, when the pick is that high, it's unlikely a team would not be at all interested in the player.

Also, I would point out that of the names Woj mentioned (from Stein), only one of them is actually an All-Star.  In 13 months, Gordon Hayward will be a Celtic, unless they fill up their cap room next summer in advance.  It's up to the Jazz if they want to get something for him before he goes.  He already tried to leave once, but the Jazz matched his offer sheet.

That's what I keep saying, too. They're pretty much going to lose him next summer anyways, so why not get as much as you can for him now? Of course, they probably feel like a playoff berth this season might convince him to stay, which seems pretty crazy to me when we're going to be making the playoffs for the third straight year this year.

« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2016, 01:59:38 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2930
Here's how I kind of expect it to shake out

Simmons goes 1
Ingram goes 2

Boston on the clock

Danny:  "ok check the lines... Who has called us?"

Assistant:  "Just teams late in the draft trying to trade up."

Danny:  "Crap.  Quick - up our offer for Butler"

Assistant:  "Firm no from Chicago.  Running out of time boss."

Danny:  "Everyone - up all of our offers for Middleton, Hayward, Parker, and Cousins."

Assistant 2:  "Still no from Utah"

Assistant 3:  "Double no from the Bucks, boss."

Assistant 4:  "Vlade is out smokin a ciggie but it sounds like a no."

Danny:  *Sigh*...  "Alright.  Fine.  Get Philly on the line.  Let them know we will do Okafor for #3 if they throw in Covington.  Counter with asking for Stauskas.

(Pause)

Assistant 5:  "... Philly is saying no."

Danny:   "UGGgghh!  Give me the [dang] phone!" (Grabs phone)

Danny:  "Hi. This is Danny Ainge.  Put one of the Colangelos on the line, please."

Assistant 1:  "One minute left, Boss."

Danny:  "Hi.  Brian?  Hey.  It's Danny. #3 for Okafor.  Let's call it in. You win. "

(Pause)

Danny:  "What!?  You want me to throw in Marcus Smart!?  No way!   Come on.  Let's be reasonable.  #3 and I'll throw in a 2nd rounder since you were so patient with me."

Assistant 3:  "Woj reporting philly close to trading Okafor to the Suns."

Assistant 1:  "Thirty seconds boss... We gotta call in our pick"

Danny:  (panic) "Brian - No time here.   Your choice.  With #3 I'll include either #16, Terry Rozier, RJ hunter or James young.  I'll take either okafor or Noel.  Let's do this. "

It's already on record that there's a standing offer from Philly for either Okafor or Noel for number three. At the very least we're going to get someone like Covington or Stauskas back with Noel, but we're certainly not adding anything to it.

« Reply #32 on: June 22, 2016, 02:03:31 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

Simmons goes 1
Ingram goes 2

Boston on the clock

Danny:  "Okay, Dunn it is, then"

FTFY

I personally think it'll be Brown, but I agree with that thought process.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #33 on: June 22, 2016, 02:04:35 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
Another classic "water is wet" story from Woj.

Why people consider him an NBA oracle escapes me.

Ainge is doing his due diligence before he spins that dog pick to Philly for Okafor or Noel. Nothing more. Nothing less.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #34 on: June 22, 2016, 02:11:53 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

Ainge is doing his due diligence before he spins that dog pick to Philly for Okafor or Noel. Nothing more. Nothing less.

He's extremely well plugged in, so when he reports that something is happening, it's happening.

When it comes to his articles, analysis, and speculation, though, he tends to do people favors and play favorites.  Look at all the stuff he put out about Lebron when he was a FA: Woj doesn't like him and it showed.  Same goes for those mysterious times when someone appears on his show and then magically there's a puff piece about that person or someone closely tied to them.  He's a really plugged in reporter, but at times it seems like he may be a little too plugged in
I'm bitter.

« Reply #35 on: June 22, 2016, 02:15:57 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593
For some historical perspective, I believe this is all the trades centered around a top 10 draft draft pick for an established player that went down on or around draft night since 2001 (so excluding Wiggins for Love, since that happened well after the draft and happened based on what went down in free agency):

2013: Jrue Holiday for the #6 pick (Nerlens Noel)
2007: Ray Allen for the #5 pick (Jeff Green)
2007: Jason Richardson for the #8 pick (Brandon Wright)
2006: Shane Battier for the #8 pick (Rudy Gay)
2006: Sebastian Telfair for the #7 pick (Randy Foye)
2004: Antawn Jameson for #5 pick (Devin Harris)
2001: Shareef Adbur-Rahim for the #3 pick (Pau Gasol)
2001: Elton Brand for the #2 pick (Tyson Chandler)

(Feel free to let me know if I missed any).

A few all-stars/borderline all-stars have been traded in the past, but nothing has really happened in the last 9 years.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #36 on: June 22, 2016, 02:21:12 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Nothing's set in stone until draft night, but for me, Woj is the most trustworthy basketball reporter on the planet, so I tend to believe what he says.

And what he says here basically confirms my fears/suspicions: that it'll be another quiet draft night, no fireworks, and a continuation of the holding pattern we've been seeing for a couple of years now. Lots of people keep saying, "Danny's gotta do something at some point—at the next draft, the next FA period, the next trade deadline," but it keeps not happening.

I'm not trying to underestimate him, but I think his reputation is such that it's going to be very difficult for him to strike anymore of those one-sided deals for which he's known.

Its not 'just another quiet draft night' when we are picking at #3 and have 6 picks total.

We have 8 picks, but either way, I guess you and I have different definitions of "quiet."

For me, having numerous draft picks doesn't equate to excitement, particularly since most of them will either be traded for some minor asset, or used to select draft-and-stash guys or guys who have very little chance of becoming something special.

The No. 3, of course, could be quite special, but I'm having a hard time getting excited about anyone not named Simmons or Ingram, and I'm not really excited about trading the No. 3 for Okafor.

Any of these scenarios could work out well, of course, and I'll be happy if they do, but it seems that the most likely scenario is that no matter what happens, we'll still have to wait a couple more years (at least) to see the payoff. Or we'll just see more of Danny holding steady.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #37 on: June 22, 2016, 02:25:36 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas

He's extremely well plugged in, so when he reports that something is happening, it's happening.

When it comes to his articles, analysis, and speculation, though, he tends to do people favors and play favorites.  Look at all the stuff he put out about Lebron when he was a FA: Woj doesn't like him and it showed.  Same goes for those mysterious times when someone appears on his show and then magically there's a puff piece about that person or someone closely tied to them.  He's a really plugged in reporter, but at times it seems like he may be a little too plugged in

He's not as plugged in as the myth that surrounds him.

I could have told you a month ago Ainge wasn't going to get an all-star for the third pick in a two-player draft. The best he's going to be able to do - and should do - is a young player who projects as an all-star later with growth in their game. Hint, hint.

Guess no one else is all that excited either about the Euromistake, eh? I wish some of you guys were running the Bulls so we could trade Blender for Jimmy Butler. LOL.

;D
« Last Edit: June 22, 2016, 02:34:04 PM by CoachBo »

« Reply #38 on: June 22, 2016, 02:34:02 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466

Simmons goes 1
Ingram goes 2

Boston on the clock

Danny:  "Crap.  Quick - up our offer for Butler"

Assistant:  "Firm no from Chicago.  Running out of time boss."

Danny:  "Everyone - up all of our offers for Middleton, Hayward, Parker, and Cousins."

Assistant 2:  "Still no from Utah"

Assistant 3:  "Double no from the Bucks, boss."

Assistant 4:  "Vlade is out smokin a ciggie but it sounds like a no."

Danny:  *Sigh*...  "Alright.  Fine.  Get Philly on the line.  Let them know we will do Okafor for #3 if they throw in Covington.  Counter with asking for Stauskas.

(Pause)

Assistant 5:  "... Philly is saying no."

Danny:   "UGGgghh!  Give me the [dang] phone!" (Grabs phone)

Danny:  "Hi. This is Danny Ainge.  Put one of the Colangelos on the line, please."

Assistant 1:  "One minute left, Boss."

Danny:  "Hi.  Brian?  Hey.  It's Danny. #3 for Okafor.  Let's call it in. You win. "

(Pause)

Danny:  "What!?  You want me to throw in Marcus Smart!?  No way!   Come on.  Let's be reasonable.  #3 and I'll throw in a 2nd rounder since you were so patient with me."

Assistant 3:  "Woj reporting philly close to trading Okafor to the Suns."

Assistant 1:  "Thirty seconds boss... We gotta call in our pick"

Danny:  (panic) "Brian - No time here.   Your choice.  With #3 I'll include either #16, Terry Rozier, RJ hunter or James young.  I'll take either okafor or Noel.  Let's do this. "

This is cute and all but you realize there have been multiple reports that Boston will not accept Okafor or Noel for the number 3 pick.... is this pure satire or you think Ainge is going to flip out and do a terrible deal out of panic.
Maybe Not yet.  We will see how they feel when they are on the clock.  Plenty of people still saying it will happen.
Yeah, I actually believe this scenario.  I think if Okafor was really available for JUST the #3 pick, DA does it in a heartbeat.  I think what's really going on is Philly wants more than just the #3 (reports not withstanding).

« Reply #39 on: June 22, 2016, 02:36:52 PM »

Offline PaulAllen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 55
HEY Woj!!

an allstar just went for the 12th pick...
what else do you have for us???

« Reply #40 on: June 22, 2016, 02:37:50 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
HEY Woj!!

Took the words right out of my mouth.

Plugged in? Guffaw.

« Reply #41 on: June 22, 2016, 02:40:26 PM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
This is really a red herring. Teams don't trade all stars for draft picks. Teams sign all stars as free agents.

« Reply #42 on: June 22, 2016, 02:45:39 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
HEY Woj!!

Remind me what trade this was?

« Reply #43 on: June 22, 2016, 02:46:01 PM »

Offline PaulAllen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 55
This is really a red herring. Teams don't trade all stars for draft picks. Teams sign all stars as free agents.

nah. Andrew Wiggins Ray allen...just off the top of my head

« Reply #44 on: June 22, 2016, 02:48:22 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Well then Woj isn't getting any TPs from us
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC