Author Topic: Woj says we aren't getting an allstar  (Read 6351 times)

Re: Woj says we aren't getting an allstar
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2016, 01:23:09 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
I feel extremely confident that someone in the 3 to 8 range in this year's draft is going to end up being a multi-year all star.

If we end up keeping the pick, it's up to Danny to get the right guy.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2016, 01:23:35 PM »

Offline Ed Hollison

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 195
Woj is the most trustworthy basketball reporter on the planet, so I tend to believe what he says.

Agree. This guy is not a hack. He knows what he's talking about. Of course he could still be wrong, but let's see.

I don't understand why some people are so scared of using the #3. It's #3! You can get a stud at that position, historically. Roll the dice, see what you get, consolidate/roll over the other picks, and keep improving your team. Patience.
"A thought of hatred must be destroyed by a more powerful thought of love."

http://fruittreeblog.com

« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2016, 01:24:02 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Here's how I kind of expect it to shake out

Simmons goes 1
Ingram goes 2

Boston on the clock

Danny:  "ok check the lines... Who has called us?"

Assistant:  "Just teams late in the draft trying to trade up."

Danny:  "Crap.  Quick - up our offer for Butler"

Assistant:  "Firm no from Chicago.  Running out of time boss."

Danny:  "Everyone - up all of our offers for Middleton, Hayward, Parker, and Cousins."

Assistant 2:  "Still no from Utah"

Assistant 3:  "Double no from the Bucks, boss."

Assistant 4:  "Vlade is out smokin a ciggie but it sounds like a no."

Danny:  *Sigh*...  "Alright.  Fine.  Get Philly on the line.  Let them know we will do Okafor for #3 if they throw in Covington.  Counter with asking for Stauskas.

(Pause)

Assistant 5:  "... Philly is saying no."

Danny:   "UGGgghh!  Give me the [dang] phone!" (Grabs phone)

Danny:  "Hi. This is Danny Ainge.  Put one of the Colangelos on the line, please."

Assistant 1:  "One minute left, Boss."

Danny:  "Hi.  Brian?  Hey.  It's Danny. #3 for Okafor.  Let's call it in. You win. "

(Pause)

Danny:  "What!?  You want me to throw in Marcus Smart!?  No way!   Come on.  Let's be reasonable.  #3 and I'll throw in a 2nd rounder since you were so patient with me."

Assistant 3:  "Woj reporting philly close to trading Okafor to the Suns."

Assistant 1:  "Thirty seconds boss... We gotta call in our pick"

Danny:  (panic) "Brian - No time here.   Your choice.  With #3 I'll include either #16, Terry Rozier, RJ hunter or James young.  I'll take either okafor or Noel.  Let's do this. "

« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2016, 01:24:41 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2703
Nothing's set in stone until draft night, but for me, Woj is the most trustworthy basketball reporter on the planet, so I tend to believe what he says.

And what he says here basically confirms my fears/suspicions: that it'll be another quiet draft night, no fireworks, and a continuation of the holding pattern we've been seeing for a couple of years now. Lots of people keep saying, "Danny's gotta do something at some point—at the next draft, the next FA period, the next trade deadline," but it keeps not happening.

I'm not trying to underestimate him, but I think his reputation is such that it's going to be very difficult for him to strike anymore of those one-sided deals for which he's known.

Its not 'just another quiet draft night' when we are picking at #3 and have 6 picks total.

« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2016, 01:24:56 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
Woj is the most trustworthy basketball reporter on the planet, so I tend to believe what he says.

Agree. This guy is not a hack. He knows what he's talking about. Of course he could still be wrong, but let's see.

I don't understand why some people are so scared of using the #3. It's #3! You can get a stud at that position, historically. Roll the dice, see what you get, consolidate/roll over the other picks, and keep improving your team. Patience.

Noone is saying he's not, but they just feel it's his speculation.

« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2016, 01:28:34 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 238
That's the thing the #3 pick could equal a future allstar, but we are looking for veterans apparently that have that same potential I would guess. We just aren't getting a current one according to Woj.

« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2016, 01:38:27 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I'd rather see us just pick at 3 than over pay for a guy who isn't quite a star.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2016, 01:40:06 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
I'm just trying to think of what players in the nba are solid veterans that could be an allstar in the right  situation. There aren't many players like that and the media doesn't have us targetting anyone like that either.

The league is full of overpaid veterans and young players that don't really play like veterans yet if ever.

Isaiah Thomas was that.  Ainge found him.  Okafor could be but is still very young and has flaws to his game just like Isaiah.

« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2016, 01:40:40 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Eh, whatever.  It's unlikely the Celtics are getting an All-Star for #3.  So it's easy to say they won't.  All-stars rarely get traded, especially on draft night.  Teams will want to see what happens in free agency.  While there's some advantage in trading for the pick on draft night to control it, when the pick is that high, it's unlikely a team would not be at all interested in the player.

Also, I would point out that of the names Woj mentioned (from Stein), only one of them is actually an All-Star.  In 13 months, Gordon Hayward will be a Celtic, unless they fill up their cap room next summer in advance.  It's up to the Jazz if they want to get something for him before he goes.  He already tried to leave once, but the Jazz matched his offer sheet.
Agree, and it's easy to say there's no deal, until there is one, which probably won't happen until tomorrow night. 

« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2016, 01:42:58 PM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

Simmons goes 1
Ingram goes 2

Boston on the clock

Danny:  "Okay, Dunn it is, then"

FTFY
I'm bitter.

« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2016, 01:48:21 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
Are we going to play Dunn, Marcus and  Isaiah all at the same time?

« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2016, 01:48:45 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1394

Simmons goes 1
Ingram goes 2

Boston on the clock

Danny:  "Everyone - up all of our offers for Middleton, Hayward, Parker, and Cousins."

Danny:  *Sigh*...  "Alright.  Fine.  Get Philly on the line.  Let them know we will do Okafor for #3 if they throw in Covington.  Counter with asking for Stauskas.

(Pause)

Danny:  "Hi. This is Danny Ainge.  Put one of the Colangelos on the line, please."

Danny:  "Hi.  Brian?  Hey.  It's Danny. #3 for Okafor.  Let's call it in. You win. "

(Pause)

Danny:  "What!?  You want me to throw in Marcus Smart!?  No way!   Come on.  Let's be reasonable.  #3 and I'll throw in a 2nd rounder since you were so patient with me."

Danny:  (panic) "Brian - No time here.   Your choice.  With #3 I'll include either #16, Terry Rozier, RJ hunter or James young.  I'll take either okafor or Noel.  Let's do this. "

This is cute and all but you realize there have been multiple reports that Boston will not accept Okafor or Noel for the number 3 pick.... is this pure satire or you think Ainge is going to flip out and do a terrible deal out of panic.

« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2016, 01:49:10 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I kind of like that Ainge may have learned a lesson from last year trying to trade up to 9 and is just saying "No. I'm not overpaying."  If all these teams think they can keep their guys in free agency good for them. But baring something fantastic we're 2 years away and these teams are 3 years away. We're already better than them in the playoffs so let's see who keeps their guys in free agency and who doesn't. Don't come back to me crying for a sign and trade 2 years from now. I'm just signing your guys outright when that happens.

« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2016, 01:50:37 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Here are some players that we could get that could become all stars

Marcus Smart
Terry Rozier
3rd pick
Jordan Mickey
Avery Bradley
Jae Crowder

There is no particular reason those guys can't become all stars. A stretch? Maybe. Impossible. Heck no.

« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2016, 01:51:18 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

Simmons goes 1
Ingram goes 2

Boston on the clock

(Pause)

(Pause)

This is cute and all but you realize there have been multiple reports that Boston will not accept Okafor or Noel for the number 3 pick.... is this pure satire or you think Ainge is going to flip out and do a terrible deal out of panic.
Maybe Not yet.  We will see how they feel when they are on the clock.  Plenty of people still saying it will happen.