Author Topic: Woj says we aren't getting an allstar  (Read 6352 times)

Woj says we aren't getting an allstar
« on: June 22, 2016, 12:57:24 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 238
http://www.masslive.com/celtics/index.ssf/2016/06/2016_nba_draft_rumors_boston_c_8.html

Boston and Phoenix, right until they make those picks at 7:45 or 7:50 Eastern (on draft night), they're going to be chasing veterans," Wojnarowski said recently on his podcast.

ESPN's Marc Stein reported Tuesday night that the Celtics have tried (and so far failed) to strike deals for Jimmy Butler, Khris Middleton, Jabari Parker and Gordon Hayward. Wojnarowski thinks the Celtics and Suns, who hold the third and fourth picks, respectively, are "not getting All-Stars for those picks."

"Neither wants to draft a player there," Wojnarowski said. "They want to trade those picks to get a very good (player). I think they'd ideally like to get an All-Star. They're not getting All-Stars for those picks. Jimmy Butler, Gordon Hayward, players that those teams are calling on -- they are not available, they're not getting (traded) for a pick in this draft. I'm not sure that those kind of players you (could trade pick No.) 1 or 2 for an All-Star player. I'm not sure anyone's that sold on (Brandon) Ingram or (Ben) Simmons that they would trade an established All-Star now, or a budding All-Star."

So Butler, Hayward, etc are out.  Already been reported in ways but more clarification.  So it's down to drafting Bender or Brown or making a deal with philly or something else I'm missing.

Re: Woj says we aren't getting an allstar
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2016, 01:01:32 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
It's more like his speculation than actual reported fact.

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2016, 01:01:53 PM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
Woj with the mic drop! (At least until draft night)

Still fully expecting DA to make a trade though.
- LilRip

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2016, 01:05:46 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2929

Yeah, and there's still 30 hours before the draft. Things regularly change in these kinds of situations.

I still don't see how it makes sense for Chicago to keep Butler. There's value for him on the market, and they should start a bidding war for him between us and Minny.

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2016, 01:09:32 PM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141

Yup. It's BS. Funny how a whole lot of negative stuff comes out of NY on the Celtics just before deadlines. Yahoo is also NY. Not to be taken seriously.

Celts have lots of leverage at #3, and are in great shape, no matter what they do--almost.

The worst thing they can do is screw up their chemistry, trading their strengths for an "all star." The best thing is to upgrade up front--where they are woefully weak for a 48 win team.

They have a match with Philly, and they need to pull the trigger.

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2016, 01:09:36 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo

Yeah, and there's still 30 hours before the draft. Things regularly change in these kinds of situations.

I still don't see how it makes sense for Chicago to keep Butler. There's value for him on the market, and they should start a bidding war for him between us and Minny.

"They aren't getting an allstar" is a statement of fact though.   Can Ainge Aingebomb woj?  Anything is possible!!!!  But  I doubt it.

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2016, 01:12:00 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
there is a key qualifier there. "for those picks" I dont mean to speak for Cs blog but I dont believe many thought the Cs could get an all-star player for the #3 pick alone.

I still think #3 and Bradley or Smart or something like that could get an all star.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2016, 01:12:15 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo

"They aren't getting an allstar" is a statement of fact though.   Can Ainge Aingebomb woj?  Anything is possible!!!!  But  I doubt it.

Again that's him just coming up with a conclusion after going through the reports.

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2016, 01:13:17 PM »

Offline heyvik

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 75
getting really bummed, but neither Hayward or Middleton are all stars .....correct?

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2016, 01:15:08 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Nothing's set in stone until draft night, but for me, Woj is the most trustworthy basketball reporter on the planet, so I tend to believe what he says.

And what he says here basically confirms my fears/suspicions: that it'll be another quiet draft night, no fireworks, and a continuation of the holding pattern we've been seeing for a couple of years now. Lots of people keep saying, "Danny's gotta do something at some point—at the next draft, the next FA period, the next trade deadline," but it keeps not happening.

I'm not trying to underestimate him, but I think his reputation is such that it's going to be very difficult for him to strike anymore of those one-sided deals for which he's known.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2016, 01:18:54 PM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567
Nothing's set in stone until draft night, but for me, Woj is the most trustworthy basketball reporter on the planet, so I tend to believe what he says.

And what he says here basically confirms my fears/suspicions: that it'll be another quiet draft night, no fireworks, and a continuation of the holding pattern we've been seeing for a couple of years now. Lots of people keep saying, "Danny's gotta do something at some point—at the next draft, the next FA period, the next trade deadline," but it keeps not happening.

I'm not trying to underestimate him, but I think his reputation is such that it's going to be very difficult for him to strike anymore of those one-sided deals for which he's known.

And so the worst case scenario is the #3 pick in the draft.

That's fine by me.
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2016, 01:19:39 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo

And so the worst case scenario is the #3 pick in the draft.

That's fine by me.

Yeah, gotta be patient, rebuilding takes time. The Celtics gotta keep trying.

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2016, 01:20:25 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
Danny is a pretty competitive guy.  I wouldn't say I doubt him so much as just digress here.  I think Ainge has proven people wrong before.  But I kind of take Woj's word as pretty reliable.  There are always exceptions though.

Ainge was bitten by a Tree once.

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2016, 01:21:17 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Eh, whatever.  It's unlikely the Celtics are getting an All-Star for #3.  So it's easy to say they won't.  All-stars rarely get traded, especially on draft night.  Teams will want to see what happens in free agency.  While there's some advantage in trading for the pick on draft night to control it, when the pick is that high, it's unlikely a team would not be at all interested in the player.

Also, I would point out that of the names Woj mentioned (from Stein), only one of them is actually an All-Star.  In 13 months, Gordon Hayward will be a Celtic, unless they fill up their cap room next summer in advance.  It's up to the Jazz if they want to get something for him before he goes.  He already tried to leave once, but the Jazz matched his offer sheet.

« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2016, 01:22:56 PM »

Offline TwinTower14

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48
I have settled on either Brown or the 3rd pick for Noel or Okafor.  I am fine with either outcome..