Author Topic: Can we get both Chris Paul and Dwight Howard?  (Read 2421 times)

Can we get both Chris Paul and Dwight Howard?
« on: May 15, 2011, 11:41:06 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
I just can't figure it out.

Looking at the numbers, we only have $29.4M in salaries [Pierce, Rondo, Bradley (team option)] in 2012. But then we have to factor in this offseason's signings.

Does Green take the QO? Or look for a multi-year deal? Let's say multi-year deal and we get him at a $6M starting salary. next year which brings it to nearly $7M in 2012.

Cap is now at $36.4M.

Delonte? Lets use the LLE on him, and give him up to $2.5M in 2012.

Cap: $38.9M.

Now we need to use our MLE this summer to compete next season (we are not taking a step back for free agency). So let's add another ~$6.5M in 2012.

So now we have $45.4M committed in 2012 to Pierce, Rondo, Green, MLE, Delonte and Bradley without any draft signings.

Now let's trade for the first piece: Chris Paul and his $16.4M contract. Rondo will be used at $10M, and maybe someone like BBD in a S&T (hopefully him being a hometown guy will make them want him...hopefully), whoever our first-round pick is this year and future draft picks (including one of our/LAC 2012 first-round picks and a pick or two down the road).

Will that be enough? I don't know. But for argument's sake, let's say Ainge finds a way to use Rondo and whomever (sans the Big Three) to get CP3.

Take off Rondo's $11M cap number and add Chris Paul's $17.8M option for 2012.

The new cap figure for the summer of 2012 is $52.2M for CP3, Pierce, Green, MLE, Delonte, and Bradley.

Basically, even if we get CP3, don't sign any of our second round picks (traded our first this year to NOH), don't sign any vets to multi-year deals, and don't keep players like Krstic and Wafer, we still can't sign D12.

So can we trade for him too?

He's making $18.1M next season, so we will have to come

Can we package together some combination of Green, this year's MLE, West, Bradley, Krstic S&T, etc. with our other first-round draft pick (gave one to NOH for CP3 already) and a future pick or two? I'd even use Ray to match salaries (they buy him out and he can return in a month).

If Dwight turns this into 'Melo v2.0, Orlando may not have many options. What Denver got probably isn't as good as as what we can offer Orlando, but D12 is more coveted than 'Melo.

So, is it really even possible to land both? I don't see trading for CP3 and signing D12 even being possible if the CBA stays even remotely the same. I also don't see us being able to lure Howard here with Rondo when DWill or CP3 can lure him someplace possibly more appealing to him.

The only way I see it happening is if Ainge finds a way to facilitate two separate trades for superstars. Surely that's impossible, right?

*looks back to summer of 2007*
CELTICS 2024

Re: Can we get both Chris Paul and Dwight Howard?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2011, 09:07:31 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
As you showed, it's not going to be possible to trade for CP3 and to sign Howard if we also expect to sign Green and somebody for the MLE.

However, I do think it would be within the realm of possibility to trade for Paul, to use the MLE and other exceptions on one year contracts, and to re-up Green for his qualifying offer.  Under those circumstances, we'd have something like $37 million committed in 2012, between CP3, Pierce, and Bradley.  That would most likely be enough to sign Howard.

Yes, we'd have to give up Green, but a core of CP3 + Howard is possible.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2011, 10:38:12 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 395

i think i speak for everybody when i say, "I'd rather have a core of CP3+Howard rather than keeping Jeff Green"
- LilRip

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2011, 10:55:58 AM »

Offline Spilling Green Dye

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 115

i think i speak for everybody when i say, "I'd rather have a core of CP3+Howard rather than keeping Jeff Green"

Uhh.. yeah, but despite how the OP layed it out I don't think it could happen.  Orlando could get more than that from other teams.  And why would they want Krstic, Ray (who wouldn't stay long), or anyone else?  I could kind of see Green being desireable to them, but not much.

Honestly I think if they trade Dwight it'll be a combo package of 1 good/great young guy + getting rid of Arenas or another back contract.

Perhaps a KG + Green + Draft Pick for a S&T Dwight + Bad Contract (Arenas, Turk, or someone else). 

Personally I'm all for it.  Having Chris Paul & Dwight Howard on the same team would mean we'd be very relevant for years to come.