Author Topic: Celtics free agents: who do we keep?  (Read 12878 times)

Re: Celtics free agents: who do we keep?
« Reply #45 on: May 18, 2009, 05:52:31 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
I'd like to see Powe signed for short money with a club option for the 2nd year.

Probably let Davis walk unless, by some miracle, he can be had for something cheap which I don't see happening.

Let Pruitt go.

Wouldn'd mind Marbury back but only at the veteran minimum.

Hopefully House doesn't opt out but if he does, let him walk.  Hoping he exercises his option, though.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #46 on: May 18, 2009, 05:54:34 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
found this on the globe

Marbury said He said he'd be willing to back up Rajon Rondo, but wants more minutes.

yea...so im not happy with steph as the 6th man type guard...I think 15-20 minutes is all i want out of him.

so, if he wants more of ray, eddie, and rondo's minutes i think you let him walk.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #47 on: May 18, 2009, 06:03:33 PM »

Offline jimmyt

• Author
  • Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 2500
marbury never impressed me this year, aside from the fourth quarter in game 5 against Magic. Id rather keep Pruitt for cheaper, and House should pick up his option here I dont see why he wouldnt. Moore is obviously gone. I think BBD is gone as well because he will get more $ elsewhere. Powe will most likely be back for relatively cheap money if the Celts send him an offer.

« Reply #48 on: May 18, 2009, 06:06:19 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
I'd like to keep:

Marbury - at his current money (maybe $2mill for a year, if he's willing)

Davis - $10/3 or 12/3 should get it done.

Powe - since this coming year is mostly lost, I'd try to keep him at a low deal: $1mill/1year

House - I doubt he opts out. He's not worth more than 2.8 per. If he does opt out, as much as I love his scrappy game, I'd only keep him for maybe 1.5 per year.

Pruitt - If Marbury is gone, I definitely keep Pruitt.

The problem with this is that after those moves, you already have $80 millions in salaries. If the LT threshold drops to $68 millions, that would mean the team would be paying about $92 millions in salaries, just with 13 players under contract. Even with that gigantic payroll, you'd still have deeply flawed bench: you'd still need another big, able to rebound; you'd need a backup wing and you'd need one of them to be good enough to be a bona-fide 6th man. Those guys need to be paid, increasing the pay-roll even more.

I have a tough time seeing that happening.

80 would bring us back to where we are right now. I really hope ownership is willing to swallow another 3-5 on 1 or 2 more pieces.

Perhaps we cant budge off the minimum for Marbury and Powe then.

The lowered luxury tax number is a big factor... and sobering. Its going to be an interesting free agent summer. Lots of purse strings are going to tighten.

If the owners don't pony up, this team is going to continue to fade, and so will the fans dollars.

« Reply #49 on: May 18, 2009, 06:17:10 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
found this on the globe

Marbury said He said he'd be willing to back up Rajon Rondo, but wants more minutes.

yea...so im not happy with steph as the 6th man type guard...I think 15-20 minutes is all i want out of him.

so, if he wants more of ray, eddie, and rondo's minutes i think you let him walk.

Yeah. If he consistently wants more than 15 MPG, he needs to go. Actually he could go as high as 20, but then eddie has to go. ....so far Eddie fits better.

« Reply #50 on: May 18, 2009, 06:30:35 PM »

Offline MBz

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 30
I wouldn't mind him playing 15-18 minutes next year.  A lot of 6th men don't play much more then that.  You give him some of Ray's minutes, you give him some of Rondo's, you let Ray play the 3 a little more against certain teams when Pierce is out, the minutes are there.  I'd like to resign him, I think he will be much better next year by going through camp with this team and getting to start from the beginning.  I wouldn't even mind him playing a little summer league just to get him to learn some of the sets a little better.  He was in a tough situation, he went a long time without playing any NBA level basketball and was tossed onto one of the best teams in the league.
do it

« Reply #51 on: May 18, 2009, 06:53:12 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
I wouldn't mind him playing 15-18 minutes next year.  A lot of 6th men don't play much more then that.  You give him some of Ray's minutes, you give him some of Rondo's, you let Ray play the 3 a little more against certain teams when Pierce is out, the minutes are there.  I'd like to resign him, I think he will be much better next year by going through camp with this team and getting to start from the beginning.  I wouldn't even mind him playing a little summer league just to get him to learn some of the sets a little better.  He was in a tough situation, he went a long time without playing any NBA level basketball and was tossed onto one of the best teams in the league.

Start Marbury at the 2 as a way of reducing Ray's minutes during the season.  Ray will be fantastic off the bench and he'll continue to be fantastic at the end of close games.  Still a four guard rotation with Rondo, Ray, Marbury and House. 

I don't think we saw the real Steph.

« Reply #52 on: May 18, 2009, 07:17:04 PM »

Offline ToppersBsktball10

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 27
  • Smooth As Silk.
BBD,Power,Eddie Mansion, and possibly Steph if he works his ass off

« Reply #53 on: May 18, 2009, 07:21:37 PM »

Offline beantownboy171

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 70
I think if we can have marbury playing 20+ min effectively it would be great. I thought you guys wanted rest for ray, and paul.

I really, really, really think marburry is worth another year. Another year working into the system would be great.

Sign marbury, powe (hopefully something reasonable 1mil range), pruitt, moore (still a good 12th man, i know he's not great, but he's enough.) and try as hard as you can to work out a sign and trade with BBD but in all likely hood let him walk.

Sign grant hill (vet min.) and rasheed wallace (MLE) would both be great. But we'll have to wait and see.

Cut TA.

Rondo/Marbury/Pruitt
Allen/House/Giddens
Pierce/Hill/Walker
Garnett/Powe/Scalabrine
Perkins/Wallace/Moore

« Reply #54 on: May 18, 2009, 07:31:43 PM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251

Start Marbury at the 2 as a way of reducing Ray's minutes during the season.  Ray will be fantastic off the bench and he'll continue to be fantastic at the end of close games.  Still a four guard rotation with Rondo, Ray, Marbury and House. 

I don't think we saw the real Steph.

Shouldn't he have to earn his minutes just like everybody else?

I saw enough of Marbury to know that he is out of his mind if he thinks he deserves an expanded role on this team. 

Why is he still getting a free pass around here?  He was a FAILURE and isn't going to get any better with age.  He's worth the Vet min and end of the bench mpg, at most on this team.  If he doesn't like it, he can go get his starters minutes... in Europe...

« Reply #55 on: May 18, 2009, 07:37:52 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
So, let's talk some more about Mikki Moore.  I think we all agree that he doesn't deserve more than the minimum salary and he shouldn't be brought back if the Celtics can do better.

But let's look at this scenario.  The Celtics sign another reserve big man and are able to re-sign Glen Davis to an affordable contract.  Do the Celtics need another big man to be the 12th man or lower on the roster behind that?  Is Moore suitable for that role?  Would you prefer another Patrick O'Bryant type project instead?  

If the Celtics can't afford to pay too much, what big men are projected to be available for the minimum salary who are clearly better than Moore?  Moore's not good, but I'm not convinced you can do much better for the same money.  At least Moore would be a known quantity with a head start on learning the system.

As for Marbury, he played 18 mpg for the Celtics in the regular season, although that included 4 starts in 23 games.  Tony Allen had 19mpg.  Does anyone care if re-signing Marbury means he is effectively taking over Allen's minutes?  TA's usage pattern was something like 10-15 mpg in close games, 20-25 in not-so-close games. 15-18 minutes per game is something that Marbury should be able to earn.  Give him a one-year deal for cheap.  Tell him he has a chance to earn a big contract in 2010 if he can demonstrate to the league that he can play within a team concept.  Ideally, you get a useful year out of Starbury and build him up so that he can ruin a potential competitor the year after.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #56 on: May 18, 2009, 07:49:48 PM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
So, let's talk some more about Mikki Moore.  I think we all agree that he doesn't deserve more than the minimum salary and he shouldn't be brought back if the Celtics can do better.

But let's look at this scenario.  The Celtics sign another reserve big man and are able to re-sign Glen Davis to an affordable contract.  Do the Celtics need another big man to be the 12th man or lower on the roster behind that?  Is Moore suitable for that role?  Would you prefer another Patrick O'Bryant type project instead?  

If the Celtics can't afford to pay too much, what big men are projected to be available for the minimum salary who are clearly better than Moore?  Moore's not good, but I'm not convinced you can do much better for the same money.  At least Moore would be a known quantity with a head start on learning the system.

As for Marbury, he played 18 mpg for the Celtics in the regular season, although that included 4 starts in 23 games.  Tony Allen had 19mpg.  Does anyone care if re-signing Marbury means he is effectively taking over Allen's minutes?  TA's usage pattern was something like 10-15 mpg in close games, 20-25 in not-so-close games. 15-18 minutes per game is something that Marbury should be able to earn.  Give him a one-year deal for cheap.  Tell him he has a chance to earn a big contract in 2010 if he can demonstrate to the league that he can play within a team concept.  Ideally, you get a useful year out of Starbury and build him up so that he can ruin a potential competitor the year after.

You make good points about Moore, although his signing should be an afterthought to fill out the 15 man roster.

As for Marbury, I just don't get it.  People keep talking about how PP and Ray and KG are declining b/c of their age, and then I click to another thread, and read all these posts about how much better Steph is going to get over the next season or two.  This line of reasoning doesn't jive, SM is also 33 years old, and we just saw him fall flat on his face. 

Not only was he not close to his former self, but he was barely passable as an NBA player.  The proof is in the pudding and looking at his play objectively, it's hard to justify expanding his role.

« Reply #57 on: May 18, 2009, 07:55:53 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice

I think Brian Scalabrine fills that role. However, if you want a 5th big besides Scal, I can think of at least a dozen players that would sign for a min. salary and that I'd rather have than Moore. Just off the top of my head: Brian Skinner, Pops Mensah-Bonsu, Josh Davis, Josh Powell, Stephane Lasme, Jamaal Magloire, Stromile Swift, Robert Swift, Maceo Baston, D'Or Fisher. With a little time, I can think of other guys.

« Reply #58 on: May 18, 2009, 07:57:44 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale

I think Brian Scalabrine fills that role. However, if you want a 5th big besides Scal, I can think of at least a dozen players that would sign for a min. salary and that I'd rather have than Moore. Just off the top of my head: Brian Skinner, Pops Mensah-Bonsu, Josh Davis, Josh Powell, Stephane Lasme, Jamaal Magloire, Stromile Swift, Robert Swift, Maceo Baston, D'Or Fisher. With a little time, I can think of other guys.

Agreed.  Mikki is a terrible defender and a poor rebounder.  Just about any of the players named can fill the 5th / 6th big role as well as Moore can.  Obviously, nobody will be shocked if Danny goes after Robert Swift.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #59 on: May 18, 2009, 07:59:02 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336

Agreed.  Mikki is a terrible defender and a poor rebounder.  Just about any of the players named can fill the 5th / 6th big role as well as Moore can.  Obviously, nobody will be shocked if Danny goes after Robert Swift.

Given Danny's bizarre fascination with 7-foot stiffs, I have no doubt that he'll try to add Robert Swift to his growing list of failures at the 5.

And he'll get him. He's on the fast track out of OKC. I'm keeping all my O'Blount material handy.

The sensible name in that group is Magloire. He's still got a little gas in the tank.

But Danny will go after Swift. He'll come in and fall flat on his face, like Paddy and Mikki.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."