Author Topic: Celtics free agents: who do we keep?  (Read 12827 times)

Re: Celtics free agents: who do we keep?
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2009, 12:39:46 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
I think Pruitt is fine for a third string point guard. He plays very good defense and he can hit open shots.

As I look around the NBA, there's very few third string point guards that I'd rather have than Gabe Pruitt.
i'll agree with you here, tho he still looks like buggs bunny. but i don't agree with the 'pay a team under the cap to take eddie' idea. IF  he picks up his option, we could easily trade him, because he's a total bargain on a one year deal. if this happens, you'd rather have scal and tony over him?

I want to do the same with the Tony Allen. I'd like to keep Scalabrine as the fifth/sixth big in the rotation.

I have no interest in watching House play off the ball. The negative effect on the team's defense + rebounding is greater than his improved offense. I'd much rather see a legit wing backing up at the two spot. Now if Eddie is coming back to play the point guard, I'd love to keep him because he's good at that position.

If there's a trade available that brings a good bench player in return, I'd happily do that. But if there isn't ... the Celtics can get out from underneath that contract and gain some financial wiggle room, they can effectively dump his contract despite it being his player option. They're not in a corner, they have options.

« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2009, 12:47:37 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
I say bring back almost anyone who is affordable and doesn't take up any of our MLE or LLE money.

Retain the rights to Powe. If Baby takes a hometown discount, lock him up for another couple years. House just set the club record for most threes in a season; he's quite reasonable at less than $3 mil a year. If Marbury accepts a vet minimum deal, go for it. Pruitt as a third stringer for less than $800K a year is fine; he can be cut or dealt for a draft pick if we think we can do better.

Resigning these players for cheap deals that don't take up any of our MLE will allow us to go after players that can really help our rotation. McDyess. Udoka. Anthony Parker. It also allows us to package some other young players or expiring deals to fill in the cracks (Scal and Tony for a backup point guard like Earl Watson, perhaps).
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2009, 12:49:36 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
I think Pruitt is fine for a third string point guard. He plays very good defense and he can hit open shots.

As I look around the NBA, there's very few third string point guards that I'd rather have than Gabe Pruitt.
i'll agree with you here, tho he still looks like buggs bunny. but i don't agree with the 'pay a team under the cap to take eddie' idea. IF  he picks up his option, we could easily trade him, because he's a total bargain on a one year deal. if this happens, you'd rather have scal and tony over him?

I want to do the same with the Tony Allen. I'd like to keep Scalabrine as the fifth/sixth big in the rotation.

I have no interest in watching House play off the ball. The negative effect on the team's defense + rebounding is greater than his improved offense. I'd much rather see a legit wing backing up at the two spot. Now if Eddie is coming back to play the point guard, I'd love to keep him because he's good at that position.

If there's a trade available that brings a good bench player in return, I'd happily do that. But if there isn't ... the Celtics can get out from underneath that contract and gain some financial wiggle room, they can effectively dump his contract despite it being his player option. They're not in a corner, they have options.

I fully agree. I think that became quite obvious this season. House must be the backup PG, find a solid wing backup to complement the rotation, not another guard. I think the team wouldn't need to pay a lot of money to get rid of House if they want to, he's not grossly overpaid. Plus, House outside shooting is very valuable for this team.

Pruitt on the other hand, I think he's easily replaceable with a better player without adding salary or with a young guy with more upside, someone who can be a valuable trade asset or even a starter down the road.

« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2009, 12:54:10 PM »

Offline vinnie

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 429
I continue to be befuddled by those who say House should stay with the team only if he is the backup point guard. Hasn't this team twice in the past two years gone out and gotten a "real" backup point guard in the second half of the year because there was a need there? How can this team depend on Eddie House, whose ball-handling skills are questionable at best, to be our backup point guard.

« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2009, 12:54:33 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352

Not sure if I agree with you here, Who. IMO, House has to play off the ball on offense to be an effective shooter. On defense, you're right; House has to match up against the opponent's PG, otherwise, he's sorely overmatched.

I thought the Marbury-House backcourt showed real chemistry at points during the season. If Eddie can be paired with a similarly bigger player who can run the offense (perhaps even a point forward type), he's valuable to the team.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2009, 01:02:31 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
At some point the Celtics are going to have to bite the bullet and develop at least one young guard, and live with the short-term consequences/mistakes in order for long-term benefit.

But first I have to ask a question:  Is Paul Pierce now too old to defend two-guards?

« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2009, 01:09:50 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
javascript:void(0);
I continue to be befuddled by those who say House should stay with the team only if he is the backup point guard. Hasn't this team twice in the past two years gone out and gotten a "real" backup point guard in the second half of the year because there was a need there?

Yeps, two bad decisions.

How can this team depend on Eddie House, whose ball-handling skills are questionable at best, to be our backup point guard.

He can handle the ball just fine. Not every PG needs to be a great ball-handler and shot-creator. We are one of the teams that can perfectly live with a PG with House's skillset. More importantly though: it's so difficult to have House playing the 2, that he has to play the 1 by default.

« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2009, 01:16:01 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
I continue to be befuddled by those who say House should stay with the team only if he is the backup point guard. Hasn't this team twice in the past two years gone out and gotten a "real" backup point guard in the second half of the year because there was a need there?

Yeps, two bad decisions.

How can this team depend on Eddie House, whose ball-handling skills are questionable at best, to be our backup point guard.

He can handle the ball just fine. Not every PG needs to be a great ball-handler and shot-creator. We are one of the teams that can perfectly live with a PG with House's skillset. More importantly though: it's so difficult to have House playing the 2, that he has to play the 1 by default.
Agreed on both counts Cordobes

« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2009, 01:18:15 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
javascript:void(0);

Yeps, two bad decisions.

Whether it's from the point guard position or not, though, I'm assuming that you agree we need another ball-handler and penetrator for the second unit?  In my opinion, we desperately need somebody to create offense when both Rondo and Pierce are off the floor.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2009, 01:21:21 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
Whether it's from the point guard position or not, though, I'm assuming that you agree we need another ball-handler and penetrator for the second unit?  In my opinion, we desperately need somebody to create offense when both Rondo and Pierce are off the floor.
I do not agree. It would be nice if the C's could get one, but it's not a necessity.

One of the Big Three can play in the second unit in the regular season, and two of the Big Three can play with the second unit in the playoffs. That's more than enough shot creators.

« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2009, 01:24:47 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
I do not agree. It would be nice if the C's could get one, but it's not a necessity.

One of the Big Three can play in the second unit in the regular season, and two of the Big Three can play with the second unit in the playoffs. That's more than enough shot creators.

Not sure i agree there. Ray CAN create his own shot through penetrating off a screen, but not well.

KG rarley attacks, he looks to pass to a cutter (which we won't have on the second unit) or looks for a midrange jumper off the pick and pop.

I'm all for having a bench player who can attack the paint, supposedly TA is this guy right now, but he's awful at controlling the dribble in traffic.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2009, 01:25:26 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale

Having watched our bench struggle to generate offense for the past two seasons, I disagree.  We need more play makers for that second unit. 

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2009, 01:27:33 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith

Not sure i agree there. Ray CAN create his own shot through penetrating off a screen, but not well.

KG rarley attacks, he looks to pass to a cutter (which we won't have on the second unit) or looks for a midrange jumper off the pick and pop.

I'm all for having a bench player who can attack the paint, supposedly TA is this guy right now, but he's awful at controlling the dribble in traffic.
I want Paul Pierce to play with the second unit. Then KG as the second big three member once the playoffs begin.

I don't like Ray with the second unit either. He doesn't command the ball, or shot attempts, often enough when he's alongside bench players.

« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2009, 01:30:48 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157

I want Paul Pierce to play with the second unit. Then KG as the second big three member once the playoffs begin.

I don't like Ray with the second unit either. He doesn't command the ball, or shot attempts, often enough when he's alongside bench players.

that only works with a backup 3 though, for when paul sits, so why not get a backup who can slash? (assuming we don't find out we already have this guy in bill walker.)
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2009, 01:33:43 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith

that only works with a backup 3 though, for when paul sits, so why not get a backup who can slash? (assuming we don't find out we already have this guy in bill walker.)
The player I'd like to see signed is Grant Hill. He can bring some of that creativity to the table.

But if Hill isn't acquirable, I'm fine with a non-creator at that spot. I thought James Posey did just fine in that role -- and the bench has even more leeway now because of Rondo's development.

It doesn't alter whether I want House at the point or not.