Author Topic: Gotta be said -- Ray Allen is KILLING this team  (Read 9837 times)

Re: Gotta be said -- Ray Allen is KILLING this team
« Reply #45 on: May 15, 2009, 04:52:02 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 658
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Gotta be said -- Ray Allen is KILLING this team

He sure as hell has saved this team enough times….

Oh wait, that was three whole days ago! Let’s just forget it ever happened.

ain't that to the truth

« Reply #46 on: May 15, 2009, 05:14:03 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
I am at a total loss to understand how you can blame one man for a loss in a TEAM sport.  When one man is struggling, others are supposed to pick up the slack.  You also have to consider that the opponents might have something to do with the outcome.  Sometimes the other team just has more to lose, and plays like it.
The opponent never deserves credit! If they win it must be luck, our players underperforming, a bad coach, or incompetent refs, or Stern's sinister plan.

::)

« Reply #47 on: May 15, 2009, 05:29:58 PM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 2584
We don't lose because of bad refs, conspiracies, etc.,  we win in spite of them  ;D
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...
   That is why it is called the present.
Visit the CelticsBlog Live Game Chat!

« Reply #48 on: May 15, 2009, 05:41:00 PM »

Offline Jaycelt

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 7
Ray, PP, and BBD were ALL killing us. Just because PP hit those three shots doesn't erase a night of horrid play, getting lit up by Pietrus once again. He clanks two free throws as he often does when it is crunch time. He gets just as much if not more blame because Ray played great defense all night at least and wasn't given almost any room to shoot. PP is creating his own and missing them.

Poor performance though by 3 of our 5 starters. What did we expect?!

Help me understand something.  Here's two box scores

Player #1- 8-19fg  1-3ft 16reb  6as  5to  19pts

Player #2- 6-14fg  5-8ft 9reb  5as  3to  17pts

Ok.  Now lets just say player #1 was left wide open all night long while player #2 was double teamed every time he touched the ball.
Yet somehow, player #1 played great and Player #2 just killed us?

I really have a hard time understanding exactly what some of you are thinking when it comes to player evaluation.

BTW EJ, Pierce guarded Turkgulo when he was on the floor (38 min) and Turkgulo shot 3 for 13.
Yes there were a few possessions Pierce had Pietrus, but not the majority.  Ray guarded him just as much if not more since Reddick was mostly benched.  When we had a small line up even Eddie had him at times.
Still, even if you were going to blame Pierce for all of Pietrus's offense, 4 of 8 isn't exactly lighting anybody up.

« Reply #49 on: May 15, 2009, 08:35:11 PM »

Offline vinnie

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 429

ain't that to the truth

I really like Ray Allen, but it is not my imagination that he is shooting 14 (5-36) percent from behind the arc in this series. When you make $18 million a year, or whatever he makes, then he is wide open for criticism when he is not playing well, as well as praise when he is. It is pretty simple to me.

« Reply #50 on: May 15, 2009, 08:44:23 PM »

Offline Onslaught

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
We wouldn't even be watching the Celtics play right now if it wasn't for Allen. Orlando would be playing the Cavs right now after knocking off the Bulls in 5-6.
Peace through Tyranny

« Reply #51 on: May 15, 2009, 09:07:31 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
We wouldn't even be watching the Celtics play right now if it wasn't for Allen. Orlando would be playing the Cavs right now after knocking off the Bulls in 5-6.

True. Plus everyone's exhausted and KG not playing changes the entire dynamic of things.  Whenever this season is over, the best thing the team can do is keep everything intact.  If they can bring Baby back, and find a serviceable backup at the 2/3 and the 5, this team could win 75 games next year.  When healthy, we arguably have a top 5 player at every position (and certainly at all but the 5). 

« Reply #52 on: May 15, 2009, 09:12:45 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450

ain't that to the truth

I really like Ray Allen, but it is not my imagination that he is shooting 14 (5-36) percent from behind the arc in this series. When you make $18 million a year, or whatever he makes, then he is wide open for criticism when he is not playing well, as well as praise when he is. It is pretty simple to me.

You're 100% correct. The guy is making big money and as a fan, I expect him to earn his paycheck every night. If your not shooting well, then drive the ball and get fouled, get some steals, or rack up the assists. There are more ways to contribute than just hitting some threes.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2009, 10:14:32 PM by Chief »
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #53 on: May 15, 2009, 10:00:42 PM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 5350
  • Thumper of the BASS!
yeah fellas he aint been doin his job

he is given the title of the best shooter ever!
i've seen from the start of his jump to the release of the ball rewound and played again to show how perfect his shot is..he has been off

im not a stats guy cause stats in sum players cases wont tell u how he is gonna perform.example scalabrine..lol..what is rays points per game during the plays offs?...8 to 10 pts?...we know he is better than what he is showin..
and he knows it too.

what can doc or anybody tell a vet like ray to do.

he needs to stop forcing jumpers...paul finally started takin it to the rim when all else failed..still his free throw shooting hurts us alot...last game he did bust a few 3's.

i like ray and the only way he hurts us is if he stops shooting cause HE WILL get that old roll back.....

paul got that butta and ray got that roll~

tell me who dont like buttered rolls?

« Reply #54 on: May 15, 2009, 10:03:34 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126

and this is why i love bassthumper......classic line!

« Reply #55 on: May 16, 2009, 01:47:52 AM »

Offline Jaycelt

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 7

...paul finally started takin it to the rim when all else failed..still his free throw shooting hurts us alot...last game he did bust a few 3's.

i like ray and the only way he hurts us is if he stops shooting cause HE WILL get that old roll back.....

Uhhh, PP is shooting 87% from the line in this series. 86% for the playoffs.  Both those numbers are above anything he's ever shot in the regular season.  How do you figure his free throws are killing us yet a guy who's shooting 31% from the field and 14% from behind the arc, both way, way down from his regular season numbers isn't hurting us?
Seriously, that makes no sense at all.  Especially since he's taken a total of 2 shots less than Pierce and 20 more 3's while Pierce is shooting 45% and 38% from 3?
Maybe Ray should try taking it to the rim. It's not like he's not capable.
He's obviously struggling but I don't see him doing anything differently to try to change it.  He's been to the line only 56 times in the postseason, less than any other starter besides Perkins, yet he's the guy that takes our technical foul shots.  And in this series it's been even worse.  18 times in 8 games. 
He's gotta stop settling and get knocked down a few times.

« Reply #56 on: May 16, 2009, 12:37:22 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
Another thing to keep in mind about Ray is that he's not being given the amount of shots he's used to being given in his career.  He only took 11 shots last game.  That never would have happened to him when he was in Seattle or Milwaukee and consequently, he probably never would have been in this slump in either of those places.  When he's being given so few shots, it's hard for him to shoot himself out of his slump.  While in some ways I don't blame Doc for not going to him more, in other ways I do.  I feel if Doc goes to him more, he will get going and will make Orlando pay. 

« Reply #57 on: May 16, 2009, 01:11:01 PM »

Offline vagrantwade

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42
They have been playing tight defense on him and Eddie House since he had his game. It is as simple as that.

« Reply #58 on: May 16, 2009, 03:19:14 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
Another thing to keep in mind about Ray is that he's not being given the amount of shots he's used to being given in his career.  He only took 11 shots last game.  That never would have happened to him when he was in Seattle or Milwaukee and consequently, he probably never would have been in this slump in either of those places.  When he's being given so few shots, it's hard for him to shoot himself out of his slump.  While in some ways I don't blame Doc for not going to him more, in other ways I do.  I feel if Doc goes to him more, he will get going and will make Orlando pay. 

I don't totally buy that.   Ray Allen had arguably his most efficient year of his career and he has been taking less shots than he day in his Seattle and Milwaukee days.

Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if he is hurt.  Anyone notice the bandage he had on his leg for parts of the last 2 games?  Any injury to your legs can affect your outside shot. His legs could be somewhat spent after logging so many minutes in the Chicago series.  Hopefully with an extra off day inbetween games he can get his legs underneath him and have a strong game. 

This getting on Ray saying he should earn his paycheck while his play is down is kind of annoying.   He has earned his paycheck this year with some great play.   

« Reply #59 on: May 16, 2009, 05:16:04 PM »

Offline makaveli

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 320
  • The Truth
Up and down with Ray all over again. The guy guarding him is doin' a great great job, and I think Doc is the person that has to chnage the way we run offense, I know allmost every play we run, where the ball is going etc. let alone the Magic coaching staff.
what doesn't kill you makes you stronger