Author Topic: POB...Catching Doc's eye?  (Read 14472 times)

Re: POB...Catching Doc's eye?
« Reply #30 on: October 02, 2008, 12:18:06 AM »

Offline moskqq

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 13
The OPTIMISM seems premature regarding POB.  Of GREAT concern is Doc's comment ...if he ever figures out how to play alongside KG... That comment is LOADED with significance.  Recall John Hollinger's analysis of what made the Celtics great last year...it was a suffocating DEFENSE where KG was the center-piece and the other four players acted as key components complementing one another.

Doc's comment seems to say that POB hasn't yet learned how to blend in with KG...switching off to perhaps recreate an interior suffocating defense?  Or, to space the interior, be in scoring position...rebounding position, create passing angles/opportunities for KG.  Whatever Doc's comment meant it certainly indicated that POB hasn't yet figured out how to maximize his usefulness by playing to his strengths in order  to complement his teammates.

What the favorable comments do suggest is that POB has the size, athleticism, determination and the physical attributes which could help solidify our interior.

« Reply #31 on: October 02, 2008, 01:02:14 AM »

Offline TheGreenThumb

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 25
Doc's comment seems to say that POB hasn't yet learned how to blend in with KG...switching off to perhaps recreate an interior suffocating defense?  Or, to space the interior, be in scoring position...rebounding position, create passing angles/opportunities for KG.

Oh my God!  After 2 days of training camp ... POB still has NOT learned how to play with KG?!?!?!?  What a failure!!!    ;D

« Reply #32 on: October 02, 2008, 04:01:40 AM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
Cordobes you have to check out the video interviews on Celtics.com, Doc PP and KG were all saying he had a great day today.

In time, they will say it about every other newcomer. It's what teams do.

Here's the latest.

See Doc and Paul call Tony the MVP of today's practice on the CelticVision HD videos.
http://www.celticsblog.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=4008&Itemid=254#jc_writeComment

Karl said forward Renaldo Balkman was the "player of the day," commending Balkman's defense and glimpses of long- range shooting prowess. Denver acquired Balkman this summer in a trade.
http://www.denverpost.com/nuggets/ci_10603138

Balkman, not only with a jump-shot but with range on it!

What about the notorious under-achiever and 1st draft pick Andrea Bargnani?

So, we get into the final 20 minutes or so of the night practice last night (remember, we can’t see the whole thing because we might write that Jermaine O’Neal gets the ball often) and there’s Andrea Bargnani working with Jay Triano and massage therapist Ray Chow at one of the side baskets.

And, I swear to whatever deity you want, he looked good.

Drop steps. Spin moves. Left-handed jump hooks. Fadeaways.

Seriously.

http://thestar.blogs.com/raptors/2008/10/big-nate-bargs.html

There's more about the mighty Bustagni:

"Man, it was good," O'Neal said. "I had heard a lot about him. But he came in and he worked hard. He beat me to the gym every single day and he left when I left and that's a lot. We put in some five-hour days in the gym.

"When you watch a person work out you learn a lot about him," O'Neal said. "Some guys are naturally gifted and don't like to work real hard. They just breeze through.

"This guy was working hard and he really wanted it. I don't know what has gone on with him before here, but he really accepted the challenge. We played together for the first week and the next week we played against each other. He didn't shy away and I was trying to beat him to death."

But what amazed O'Neal the most was the quickness Bargnani possesses and while it might not go over well with his new bosses, O'Neal came right out and said playing Bargnani at small forward would be a mistake.

"Now, I have heard about them playing him at the three, and this is just me, the team is going to do what they're going to do, but I believe there is no (power forward or centre) in the league who can guard him. You put a three on him and he'll keep up with him, but fours and fives will be dead in the water."

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Basketball/NBA/Toronto/2008/09/30/6929316-sun.html

I suppose Bosh is going to be coming off the bench next season!

« Reply #33 on: October 02, 2008, 06:30:56 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Cordobes you have to check out the video interviews on Celtics.com, Doc PP and KG were all saying he had a great day today.

In time, they will say it about every other newcomer. It's what teams do.

Here's the latest.

See Doc and Paul call Tony the MVP of today's practice on the CelticVision HD videos.
http://www.celticsblog.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=4008&Itemid=254#jc_writeComment

Karl said forward Renaldo Balkman was the "player of the day," commending Balkman's defense and glimpses of long- range shooting prowess. Denver acquired Balkman this summer in a trade.
http://www.denverpost.com/nuggets/ci_10603138

Balkman, not only with a jump-shot but with range on it!

What about the notorious under-achiever and 1st draft pick Andrea Bargnani?

So, we get into the final 20 minutes or so of the night practice last night (remember, we can’t see the whole thing because we might write that Jermaine O’Neal gets the ball often) and there’s Andrea Bargnani working with Jay Triano and massage therapist Ray Chow at one of the side baskets.

And, I swear to whatever deity you want, he looked good.

Drop steps. Spin moves. Left-handed jump hooks. Fadeaways.

Seriously.

http://thestar.blogs.com/raptors/2008/10/big-nate-bargs.html

There's more about the mighty Bustagni:

"Man, it was good," O'Neal said. "I had heard a lot about him. But he came in and he worked hard. He beat me to the gym every single day and he left when I left and that's a lot. We put in some five-hour days in the gym.

"When you watch a person work out you learn a lot about him," O'Neal said. "Some guys are naturally gifted and don't like to work real hard. They just breeze through.

"This guy was working hard and he really wanted it. I don't know what has gone on with him before here, but he really accepted the challenge. We played together for the first week and the next week we played against each other. He didn't shy away and I was trying to beat him to death."

But what amazed O'Neal the most was the quickness Bargnani possesses and while it might not go over well with his new bosses, O'Neal came right out and said playing Bargnani at small forward would be a mistake.

"Now, I have heard about them playing him at the three, and this is just me, the team is going to do what they're going to do, but I believe there is no (power forward or centre) in the league who can guard him. You put a three on him and he'll keep up with him, but fours and fives will be dead in the water."

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Basketball/NBA/Toronto/2008/09/30/6929316-sun.html

I suppose Bosh is going to be coming off the bench next season!
Simply awesome way of proving exactly what you were saying and what I agree wholeheartedly with. TP4U.

« Reply #34 on: October 02, 2008, 08:02:02 AM »

Offline Champzilla

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 102
I'm actually from Boston so I support my team.
Boston is the Greatest City in the World !!!

« Reply #35 on: October 02, 2008, 09:33:38 AM »

Offline DinoRadjaLives

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 24
The OPTIMISM seems premature regarding POB.  Of GREAT concern is Doc's comment ...if he ever figures out how to play alongside KG... That comment is LOADED with significance.  Recall John Hollinger's analysis of what made the Celtics great last year...it was a suffocating DEFENSE where KG was the center-piece and the other four players acted as key components complementing one another.

Doc's comment seems to say that POB hasn't yet learned how to blend in with KG...switching off to perhaps recreate an interior suffocating defense?  Or, to space the interior, be in scoring position...rebounding position, create passing angles/opportunities for KG.  Whatever Doc's comment meant it certainly indicated that POB hasn't yet figured out how to maximize his usefulness by playing to his strengths in order  to complement his teammates.

What the favorable comments do suggest is that POB has the size, athleticism, determination and the physical attributes which could help solidify our interior.

I agree with you that for POB to be a factor playing well with KG is of utter importance. Yet lets give the kid some time....its his first week of camp on a new team where he ACTUALLY has a role. I sure that Nellie never gave him the coaching the CRay will give him and the upbeat nature of DOC will help as well. I agree lets not get our hope up about a single blurb about POB. Yet lets give him the chance he deserves. As I recall last year some folks said Eddie House never played defense and he was a liability. He sure changed his game and became a decent defender and had all out hustle.
"The Boston Celtics are not a basketball team, they are a way of life" - Red Auerbach

« Reply #36 on: October 02, 2008, 09:41:54 AM »

Offline moskqq

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 13
The optimism seems premature regarding POB.  Despite the sarcasm that we should "wring our hands" because POB has not yet learned to play alongside KG after only 2 days of practice...the fact remains that we should TEMPER our optimism until POB has actually learned to play alongside KG.

We still remain a TEAM and the whole should equal the sum of its parts (or exceed it) and that takes 5 players who have LEARNED to complement one another.  Until POB crosses that bridge we should temper our optimism concerning his potential value to this team....

In the interim we can feel good that POB is thus far meeting Danny's expectations....

« Reply #37 on: October 02, 2008, 10:40:02 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
That's twice that you have said that. What exactly are you trying to relate to the rest of us who might look at all things Celtics with a bit more of a critical eye than others?

That we don't support our team simply because we don't fall onto our knees and scream like a 60's teenage girl at a Beatles concert every time the Celtics are mentioned?

That we don't support our team because we question early pre-season hype that seemingly indicates that a first round draft pick who wasn't good enough to even earn a third year extension on his original contract has magically transformed himself into a great NBA player?

That we don't support our team because in our realistic view of things, there are definite deficiencies with this team?

I've been a giant Celtic fan since 1974 and seen more ups and downs with this franchise than a bunch of the people at this site. I support this team. No, I take that back, I love this team. It is a part of me. But the same way I can look in the mirror and know that I am not some Hollywood beauty, I can look at this team and know they aren't perfect.

« Reply #38 on: October 02, 2008, 10:52:25 AM »

Offline Kwhit10

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 923
Anything being said that is positive about POB is good news.  I this guy can contribute more than sitting on the end of the bench waving a towel than it's a success.  He will definitely do better than he did in GS.  I'm not overly optimistic but I guarantee he will out perform what he did in GS.  So go Patty go.

« Reply #39 on: October 02, 2008, 11:18:05 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

So does everyone else on this forum.  That is why they are here.  Lets not get into this "real fan" stuff...

« Reply #40 on: October 02, 2008, 12:46:40 PM »

Offline Champzilla

• Jaylen Brown
I'm sorry Chris. 

« Reply #41 on: October 02, 2008, 12:49:25 PM »

Offline Champzilla

• Jaylen Brown
and nickagneta.

« Reply #42 on: October 02, 2008, 01:05:17 PM »

Offline Champzilla

• Jaylen Brown
We should all be friends and not enemies, celtic nation. So I apologize, my statement was not meant as a personal attack, and I'm sorry if some people took it that manner.  I just like being positive and enjoying the reviews from training camp.  Nickagneta, Everett has a really good football team, congrats on your many Super Bowl victories, you have destroyed me, Arlington, many times.

« Reply #43 on: October 02, 2008, 01:26:31 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
The optimism seems premature regarding POB.  Despite the sarcasm that we should "wring our hands" because POB has not yet learned to play alongside KG after only 2 days of practice...the fact remains that we should TEMPER our optimism until POB has actually learned to play alongside KG.

We still remain a TEAM and the whole should equal the sum of its parts (or exceed it) and that takes 5 players who have LEARNED to complement one another.  Until POB crosses that bridge we should temper our optimism concerning his potential value to this team....

In the interim we can feel good that POB is thus far meeting Danny's expectations....

You mean the same way people should TEMPER their pessimism that has been shown towards POB since the day he signed, right?

« Reply #44 on: October 02, 2008, 01:58:19 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157

You mean the same way people should TEMPER their pessimism that has been shown towards POB since the day he signed, right?

don't talk crazy bud, you know that the norm in boston is to be pessimistic until proven otherwise  ;)
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion