Author Topic: POB...Catching Doc's eye?  (Read 14468 times)

POB...Catching Doc's eye?
« on: October 01, 2008, 03:48:01 PM »

Offline mainevent

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 203
Wednesday, October 1 - Doc Praises O'Bryant

"We had a great practice today. The end was sloppy, I didn't like that part of it, but the first two hours, [we had] great focus. The execution was tremendous," Rivers said. "For a second day practice, it's one of the better ones I've been around."

Rivers said he was impressed with Patrick O'Bryant's effort today, and for the second straight day while Kendrick Perkins is unavailable for contact, O'Bryant got the nod with the first unit.

"Patrick had a hell of a practice. He was great today," Rivers said, noting that if he figures out how to play alongside Kevin Garnett, "things could be pretty good for him."

Way to go Patty O'! He could play a huge role this season if he ever figures this basketball thing out. Can't wait till our first pre-season game on the 8th against Philly!
"Mosquitoes refuse to bite me....purely out of respect"

Re: POB...Catching Doc's eye?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2008, 03:51:54 PM »

Offline CelticBalla32

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 303
  • Anything is possible
Good work, P.O.Box 26!

I hope he can really give us something this year. He brings a dimension that can't be matched by anybody not named Kevin on this roster - he's 7', he's long, and he's an excellent shot blocker. He's going to get chances this year; I hope he makes the most of them and redeems his career.
Check out my blog, Chapsketblog - http://chapsketblog.wordpress.com/

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2008, 04:08:13 PM »

Offline ma11l

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 233
  • Let's Go Celtics
Hopefully he'll follow the trend of last year's team.  All the question marks answered the call and then some.  He's going to have a great opportunity at the beginning of camp to impress.  Here's hoping he becomes a solid backup center.  He has the necessary tools, now just needs the fundamentals and hard work.

"Take this down," said O'Neal. "My name is Shaquille O'Neal and Paul Pierce is the (expletive) truth. Quote me on that and don't take nothing out. I knew he could play, but I didn't know he could play like this. Paul Pierce is the truth."

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2008, 04:49:06 PM »

Offline Champzilla

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 102
Someone should post this on the Golden State realgm forum.
Boston is the Greatest City in the World !!!

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2008, 04:59:51 PM »

Offline cargomaniac

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 83
  • It is time for 18
It would be nice to see him surprise us all!!!

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2008, 05:04:31 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
I wouldn't put much stock on this kind of statements. They're pretty much par for the course. During the pre-season everybody looks great, in the best shape of their lives, have outstanding practices, shows signs of promise and seems ready to be a major contributor (except Eddy Curry). All NBA coaches are saying these things about their scrubs. I've just read a very similar thing about Austin Croshere, who's in Pacers' training camp fighting for a roster slot. You practice and after the practices you spin. It's way too soon to talk smack to the Warriors' fans; let's hope we'll be able to do that coming December or March.

Training camps and pre-season practices are funny for coaches. It's almost schizophrenic. One day the guys look great and you think "Wow, we have a hell of a team. It's going to be hard to beat us!". The next day, they look like crap, nobody seems to remember how to switch or rotate, and you go "[dang], we need new players or else we're not winning a game this season. These guys wouldn't even beat the girls' team" (or, if you're training a girls team like myself, "they wouldn't even beat the Knicks"). 

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2008, 05:09:47 PM »

Offline Champzilla

• Jaylen Brown
Cordobes you have to check out the video interviews on Celtics.com, Doc PP and KG were all saying he had a great day today.

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2008, 05:23:07 PM »

Offline youcanthandlethetruth113

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 153
I wouldn't put much stock on this kind of statements. They're pretty much par for the course. During the pre-season everybody looks great, in the best shape of their lives, have outstanding practices, shows signs of promise and seems ready to be a major contributor (except Eddy Curry). All NBA coaches are saying these things about their scrubs. I've just read a very similar thing about Austin Croshere, who's in Pacers' training camp fighting for a roster slot. You practice and after the practices you spin. It's way too soon to talk smack to the Warriors' fans; let's hope we'll be able to do that coming December or March.

Training camps and pre-season practices are funny for coaches. It's almost schizophrenic. One day the guys look great and you think "Wow, we have a hell of a team. It's going to be hard to beat us!". The next day, they look like crap, nobody seems to remember how to switch or rotate, and you go "[dang], we need new players or else we're not winning a game this season. These guys wouldn't even beat the girls' team" (or, if you're training a girls team like myself, "they wouldn't even beat the Knicks"). 

Cordobes,

Are you seriously hating on the optimism of this blogging community?

Nobody expects anything BIG out of Patty O this season. Nobody.
"Perk is not an alley-oop guy" - Tommy Heinson - Feb 27th 2008 vs. Cleveland

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2008, 05:33:37 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
Cordobes you have to check out the video interviews on Celtics.com, Doc PP and KG were all saying he had a great day today.

In time, they will say it about every other newcomer. It's what teams do.

Cordobes,

Are you seriously hating on the optimism of this blogging community?

Nobody expects anything BIG out of Patty O this season. Nobody.

Uh? I'm just sharing some thoughts about what happens in a pre-season and  a training camp. I don't mind the rookie and pre-season kool-aid. Not a drinker myself, but I don't mind at all. It's part of the whole thing.

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2008, 05:42:10 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

Completely agree with this.  We can't read into these reports out out of training camp so much.  It is a time for eternal optimism and fluff pieces.  No one gets negative press this time of year.

I still have high hopes for O'Bryant being able to be a contributor on this team, but this report does nothing to help them.  All it does is allow them to remain high for one more day without being squashed.

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2008, 05:46:13 PM »

Offline im right

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 4
Remember when Doc and Paul were saying they couldnt believe how good a shooter Jiri Welsh was and could get him shot over most centers? Now if he could learn to play with KG..... ::)
"I shoot close range like Danny Ainge"-Biggie Smalls

« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2008, 05:58:30 PM »

Offline Champzilla

• Jaylen Brown
Well I support my team.

« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2008, 05:58:50 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I seem to remember the coaching staff and then just about everyone except me and a few others on this site praising the abilities and talent of one Brandon Wallace. Lots of stuff written about him being played out of position in college and that the defense he learned there would make him a tough, defensive SF stopper. People went on and on and on about Brandon Wallace.

Then he didn't make the team.

Let's wait a couple of weeks before doing the same thing this year with the rookies and Pruitt, O'Bryant and Miles. With the exception of Miles, who doesn't have a guaranteed contract, they will all probably be on the roster and see little to no playing time. We are going to hear great things about all of them up until a few days before the season opener and then they will become afterthoughts on this team as a couple will probably go to the NBDL, one will be cut and the others will see sparse to no playing time.

Remember, this is the time that we hear how everyone is a potential All-Star. Let's let reality take over at the end of the month and then we can judge just how important any of these guys will be to this team this year.

« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2008, 06:06:28 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja
hey! its been a long, dull off season....

even the 60th pick in the draft got his own thread or two is has been so slow.

now the celtics are back in camp. preseason is almost here. season is not far behind.

let us all enjoy each and every moment. we waited long enough and deserve it.

oh yeah... for the season, POB will average 18 pts and 16 rbs with 4 blocks a game.

denial... its not just for breakfast anymore.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2008, 07:08:35 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830
Does anyone remember the last time we took a Golden State center with great talent but questionable motivation? How'd that turn again?

3...2...1... Roy's head explodes.