Author Topic: New Simmons article: No one is beating the Lakers  (Read 16323 times)

Re: New Simmons article: No one is beating the Lakers
« Reply #45 on: May 30, 2008, 05:58:03 PM »

Offline MetroGlobe

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 74
I don't understand why you guys are bashing him so badly for this article.  First and foremost Simmons is a journalist.  A comedic columnist.  He editorializes by writing opinions.  Why is he not allowed to think that the Celtics are not the best team?  Just because he's a Celtics fan, he's not allowed to view his team as an underdog?  How is that fair?  It's one thing to criticize his opinion and his writing.  But now you're actually bashing the man himself.  I'm sorry but I think you're going a little too far.

Those of you who have been reading him for years are just upset because he's so mainstream now, and that he's literally become a national columnist.  He can't write total homer pieces anymore.  It's not his job to do that.  It's his job to "call it like he sees it".  And in this case he thinks the Lake Show is superior.  Argue that point all you want.  But stop whining about blasphemy and traitorism and all that junk.  It belittles your intelligence when you make it personal against the writer.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2008, 11:06:17 PM by MetroGlobe »

« Reply #46 on: May 30, 2008, 06:15:12 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
Bill Simmons is past his prime. He used to be great but now he's the guy who stayed around for one season too many. Bill is Willie Mays with the Mets, Namath with the Rams, Goodrich with the Jazz.

« Reply #47 on: May 30, 2008, 06:17:57 PM »

Offline OriginalODb

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 31
TP MetroGlobe!

I know its not everyone but I feel like a lot of us Boston fans have gotten kinda soft ever since we started winning titles. It seems like a lot of people get really offendend if people critize our teams.

I thought us New Englanders were supposed to be a Thick-skinned sarcastic lot. Enjoy the winning, who cares what the national media/fans say. As long as we are winning let them say whatever.

I'm a very laid back person so maybe Im in the minority, but let them say we cheated our way to 3 super bowls and we have no chance of winning the NBA title at the end of the day we get to go to the victory parades

« Reply #48 on: May 30, 2008, 06:33:37 PM »

Offline orrzor

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 58
It's pretty horrible the stuff he said about Ray Allen, calling him an Aberration Guy. Ray was in a slump, it's not like yesterday was the first day he hit a 3. And it's ridiculous how he discounts that whenever this team needs to step up and win the game, it actually does so. Did he ever consider this is the team's first time in the playoffs??

And applauding the Lakers fans for not coming till the second quarter? Then calling them knowledgeable and good fans because they are rich? This is so illogical I don't even know where to begin.

I'm not sure who would win Celtics-Lakers (and I don't care now because we are playing the Pistons for goodness sakes), but it would be closer than what Simmons is saying. I really think our defense would be a huge factor that he is discounting completely.

« Reply #49 on: May 30, 2008, 07:43:51 PM »

Offline vinnie

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 429
Not going to read the article, but I picked the Lakers to win the championship from the beginning of the playoffs and have not changed my mind.  Kobe is playing out of his head and showing why he is the MVP.  As for the teams the lakers and Celtics have beaten in the playoffs, there is no question that the Lakers have beaten the better teams and done it a lot more earily then the Celtics.  Lakers in 6 (over either Boston or Detroit).  (I am a diehard Celtics fan for 40-plus years.  Just believe the Lakers have the best player in the league with a strong surrounding cast and a much better coach)

« Reply #50 on: May 30, 2008, 09:21:18 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
the refs handed them Game 4 by not giving Brent Barry a call that Kobe would have gotten 100 times out of 100.

I hate this nonsense.

Bowen did the exact same thing to Kobe in Game Five and there was no call. He bit on the pump fake, he hit him and there was no call. It wasn't the first time Bowen did that this series.

« Reply #51 on: May 30, 2008, 09:48:20 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
the refs handed them Game 4 by not giving Brent Barry a call that Kobe would have gotten 100 times out of 100.

I hate this nonsense.

Bowen did the exact same thing to Kobe in Game Five and there was no call. He bit on the pump fake, he hit him and there was no call. It wasn't the first time Bowen did that this series.

Who, even the NBA admitted that it was a foul. When will you?
Kobe will get that call ten years after he retires.

« Reply #52 on: May 30, 2008, 10:28:18 PM »

Offline ziggen

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 19
Is it just me or does Kobe Travel everytime he goes for a layup? He could pick up that ball from the 3 pointline and dunk it with no traveling call? I don't know who's worse Cabron James, or Kobe.

Still can't believe he got MVP. Didn't know ballhogs get that.
Hello World

« Reply #53 on: May 30, 2008, 10:29:22 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith

I hate this nonsense.

Who, even the NBA admitted that it was a foul. When will you?
Kobe will get that call ten years after he retires.

It's a borderline call. I'm perfectly content with it going either way. They call it fine, they don't, fine.

What I dislike is everyone acting like it got called differently because it was Brent Barry. That's nonsense.

« Reply #54 on: May 30, 2008, 10:37:45 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
I don't understand why you guys are bashing him so badly for this article.  First and foremost Simmons is a journalist.  A comedic columnist.  He editorializes by writing opinions.  Why is he not allowed to think that the Celtics are not the best team?  Just because he's a Celtics fan, he's not allowed his team as an underdog?  It's one thing to criticize his opinion and his writing.  But now you're actually bashing the man himself.  I'm sorry but I think you're going a little too far.

Right on. I'm suprised by the reaction to this article. I thought it was one of his better bball pieces this season.

« Reply #55 on: May 30, 2008, 11:54:48 PM »

Offline Spoon

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 14
I don't understand why you guys are bashing him so badly for this article.  First and foremost Simmons is a journalist.  A comedic columnist.  He editorializes by writing opinions.  Why is he not allowed to think that the Celtics are not the best team?  Just because he's a Celtics fan, he's not allowed his team as an underdog?  It's one thing to criticize his opinion and his writing.  But now you're actually bashing the man himself.  I'm sorry but I think you're going a little too far.

Right on. I'm suprised by the reaction to this article. I thought it was one of his better bball pieces this season.

Not right on. This is why everyone is tired of Simmons. If the Celtics beat the Lakers he'll blubber about how great this team is. How the tougher defensive minded Eastern team beat the soft Western team. Kiss KG, Ray, and Doc's rear. Wax poetic how great it is to be a Celtic fan after years of suffering. Waste two paragraphs about him and his dad crying. Throw in some bad movie references. Typical Simmons nonsense. He'll laugh off this column as some "reverse jinx" again. Phony.

And if the Celtics lose he'll tell you I told you so. And bash Doc, Ray, and KG finding ways to compare them to Grady Little and other losers.

It's pretty clear. He doesn't believe in this team. He never did. If you are a Celtic fan and don't believe in this team then don't even think of jumping on the bandwagon at the end. Being a sports fans doesn't work like that.

Just because Simmons still has egg on his face for acting like an arrogant jerk over the Patriots doesn't mean he has to play the old pessimistic New England fan because he got his comeupance. This is why we are tired of his act and don't want him anywhere near the Celtics.

« Reply #56 on: May 30, 2008, 11:58:55 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

Not right on. This is why everyone is tired of Simmons. If the Celtics beat the Lakers he'll blubber about how great this team is. How the tougher defensive minded Eastern team beat the soft Western team. Kiss KG, Ray, and Doc's rear. Wax poetic how great it is to be a Celtic fan after years of suffering. Waste two paragraphs about him and his dad crying. Throw in some bad movie references. Typical Simmons nonsense. He'll laugh off this column as some "reverse jinx" again. Phony.
<snip>

Honestly, it wouldn't surprise me if he wrote a column in advance, and stored it away to prove he was reverse-jinxing all along.  Still strikes me as prickish and insincere, but I give Simmons enough credit to think if he's doing the reverse-jinx thing, he's gonna leave a paper trail to prove he was doing it.

« Reply #57 on: May 30, 2008, 11:59:55 PM »

Offline Birdbrain

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • 36 charges and counting..
Journalist?  Ugh not exactly unless the definition of journalist has changed.  Reverse jinx not a chance sell out is more like it.
Little Fockers 1.5/10
Gulliver's Travels 1/10
Grown Ups -20/10
Tron Legacy 6.5/10

« Reply #58 on: May 31, 2008, 12:12:43 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith

And if the Celtics lose he'll tell you I told you so. And bash Doc, Ray, and KG finding ways to compare them to Grady Little and other losers.

It's pretty clear. He doesn't believe in this team. He never did. If you are a Celtic fan and don't believe in this team then don't even think of jumping on the bandwagon at the end. Being a sports fans doesn't work like that.

Just because Simmons still has egg on his face for acting like an arrogant jerk over the Patriots doesn't mean he has to play the old pessimistic New England fan because he got his comeupance. This is why we are tired of his act and don't want him anywhere near the Celtics.

Hey I'm right with you on Simmons' work in general and how he acts.

I'm just surprised by the reaction to this piece. He's been saying many of things through the playoffs about the Lakers. What's wrong with having that opinion? There's a lot to like concerning the Lakers chances of winning the title. What he said about the Celtics has been thrown around these forums (unconvincing play) over the past few weeks too.

Very often I hate his work, especially this season. Maybe last year too, memory is hazy (his writing isn't exactly worth entrenching to memory). I just had no problem with this and after reading every post in this thread I haven't understood anyone else's problems with this piece either.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2008, 12:46:16 AM by Who »

« Reply #59 on: May 31, 2008, 12:28:33 AM »

Offline kamakawiwaole

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 23
honestly, it's pretty clear to me what's going on.  Simmons is in the middle of switching teams.   he lives & works in LA, has been hyping the lakers for the better half of the season while at the same time dismissing the celtics. i mean the article on KG not being clutch...Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline., why? why the negativity, why the dissing.  we are so lucky to have him!!!  I say we juss push ahead this motion.  I think, we, the celticsblog community, should exile him from the fan base of the celtics. i mean its pretty nasty, but honestly, a game before the celtics close out detroit on the road to make it to the finals, simmons puts out an article dismissing the celtics in favor of the lakers in a classic rematch, which has yet to happen, while still calling himself Bostons superfan or some bullcrap...i juss think its in bad taste.  so on the front page of Celticsblog i think the title should read "Bill Simmons exiled from Boston Celtic fan base"

and serious...the celtics were the 2nd worst team in the NBA last season, got screwed in the draft, and turned it all around and are now in the finals.  i dont know about anyone else cough SIMMONS cough, but im loving it.