Author Topic: New Simmons article: No one is beating the Lakers  (Read 16334 times)

Re: New Simmons article: No one is beating the Lakers
« Reply #30 on: May 30, 2008, 05:03:35 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3176
How could you not want to play the Lakers? "To be the man, you have to beat the man". Ric Flair said that...believe it. These are the same people who didn't want the Colts or wouldn't want the Yankees. I don't care if people think we're over-matched, we are as good as any team in the league and want it at least as much. Bring on the Lakers! Let's see if Kobe is Jordanesque.

The Lakers have yet to play a physical team that plays nasty defense. I didn't want to get into this yet, but Posey and KG can match up with their front court (or Perk could beast them); Ray, Posey and Tony can bother Kobe  and Rondo will be difficult at both ends for them. And for all the talk about their bench against the Spurs and our bench struggling against the Pistons starters, we match up really well in that end too. That's all I'll say for now, but I like our chances.
I like our chances as well, but no Tony Allen. He's hurt again. I don't think we'll see Tony suited up in Celtics green again....

« Reply #31 on: May 30, 2008, 05:04:09 PM »

Offline eddietours

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 19
people relax celtics will win  ;D

« Reply #32 on: May 30, 2008, 05:06:36 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
anyone think the quality of simmons's articles have declined in these playoffs? (or since the celtics have been relevant again for that matter.

that's not a dig at the sports guy, because in my opinion he's the best sports writer out there and i love how he writes.

I think so, and apparently it's at least in part because he's unhappy with the restrictions ESPN is putting on his work.  Deadspin and some other sites have been following this semi-closely, but a big issue was that he had Obama lined up for a podcast and got it cancelled at the last minute because ESPN had a policy of no candidate coverage to appear nonpartisan.  This is partly why the quantity of his work has dropped as dramatically as the quality. 

As far as the article goes itself, he makes some legitimate points about the different playoff performance of the two teams, but overall he comes off as a whiny jackass.  I used to love Simmons, now I mostly read him to marvel at how much he's slipped and hope some of the old stuff comes back.  He still has a semi-unique perspective and style for a national writer too, though that's leaving him too (still hanging on to those 90210 references though  ::)). 

It's just kind of depressing to see a formerly enthusiastic, unabashed homer turn into one of those fans who are always in the mode of "Criticize and gripe.  If criticism turns out to be valid, harp on it endlessly.  If criticism turns out to be wrong (ie his constant predictions that we'd blow a Cleveland series, or that KG can't score in the clutch), don't acknowledge it in the slightest and move on to the new criticism."  Fans like that drive me nuts, as some of you may have noticed, and it's a shame to see him go that route.

« Reply #33 on: May 30, 2008, 05:06:51 PM »

Offline ScoobyDoo

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 442
Veal, I am definately a Koolaid drinking Celtic fan with major blinders on, can't help it. But in no way do I think I am just a die hard fan who refuses to see things for what they are.

1. I am way more scared of the Pistons with Billups, Hamilton, Rasheed and Prince and Mcdyess than of Kobe and that puss Gasol and Odom. These guys are tough, savvy and physical.

2. I was way more scared of a LeBron lead team that was A) the best rebounding team in the playoffs and B) neck in neck with us for the best defensive team in the playoffs. DWest played every bit as good Fisher and Gasol's got nothing on Zadrunas. Cleveland's inside of Smith, Varejo, Zadrunas and Wallace would have Gasol, Odom and Turiaf for lunch. LeBron and Kobe are a draw. I would pick Cleveland in that series.

3. The Spurs are a good defensive team but they are very tired and banged up this year. They may be at the end of their run. Denver and Utah play Zero defense. Zero.

I am not terrified whatsoever of the Lakers

If we get past Detroit, Celts in six.

If I'm proved wrong, I'll admit it. Until then I'm not refusing to see things for what they are...my reality right now is that if we get there...we will

A)Physicall destroy the Lakers around the rim and dominate the boards

B) make what looks like a juggernaut offense seem mediocre once it finally sees some semblence of defense.

C) Do the same to Kobe we did to LeBron. Kobe will go off but it won't be enough to win the series.

We need to get by the Pistons first.

« Reply #34 on: May 30, 2008, 05:07:36 PM »

Offline Triboy16

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 24
Lakers have no chance against us. Our defense is so much better than theirs. i'd like to see kobe try his up and unders on kg. Duncan is good but has trouble against athletic guards like kobe

Also dont forget pierce and allen. In any case most important thing is that we win tonight first

« Reply #35 on: May 30, 2008, 05:07:51 PM »

Offline JAM

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 12
I've posted it before, and I'm gonna post it again- Bill Simmons has Stockholm Syndrome.  He needs professional help.  I live in LA currently, and if I see him walking on Larchmont, getting coffee or eating pizza, I'm gonna give it to him.  Oh, am I gonna give it to him.

« Reply #36 on: May 30, 2008, 05:08:14 PM »

Offline OriginalODb

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 31
My take is there are two types of diehard fans, the ones who think their team is the greatest and will beat all takers. And fans like Simmons who for whatever reason constantly focus on the negative but still hope for the best.

Im more of the later, so obviously Im not upset over the article

« Reply #37 on: May 30, 2008, 05:09:33 PM »

Offline quidinqui33

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 71

« Reply #38 on: May 30, 2008, 05:10:19 PM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
Let's face it. His argument is solid. The team with the league's best player wins an astonishing percentage of the championships.

That being said, the C's have a legit chance for 3 reasons:

1. They play the best defense in the league

2. Garnett is the worst match up in the league for Gasol

3. While he is correct that the C's have looked shaky at the end of games, the Lakers don't have the defense at the two key spots to disrupt Boston's offense. Rondo and Pierce will have far less trouble getting where they want against LA than they have against Cleveland or Detroit.

« Reply #39 on: May 30, 2008, 05:12:59 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
One more thing:

How in the world can you say it's a Pro-Lakers argument that while our fans are up and energetic the whole game, theirs are lackadaisical, show up late, don't get involved much, and don't seem particularly enthused by the circumstances of the game?  That's the single dumbest argument of the several dumb arguments in the piece.

« Reply #40 on: May 30, 2008, 05:18:52 PM »

Offline Stu

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 44
One more thing:

How in the world can you say it's a Pro-Lakers argument that while our fans are up and energetic the whole game, theirs are lackadaisical, show up late, don't get involved much, and don't seem particularly enthused by the circumstances of the game?  That's the single dumbest argument of the several dumb arguments in the piece.

Plus, the Lakers were up 3-1.  Of course the fans are going to be confident and relaxed in that situation.  The Celtics were tied at 2-2.  Their game 5 was pivotal; LA's was not.

« Reply #41 on: May 30, 2008, 05:20:22 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
One more thing:

Plus, the Lakers were up 3-1.  Of course the fans are going to be confident and relaxed in that situation.  The Celtics were tied at 2-2.  Their game 5 was pivotal; LA's was not.

Very true - and how can YOU, sir, have that name and avatar?  I was pretty sure that Disco Stu does NOT advertise... ;)

« Reply #42 on: May 30, 2008, 05:22:51 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3176
Pierce has always given the Lakers trouble even when they were good and our team stunk. Pierce will go wild in the finals. Now beat the Pistons and let's get on with it.

« Reply #43 on: May 30, 2008, 05:29:24 PM »

Offline IdahoGreen

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 4
Agreed.  I'm looking forward to marking "Celtics in Four" on the poll that will soon be on the front page.

« Reply #44 on: May 30, 2008, 05:33:31 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
I love how Simmons now labels his KG column as a "reverse jinx". 

Loser.

thats his MO. if the celts win it, he'll say he was "reverse jinxing" them all along. if they lose he'll say he was right.

he does this all the time, did it with the 2007 redsox.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion