Poll

Who should close games at Center for the C's?

Kanter
5 (10.2%)
Theis
6 (12.2%)
Robert Williams
13 (26.5%)
Grant Williams
15 (30.6%)
Smart
10 (20.4%)

Total Members Voted: 49

Author Topic: Who should close games at Center?  (Read 10603 times)

Re: Who should close games at Center?
« Reply #60 on: November 09, 2019, 09:56:16 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3176
TIMELORD is amazing. I think he's the most athletic center we've had in Celtics green since Russell!

« Reply #61 on: November 10, 2019, 02:08:57 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
At therate things are going, Poirer and Tacko should close games at Center.

« Reply #62 on: November 10, 2019, 07:56:16 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Robert Williams had a big game tonite--doing what they need the most in the middle. 6 blocks.

I'd like to see him start--to put more D into the starting lineup against the opponents' starters.

The kid has improved a lot this year, and deserves a shot.

Guys like Kanter and Theis really aren't going to add much to what this team needs in the middle.
Except for the fact that RWIII has indeed improved a lot this year, I mostly disagree with this post.  Kanter is an outstanding offensive rebounder and both Theis & Kanter being scoring threats opens things up for the more talented offensive players in the starting lineup.

As great a game as RWIII had, I'd like to see him continue to come off the bench and build his confidence against lesser competition.  Also, the bench needs to be good on defense too, to prevent giving away of leads built by the starters.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2019, 08:13:14 AM by Surferdad »

« Reply #63 on: November 10, 2019, 11:05:09 AM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 550
Robert Williams had a big game tonite--doing what they need the most in the middle. 6 blocks.

I'd like to see him start--to put more D into the starting lineup against the opponents' starters.

Guys like Kanter and Theis really aren't going to add much to what this team needs in the middle.
Except for the fact that RWIII has indeed improved a lot this year, I mostly disagree with this post.  Kanter is an outstanding offensive rebounder and both Theis & Kanter being scoring threats opens things up for the more talented offensive players in the starting lineup.

As great a game as RWIII had, I'd like to see him continue to come off the bench and build his confidence against lesser competition.  Also, the bench needs to be good on defense too, to prevent giving away of leads built by the starters.

Theis really hasn't been much of a scoring threat this year, he's been kind of bad offensively. He has a TS% of 44%, league average is usually around 55% and for a center  a good deal higher than that. Kanter is a scoring threat, but I honestly think in a lot of cases you'd be better off just letting Jaylen, Kemba, Tatum, Hayward take those shots and playing a better defensive center. Where he might help you in the second unit scoring.

« Reply #64 on: November 10, 2019, 11:13:51 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

Theis really hasn't been much of a scoring threat this year, he's been kind of bad offensively. He has a TS% of 44%, league average is usually around 55% and for a center  a good deal higher than that. Kanter is a scoring threat, but I honestly think in a lot of cases you'd be better off just letting Jaylen, Kemba, Tatum, Hayward take those shots and playing a better defensive center. Where he might help you in the second unit scoring.
Well, Theis can hit the 3 and it seems like he's doing it more often lately.  He only needs to have the ability to stand out there and threaten taking a 3, he doesn't need to be a major shot-taker.

« Reply #65 on: November 10, 2019, 11:29:26 AM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 292
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
At the rate things are going, Poirer and Tacko should close games at Center.

^ This certainly deserves a TP.  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

« Reply #66 on: November 10, 2019, 11:34:53 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Given how well we’re playing with Theis starting and Williams subbing, why on earth would anyone want to change center rotation?

Leave it alone. It works.

Too many get addicted to trade proposals/lineup changes just for the sake of doing it.

« Reply #67 on: November 10, 2019, 12:22:20 PM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141

As I pointed out in another thread, they don't need more offense at center. They need a Bill Russell type of defensive player who can block shots and defend the paint. Kanter is not a shotblocker or strong defensive player. And he will see fewer ORs on this perimeter heavy team.

The '57 Celtics were built similarly to the current team. Strong offensively with their starters but lacking a defensive force in the middle. Russell changed all that and made them unbeatable.