Poll

Of The Current Likely Scenarios, What Path Do You Prefer Most?

Play Detroit, Then Toronto
11 (23.9%)
Play Indiana, Then Milwaukee
19 (41.3%)
Really Don't Care. Whoever We Face, Bring It On!
16 (34.8%)

Total Members Voted: 46

Author Topic: East Playoff Seedings and Preferences (merged threads)  (Read 12469 times)

Still A Little Too Early To Decide Seeding Preference (3rd or 4th)
« Reply #60 on: March 11, 2019, 10:33:37 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
As some folks have mentioned, the #1 and #6 seeds aren't locked in yet. MIL seems likely to get the #1 seed, but it's not impossible for TOR to overtake them as they are 3 games back with about 15-16 games left this season (unlikely but not impossible). Detroit has been playing fantastic lately and have a fairly easier schedule than Brooklyn to end the year, but it's still a very tight race between the two for the 6 seed.

This matters, as getting the 3 seed or 4 seed could really affect our overall playoff path. In all likelihood, 3 seed would play DET or BKN first round, then TOR. 4 seed plays IND, then MIL in 2nd round.

Theoretically getting the 3 seed might sound better because of that "easier" first round matchup, but I'd argue DET has looked like arguably one of the best teams in the league lately, and IND as we know don't have Oladipo. They remind me a bit of our 2017-2018 team with how they've persevered despite injuries, but I'm confident they'll drop to the 5 seed because of their brutal schedule to close out the season.

We may have PHI's number but you're kidding yourself if you actually think getting by them in a first round will be "easy". They've added more talent and if they can be healthy, they'll be really tough. If we play them, I'd rather in a later round.

Giannis has looked like the best player in the league this year, but he's also a bit limited on jumpers still (though not as much as Ben Simmons). If 1 or 2 shooters struggle then that MIL team also tends to struggle. Meanwhile, Kawhi is a PROVEN playoff performer who can score from anywhere and DEFEND anyone. Toronto is also loaded and we're like 1-12 in our last 13 road games @TOR (yeesh).

Basically, I think we're in a good spot now (just 1 back of PHI and IND), and we can keep pace and get to the 4 seed soon. When there's a few weeks to go, maybe then they could decide if they want to win or "tank" games to get the 4 seed and have a better playoff path (likely IND 1st round with HCA, then MIL). But as I also outlined, it's still a little too early to pencil in playoff matchups yet so all we can currently do is play great basketball, improve and win as much as possible.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2019, 12:55:37 PM by Phantom255x »
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

Re: Still A Little Too Early To Decide Seeding Preferance (3rd or 4th)
« Reply #61 on: March 11, 2019, 10:59:55 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
It's tough. I think we match up a little bit better against Milwaukee than Toronto, but it's close.

In the 1st it's easy to say take the Pacers but I heard someone compare them to last year's Celtics without Kyrie + Hayward and it's a decent comparison. They will play smart and tough and won't quit just because their star is out. I prefer Detroit to them even though they're hot right now.

There's also of course the comedy scenario where Toronto flames out in the 1st again - I don't think it's too likely but Brooklyn would be a scrappy opponent, We'd need to be in their half to take advantage of it if it happened.

« Reply #62 on: March 11, 2019, 12:33:32 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
I prefer Detroit and then Toronto.

I think both of those teams will really test us because they both have alot of size and play a very good half-court game.

If we can beat both of those teams, then honestly IMO, I think we can take whoever we face in the ECF (Bucks or Sixers) and then maybe, even Golden State.

Personally, I prefer the teams which will give us the tougher match-ups rather than seek the path of least resistance. It will shows us what the team is really made of and what areas need improvement and addressing this summer.

« Reply #63 on: March 11, 2019, 01:07:15 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
It's tough. I think we match up a little bit better against Milwaukee than Toronto, but it's close.

In the 1st it's easy to say take the Pacers but I heard someone compare them to last year's Celtics without Kyrie + Hayward and it's a decent comparison. They will play smart and tough and won't quit just because their star is out. I prefer Detroit to them even though they're hot right now.

There's also of course the comedy scenario where Toronto flames out in the 1st again - I don't think it's too likely but Brooklyn would be a scrappy opponent, We'd need to be in their half to take advantage of it if it happened.

I do not get the “Indiana is a threat” narrative going around here lately.

Not a good comparison at all. We had a ton of talent even without our two stars last playoffs. They really don’t. They had an easy schedule to put together a solid record, but routinely lose all the tough games (often blown out). Now that their schedule gets tough, you’ll see they aren’t scary without VO.

Detroit is much tougher as they have a star in Griffin and a guy who routinely gives us trouble, Drummond.

In fact, I wouldn’t rule out Detroit overtaking Indy (6 back in loss column). They have a few tough games including a west coast trip, but also two games against Indy. If they come out of that 5-game trip 4-1 (probably unlikely with games in POR, GS, and DEN), they could sneak past Indiana.
CELTICS 2024

Re: Still A Little Too Early To Decide Seeding Preference (3rd or 4th)
« Reply #64 on: March 11, 2019, 02:15:56 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
More important to be playing well going into playoffs than seeding. Worrying about seeding means you don’t believe in your abilities which is death knell.

« Reply #65 on: March 11, 2019, 02:30:29 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1361
I would prefer to avoid Toronto in the 2nd round, only because we have a terrible record in Toronto, I think it's 14 losses in 15 games the past few years? So if Mil finish 1 and Toronto 2 by being in the 4th/5th seed we would avoid Toronto in the 2nd round (assuming we progress) and play Milwaukee where I think we have a solid chance of stealing one there.

All that being said Phantom, I think it's more important for the team to keep playing well and executing at a high level and staying connected than to worry about trying to target a specific seed and "tanking" certain games to manipulate the standings. I think that would be a disaster for their mindset once they start thinking "well even if I lose this game it's ok because I want to target x seed anyway". Try to aim for playing and executing at a high level whether we win or lose and carry that into the playoffs. The team has to believe that we can get to the Finals even if we're the 8th seed so that they are mentally prepared going into the playoffs. If we get to the playoffs playing at a similar level that we did against Golden State and with the same connectedness that we've seen on this road trip, then I think we will be a handful for whoever we end up playing against.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

Re: East Playoff Seedings and Preferences (merged threads)
« Reply #66 on: March 11, 2019, 03:49:53 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Celtics are only 1 game back from being the 3rd seed in the East.  8 games back from 2nd seed.

So I think a realistic goal is to obtain that 3rd seed.  Because home court is very important for this Celtics team.

They only won 1 game on the road in the playoffs last season.

If we secure 3rd seed, that means we likely open against the Pistons at home.  Then we'll probably play the Sixers or Pacers next, again at home.

That's the most favorable outcome imo.  And given the recent hot streak and 15 games left to go, it's totally doable for the Celtics.

« Reply #67 on: March 11, 2019, 03:59:33 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Having HCA in the 1st round is vital; I don't trust this team to necessarily win on the road.

The Celts will have an uphill battle in the second round regardless, so being in the best position to get out of the 1st round is what matters.

To that end I'd rather they play against the Pistons.  Detroit has played well recently, but I think the Celts have generally done pretty well against them.  Andre Drummond does not scare me one bit in a playoff series, and Blake is manageable. 

Please give me the playoff opponent that starts Reggie Jackson and a couple of fringe-NBA wings.

The Pacers have skill and muscle inside to go along with a balanced and well coached roster.  I think they would be very hard for the Celtics to handle.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #68 on: March 11, 2019, 04:19:16 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
I do not get the “Indiana is a threat” narrative going around here lately.

Not a good comparison at all. We had a ton of talent even without our two stars last playoffs. They really don’t. They had an easy schedule to put together a solid record, but routinely lose all the tough games (often blown out). Now that their schedule gets tough, you’ll see they aren’t scary without VO.

I don't think they're a threat, just that they're more dangerous than given credit for, because they still play smart, unselfish ball. If we play down to them like we've done with other inferior opponents they could give us a hell of a series. I still think we beat them, just that we shouldn't get overconfident.

The other half of that is I don't really respect Detroit. They're not cut out for playoff ball in my opinion.

« Reply #69 on: March 11, 2019, 05:36:27 PM »

Offline Silas

• 2020 CelticsStrong Draft Guru
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1772
More important to be playing well going into playoffs than seeding. Worrying about seeding means you don’t believe in your abilities which is death knell.

I agree.  If the Cs continue to play like they have for the past 3 games it won't matter who they play; they will go to the finals.
I've lived through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.   -  Mark Twain

« Reply #70 on: March 11, 2019, 06:53:00 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
Celtics are only 1 game back from being the 3rd seed in the East.  8 games back from 2nd seed.

So I think a realistic goal is to obtain that 3rd seed.  Because home court is very important for this Celtics team.

They only won 1 game on the road in the playoffs last season.

If we secure 3rd seed, that means we likely open against the Pistons at home.  Then we'll probably play the Sixers or Pacers next, again at home.

That's the most favorable outcome imo.  And given the recent hot streak and 15 games left to go, it's totally doable for the Celtics.

That would be nice, except I'd be shocked if MIL or Toronto lost in the 1st round, so it's very likely we play either in the 2nd round. And actually, if we're the 3 seed and IND/PHI the 4-5 seeds, then we can't actually play them until the ECF anyways.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #71 on: March 11, 2019, 09:32:17 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 291
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
Very easy get #3 and we easy go through the first round. In the second round we'll probably face the Raptors and without HCA that will be pretty tough, but that's a LOT better than having to play the Bucks. That's the team to fear. They're way better than the Raptors. Antetokounmpo >> Leonard.

Don't let last year's win in the playoffs fool you. The Bucks are a different team under Budenholzer and have surrounded Giannis with shooters. That team has figured out how they play and which roles everybody has. Well balanced.

However if the Celtics can play their best game every night they can beat everybody. Even the Bucks, Rockets or Warriors.

« Reply #72 on: March 11, 2019, 09:33:40 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
I think Detroit and Indy are a wash with competitiveness, at most either of them would take two games from us.

The main concern should be keeping away Philly in the first round. While I think we'd be favored to win with or without homecourt advantage, that's just asking for trouble getting that draw in the first round.

« Reply #73 on: March 12, 2019, 04:44:26 AM »

Offline Briantir

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 14
Very easy get #3 and we easy go through the first round. In the second round we'll probably face the Raptors and without HCA that will be pretty tough, but that's a LOT better than having to play the Bucks. That's the team to fear. They're way better than the Raptors. Antetokounmpo >> Leonard.

Don't let last year's win in the playoffs fool you. The Bucks are a different team under Budenholzer and have surrounded Giannis with shooters. That team has figured out how they play and which roles everybody has. Well balanced.

However if the Celtics can play their best game every night they can beat everybody. Even the Bucks, Rockets or Warriors.

Kawhi is a the hardest player to game plan against in the conference even If you manage to shut him down which you really wont you just gotta hope he has a bad game, Kawhi can kill you from 3 from mid range free throws and the paint that's just offensively... defensively he can force turnovers like a mad man block passing lanes with his insane hands create difflications...

Celtics wont beat Toronto Kawhi will player better in the playoffs can the same be said with Gianiss?

The bucks are much more easier to game plan against in my opinion and we already beat them, they may have changed coaches but in the end the players are the ones playing and they have the same personal as last year basically.

« Reply #74 on: March 12, 2019, 08:01:57 AM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 291
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am

Kawhi is a the hardest player to game plan against in the conference even If you manage to shut him down which you really wont you just gotta hope he has a bad game, Kawhi can kill you from 3 from mid range free throws and the paint that's just offensively... defensively he can force turnovers like a mad man block passing lanes with his insane hands create difflications...

Celtics wont beat Toronto Kawhi will player better in the playoffs can the same be said with Gianiss?

The bucks are much more easier to game plan against in my opinion and we already beat them, they may have changed coaches but in the end the players are the ones playing and they have the same personal as last year basically.

Sure Leonard will have good games and there's not a lot you can do about it, but he's not a guy that can dominate a series like Giannis. And although Giannis has weak points in his game, it's still almost impossible to stop him, just like LeBron. And Giannis has an ideal supporting cast.

On the other hand Toronto isn't significantly better with Leonard than without. Leonard isn't much of a playmaker and sometimes gets into these phases where he's selfish and disrupts the offense. Also Giannis is always a big factor on defense, while Leonard doesn't always give full effort and sometimes he's even a liability on defense (maybe that changes during the playoffs).

No, I think Giannis is by far the best player in the Eastern Conference and his supporting cast (Bledsoe, Hill, Brogdon, Snell, Middleton, Mirotic, Ilyasova, Lopez) is also better and more reliable than Leonard's (Lowry, VanVleet, Lin, Green, Powell, Anunoby, Siakam, Ibaka, Gasol). To me the Bucks are almost on the same level as the Warriors.