Poll

if Lebron signs with the NYK this summer, will the C's be more or less attractive to 2012 free agents?

less attractive, dont want to be in th same division as Lebron
2 (10.5%)
more attractive, wants to join the C's to become a part of the new Bos vs NY rivalry
2 (10.5%)
has no effect on the C's chances of landing a big UFA in 2012
15 (78.9%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Author Topic: If Lebron signs with NYK in 2010 , will C's look attractive to 2012 UFA?  (Read 3859 times)

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
So the thread about who we would want to team up with Rondo + Perk after the big 3 are gone got me wondering if we are really going to be players for UFA in 2012 and if Lebrons decison in 2010 has any effect on the C's hope of landing a big fish.

I think the C's would look more attractive. You would have a rivalry like you haven't seen since Bird and Magic were going at it.  4 times a season we could see Melo or Durant( not very likely) going up against Lebron playing for cities that absolutely hate each other.  

The C's would have a core of

Rondo
Perk
BBD
Draft picks til 2012

Plus all the banners and retired numbers to entice free agents

I think that is a pretty solid core and if you can add a superstar like Melo to that you would be in business

I know this is probably a pipe dream , but I was bored ;D

Offline housecall

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 112
I like your way of thinking in possibly bringing Melo to Boston in the future.He will be around 27yrs.old in 2012 i think.I feel he is the second best sf in the league now,at times he has been the best.

Melo is one of few players that has gone toe to toe with Lebron and outplayed him on his homecourt this season(Quik.Arena).

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I don't think players think about "rivalries" when choosing a team.  My guess is most players believe rivalries are made by the players, not the cities.

I think these are the things they consider when choosing where to go:

1. Who can pay me the most (if its close, then they can look at other factors)
2a. Where do I want to live?
2c. How are the teammates...are they built to win?

3. How is the organization/historical impact?

Basically, if the C's have max cap space, and other teams don't, they will be in the running.  But depending on what other teams have cap space, they are going to have a tough time winning the battle for these guys.

Boston is not a super attractive city to NBA players (I would say they are towards the bottom of the middle of the pack, behind the bigger markets, and warm cities, but ahead of the tiny markets, and cold ones).

The organization is good, and the history is there...but I don't think many players put a ton of stock in that.  If everything was even between lets say, the C's and the Bobcats, then it might make a difference, but there is a rare situation where this will really have a bearing.

And the C's core, as it stands now, of Rondo, Perk, and Davis is not really the most attractive core out there.  Rondo could be a star, but he still has a bit to go, and none of those guys have a reputation as incredibly fun teammates. 

Offline jdub1660

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
ALright. Lets agree to remove BBD from our future. He is not a go-to-PF or anyone to build around. Rondo is great. Perk is good at C.

Melo would be the no1 option. Follow him with a scoring active PF like Ersan Ilysova or Anthony Randolph. Add a pure shooter like Anthony Morrow or Kyle Korver and we got a squad to contend with. Aging/aged vets like Mike Miller and Brad Miller could be fillers that year to complete to team at another Celtic Championship run
Can't stop, Rondo!

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
I like your way of thinking in possibly bringing Melo to Boston in the future.He will be around 27yrs.old in 2012 i think.I feel he is the second best sf in the league now,at times he has been the best.

Melo is one of few players that has gone toe to toe with Lebron and outplayed him on his homecourt this season(Quik.Arena).

Durant is already better than Melo and will only get better.

Melo isn't even a top 5 player in the league (though he's top 10)
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
I don't think players think about "rivalries" when choosing a team.  My guess is most players believe rivalries are made by the players, not the cities.

I think these are the things they consider when choosing where to go:

1. Who can pay me the most (if its close, then they can look at other factors)
2a. Where do I want to live?
2c. How are the teammates...are they built to win?

3. How is the organization/historical impact?

Basically, if the C's have max cap space, and other teams don't, they will be in the running.  But depending on what other teams have cap space, they are going to have a tough time winning the battle for these guys.

Boston is not a super attractive city to NBA players (I would say they are towards the bottom of the middle of the pack, behind the bigger markets, and warm cities, but ahead of the tiny markets, and cold ones).

The organization is good, and the history is there...but I don't think many players put a ton of stock in that.  If everything was even between lets say, the C's and the Bobcats, then it might make a difference, but there is a rare situation where this will really have a bearing.

And the C's core, as it stands now, of Rondo, Perk, and Davis is not really the most attractive core out there.  Rondo could be a star, but he still has a bit to go, and none of those guys have a reputation as incredibly fun teammates. 

I second this. 2012 is still a ways away, but its gonna be tough to lure that superstar. Hopefully Rondo will keep getting better and hold his top 5 slot in the PG rankings. Scorers love playing with guys that know how to give them the ball. Rondo is gifted in that department.

If the C's buy a 1st rounder this year, and keep this years pick, plus the 2011 and 2012 picks, they could be looking at the following salaries in 2012:

-The picks: $5-6 million
-An unnamed young MLE guy in summer of 2010 or 2011: $6 million
-Perkins, TA, Davis resigned (best case modest scenario): $13-14 between the 3 of them.
-And Rondo's $11 million

That could leave just enough to sign 1 max guy. (And this assumes the big 3 actually all retire / change teams in 2012.)

In this scenario one of those late 1st rounders will have to turn into a borderline star player, in order to seal the deal on making Boston a great FA destination in 2012.

the more I think about it, the more I think the 2012 team is going to be even more stripped down. Perhaps just Rondo and the new picks if they pan out. It would be great to have the cap space to get 2 superstars.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to breaking down all the possibilities for the next 3 years once we get through the playoffs.

Offline housecall

• Jim Loscutoff

Melo is probably #3 or 4scoring wise in the league?Before Melo was hurt,he was the leading candidtae for MVP this season.Durant is the better scorer but i don't feel Durant is a better all around player.Also,i never said Melo was a top(5)player in the league but i do feel he is #2 at his position.Durant winning a scoring title doesn't make him the better player.  

George"Iceman"Gervin won scoring titles but he wasn't the best sf in the league at the time.

Out of curiosity what 5 players in the league are better than Melo and what are the sources for your statement?

« Last Edit: April 29, 2010, 06:28:19 PM by housecall »

Offline housecall

• Jim Loscutoff
ALright. Lets agree to remove BBD from our future. He is not a go-to-PF or anyone to build around. Rondo is great. Perk is good at C.

Melo would be the no1 option. Follow him with a scoring active PF like Ersan Ilysova or Anthony Randolph. Add a pure shooter like Anthony Morrow or Kyle Korver and we got a squad to contend with. Aging/aged vets like Mike Miller and Brad Miller could be fillers that year to complete to team at another Celtic Championship run
I agree if you added Melo&maybe A.Randolph would be a great start...just to add a role player i would pick Travis Outlaw(if he picked up where he was before injury).tp
« Last Edit: April 29, 2010, 06:03:42 PM by housecall »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632

Well, I would consider Davis to be a part of the core, not because he's starting material, but because he's a great bench player to have as part of your core, imo (that doesn't mean I think he's untouchable).  Unless to you the term "core player" is reserved for franchise type players only. 
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Rondo = Good

Melo is probably #3 or 4scoring wise in the league?Before Melo was hurt,he was the leading candidtae for MVP this season.Durant is the better scorer but i don't feel Durant is a better all around player.Also,i never said Melo was a top(5)player in the league but i do feel he is #2 at his position.Durant winning a scoring title doesn't make him the better player.  

George"Iceman"Gervin won scoring titles but he wasn't the best sf in the league at the time.

Out of curiosity what 5 players in the league are better than Melo and whose/what are the sources for your statement?

LeBron James
Dwyane Wade
Kevin Durant
Dwight Howard
Chris Paul

That's my top 5. 

I base that off of my personal perception and available advanced metrics (PER, value added, estimated wins added).  The only debatable pick among those top 5, in my opinion, is Chris Paul.  I think he's become underrated because he was injured this year.  If you project his stats out over the course of 82 games, he'd be among the top 5 in VA and EWA, and he was the #1 PG in terms of PER despite playing 10-15 games coming back from injury.  Early in the year he was in the top 3 in the league in terms of PER (above 25).

Why no Kobe?  He's not nearly as efficient a player as he used to be; while he's still easily in the top 10 in the league, he's definitely not in the top 5 any longer.  He's maintained his reputation because of his past history and because he hits a lot clutch shots late in games - though he also takes a ton of shots late in games.

- Doc Rivers

Offline housecall

• Jim Loscutoff

Out of curiosity what 5 players in the league are better than Melo and whose/what are the sources for your statement?

LeBron James
Dwyane Wade
Kevin Durant
Dwight Howard
Chris Paul

That's my top 5.  

I base that off of my personal perception and available advanced metrics (PER, value added, estimated wins added).  The only debatable pick among those top 5, in my opinion, is Chris Paul.  I think he's become underrated because he was injured this year.  If you project his stats out over the course of 82 games, he'd be among the top 5 in VA and EWA, and he was the #1 PG in terms of PER despite playing 10-15 games coming back from injury.  Early in the year he was in the top 3 in the league in terms of PER (above 25).

Why no Kobe?  He's not nearly as efficient a player as he used to be; while he's still easily in the top 10 in the league, he's definitely not in the top 5 any longer.  He's maintained his reputation because of his past history and because he hits a lot clutch shots late in games - though he also takes a ton of shots late in games.
I don't know how Kobe got into this but i never felt he was in the top5 all season...i don't judge players on scoring alone.Gasol has been more efficient this season than Kobe.Defense is half of evaluating players and Durant hasn't reached that level to say he is a top(5)all around player yet.C.Paul has proven that he can be equally as good defensively in games if need be.Durant started to play better defense this season but not enough to put his all around game top(5).If you are basing most on scoring well we know he is the best.

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Rondo = Good

LeBron James
Dwyane Wade
Kevin Durant
Dwight Howard
Chris Paul

That's my top 5.  

I base that off of my personal perception and available advanced metrics (PER, value added, estimated wins added).  The only debatable pick among those top 5, in my opinion, is Chris Paul.  I think he's become underrated because he was injured this year.  If you project his stats out over the course of 82 games, he'd be among the top 5 in VA and EWA, and he was the #1 PG in terms of PER despite playing 10-15 games coming back from injury.  Early in the year he was in the top 3 in the league in terms of PER (above 25).

Why no Kobe?  He's not nearly as efficient a player as he used to be; while he's still easily in the top 10 in the league, he's definitely not in the top 5 any longer.  He's maintained his reputation because of his past history and because he hits a lot clutch shots late in games - though he also takes a ton of shots late in games.
I don't know how Kobe got into this but i never felt he was in the top5 all season...i don't judge players on scoring alone.Gasol has been more efficient this season than Kobe.Defense is half of evaluating players and Durant hasn't reached that level to say he is a top(5)all around player yet.C.Paul has proven that he can be equally as good defensively in games if need be.Durant started to play better defense this season but not enough to put his all around game top(5).If you are basing most on scoring well we know he is the best.

I'm basing it on PER, value added, estimated wins added, and the ability of the player to carry their team and contribute on both ends.  Those metric stats take into account a lot of different factors, though they tend to be skewed towards offensive stats.  However, all of the players I listed in the top 5 have shown they are great both through stats and simply willing their team to victory; that includes Durant.  

Again, Chris Paul gets something of a pass for this year because of his injury, though his metric stats were still really good and he actually improved his long range shooting a lot.

Anyway, the point of all this is to say that while Melo is a very good player he's not a FA acquisition that would definitely form a championship core.  I think the main priority needs to be finding a really good big man to take over for KG.  Good teams have great big men.  Rondo is a very good point guard, but a point guard is only as good as his big men.  Get Rondo a legit 20-10 guy for the next ten years and he'll be a Hall of Famer.

p.s. #4000!

- Doc Rivers

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2670
  • bammokja

but who rebounds on this team?
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas

LeBron James
Dwyane Wade
Kevin Durant
Dwight Howard
Chris Paul

That's my top 5.  

Good point about the defense. Melo barely gets the edge as an overall player in my opinion.

Even though Kobe is falling a bit, the guy is still a beast. In a single game series I'd worry more about him than I would anyone besides James and Wade. He's still in my top 5. ...I smell a new thread coming...

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas