Author Topic: Doc River's last season as head coach? (ESPN rumor page)  (Read 10485 times)

Doc River's last season as head coach? (ESPN rumor page)
« on: April 14, 2010, 07:26:40 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Even though no decision has been made, Doc Rivers might step down has the Celtics head coach after the season. According to the Boston Herald, Rivers is contemplating the move to be able to spend more time with his family.

"Part of it is true," Rivers said of the speculation. "Every year I sit down in the middle of the summer and I have a family discussion. We talk about what we want to do. That's nothing new, but every year it gets stronger and stronger. And I think people are making some common sense reads. I've got three seniors next year, two in college and one in high school. That's important to me. We're all family men. We all have kids. Every year you've got to weigh what's best for your kids. That's just the way it is. But, I don't get into it now. I don't talk about it. I've never told anyone one way or the other, and that's how it's always been."

"The one I will say is I'm committed to Boston," Rivers added. "It's either stay with the Celtics or I decide I need to stay more with the family

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/features/rumors

Re: Doc River's last season as head coach? (ESPN rumor page)
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2010, 07:38:49 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Doesn't he say this every season?

Of course, this year -- when it's clear that the team is sharply on the decline -- he may decide to leave on a mediocre note.  If he waits until next year, I think it'll be even worse, and he may not leave on his own terms.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2010, 07:39:02 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Even though no decision has been made, Doc Rivers might step down has the Celtics head coach after the season. According to the Boston Herald, Rivers is contemplating the move to be able to spend more time with his family.

"Part of it is true," Rivers said of the speculation. "Every year I sit down in the middle of the summer and I have a family discussion. We talk about what we want to do. That's nothing new, but every year it gets stronger and stronger. And I think people are making some common sense reads. I've got three seniors next year, two in college and one in high school. That's important to me. We're all family men. We all have kids. Every year you've got to weigh what's best for your kids. That's just the way it is. But, I don't get into it now. I don't talk about it. I've never told anyone one way or the other, and that's how it's always been."

"The one I will say is I'm committed to Boston," Rivers added. "It's either stay with the Celtics or I decide I need to stay more with the family

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/features/rumors
Makes sense.  This is truly the last go-around with this roster when it can pretend to be a contender.  Next year won't be pretty regardless of whether Danny keeps the team fairly intact or makes some major moves.

In either case, I think it's time for Doc to move on and get someone in that can motivate this roster to bring it every night.  Doc isn't getting that done this year.

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2010, 07:41:55 AM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
I feel Doc is one of the few coaches that can work with this team.  He is a vet coach who has respect of his players.  He MIGHT be able to get everyone together for the playoffs.  If not I think we should get someone else in who will push the team in a different way (and send 'sheed away)

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2010, 07:46:52 AM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336

Of course, this year -- when it's clear that the team is sharply on the decline -- he may decide to leave on a mediocre note.  If he waits until next year, I think it'll be even worse, and he may not leave on his own terms.

Quite true.

And it's possible that a different voice might slow the decline. The notion that Rivers is the entire cause behind this season's rapid falloff is ridiculous - we're old and as unathletic as any team in the league.

But a different voice might slow the slide a little bit next year.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2010, 07:49:36 AM »

Offline lon3lytoaster

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 157
  • Word aapp!
Well, he's stuck around in Boston longer than most NBA coaches and that's despite his second and third year here where we were awful. If this is his last year, it wouldn't surprise me and I think we can all say he's had a pretty good run.

Just haven't decided how I feel about it yet. (if this rumor does come to fruition.)

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2010, 08:19:22 AM »

Offline LB3533

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 315
If Danny  scraps the team and we go rebuilding mode, it's a no brainer, Doc is gone.

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2010, 08:33:56 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

Then Tom Thibs gets his shot like so many wanted lol.

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2010, 09:17:24 AM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.
Well, there will be some here who will be rejoicing over this news...

I think this franchise is in a bit of chaos right now...  But I could see Doc floating this out there to rally the troops and see if they'll fight for one last shot.

I still believe this summer will a time of transition and change...It's not working any longer.
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2010, 09:18:44 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Well, I certainly hope Doc Rivers stays.

Yes the Celtics have been up and down this year..a lot of that due to injuries, some of due to lack of effort, al little (I think) of it due to bad coaching decisions, but overall Doc is our guy I believe.

I certainly respect his thoughts about his family. That is definitely important.

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2010, 09:29:10 AM »

Online snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454
Doc would be smart to quit before he gets attached to the coaching carousel that is a rebuilding team.  He hasn't enjoyed the prolonged excellence that eventually Poppovich, Sloan and Jackson coaching immunity, so his now sterling reputation could take a big hit if the C's continue their steep decline into the next two years.

If he does go, Danny should court Larry Brown hard.  This is a perfect team for Larry to coach: it's disjointed and disorganized, but still talented.  Larry's got the presence to replace some of the leadership void that has been widening since KG lost his hold of the team. 

2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2010, 09:37:32 AM »

Offline Celts17Pride

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 11
Doc Rivers leaves the Celtics are in trouble. Doc is one of the few coaches that can keep these personalities on the team together. He has the respect of his players. Doc Rivers leaves it could get ugly real quick. Hope he stays a few more years.

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2010, 09:42:46 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2010, 09:56:21 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

Agreed, he has said this every year.  I think he genuinely wants to spend more time with his family, and the only reason he has come back was the chance to win another championship.  If he does not think they can win one next year, I really think he will step down.

« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2010, 10:57:29 AM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.
I truly believe that, behind the scenes, this season has been a headache for Doc. 

If this is the same group that comes back next season, I don't think he'll want to deal with it...they'll be older and crankier.
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."