Author Topic: Absolute proof Rondo is our MVP  (Read 5490 times)

Re: Absolute proof Rondo is our MVP
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2010, 02:29:14 PM »

Offline Jaycelt

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 7
Rondo was actually solid defensively last night. One gamble cost him the and-1, but the other gambles ended up in a missed fga. The team has to do a better job of defending the pick and roll because that's where about 30 of Rose's 39 came from.

And I thought on offense it was his job to facilitate. He has a weird situation where he has to keep the big 3 happy and get them their looks and then people go after him when he defers to them. Tough shoes to be in. I do wish he would be more aggressive in end of clock situations. He can put pressure on anybody with his dribble and speed, but seems to enjoy dribbling around the perimeter for 5 seconds and hoisting jumpers instead.

Sorry but Rondo's defense was atrocious last night.  You'd really have to be drinking the kool-aid to say anything different.  Rose was 15 of 22.  For a point guard to even get 22 shots off is proof that he's not being defended well.  To make 68% of those shots is just more proof. 

« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2010, 02:39:12 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830
Rondo was actually solid defensively last night. One gamble cost him the and-1, but the other gambles ended up in a missed fga. The team has to do a better job of defending the pick and roll because that's where about 30 of Rose's 39 came from.

And I thought on offense it was his job to facilitate. He has a weird situation where he has to keep the big 3 happy and get them their looks and then people go after him when he defers to them. Tough shoes to be in. I do wish he would be more aggressive in end of clock situations. He can put pressure on anybody with his dribble and speed, but seems to enjoy dribbling around the perimeter for 5 seconds and hoisting jumpers instead.

Sorry but Rondo's defense was atrocious last night.  You'd really have to be drinking the kool-aid to say anything different.  Rose was 15 of 22.  For a point guard to even get 22 shots off is proof that he's not being defended well.  To make 68% of those shots is just more proof. 

When i was watching the highlights on ESPN today, Legler made an interesting observation. The Bulls were running multiple picks for Rose on given plays and Rondo eventually was unable to keep up without help from the bigs. I think legs even went so far as to say " Poor Rondo". The fact that The Bulls feel the need to set a series of Picks just to get Rose open should tell you something about Rondo's defense.

« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2010, 02:50:50 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
I wont go so far to say Rondo is the MVP of the team - Pierce, followed closely by KG are still the primary offensive/defensive horses.

However I agree that Rondo has to be on, in order for this team to succeed. He's got to keep being aggressive driving to the basket, and keep setting up the teams more prolific scorers.

« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2010, 03:33:58 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
Until Rondo develops at least a consistent mid range jumpshot, he won't be able to be carry our team as some people want him too because he just can't always score when the team needs him to. 

It's painful knowing that Rondo could be a 20 ppg scorer if he could just add a jumpshot good enough to make opposing defenses respect him from outside (like Derrick Rose).  As he is, though, there are times during big games when Rondo is actually a liability on offense.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2010, 03:54:27 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Rondo is our MVP though I don't think he's our best player.  We can win games if KG or Pierce have bad nights.  It's much, much harder to win a game when Rondo has a bad night.  Basically, he's more valuable because he gives us more things that other players can't make up for.

« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2010, 04:24:29 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777

When i was watching the highlights on ESPN today, Legler made an interesting observation. The Bulls were running multiple picks for Rose on given plays and Rondo eventually was unable to keep up without help from the bigs. I think legs even went so far as to say " Poor Rondo". The fact that The Bulls feel the need to set a series of Picks just to get Rose open should tell you something about Rondo's defense.
Good points. Ever notice how Pierce doesn't get the same amount of negative comments that Rondo gets when Pierce gets lit up?

« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2010, 05:32:42 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247

Good points. Ever notice how Pierce doesn't get the same amount of negative comments that Rondo gets when Pierce gets lit up?

Good point about Pierce. The difference is that Rondo is a very good defender and has all the tools..... yet he coasts from time to time, and gambles more than he needs to. Rondo could be even better than he is. We all just want to see him reach his potential.

Pierce is actually a solid defender. He just doesn't have the physical tools that Rondo has. And at this stage of his career, it is more important for Pierce to put more of his energy into his offense. The guy can still tear it up when he uses the full arsenal.

« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2010, 05:46:21 PM »

Offline Rondo_is_better

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 495
  • R.I.P. Nate Dogg
Only in Boston is a prolific YOUNG point guard not allowed to have a dud game.

::)

Because he has only had 1 bad game the whole season, right. He is just too inconsistent and has a dud game almost every week.

With the way this team has been playing that doesn`t say much but at this point in his career I would expect him to be more consistent.

His moody personality is influencing his game way too much, If he feels good he will have a great game but if he is in a bad mood he will be terrible. It is time he overgrows this and plays with effort every time...

You have literally no proof of that. None at all. Pure conjecture is not a good thing to base an argument on.
Grab a few boards, keep the TO's under 14, close out on shooters and we'll win.

« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2010, 07:31:28 PM »

Offline Jaycelt

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 7

Most perimeter players have multiple picks set for them.  Watch how many picks Ray runs through.  The major difference being Ray doesn't usually have the ball.  Defending a guy like Ray is even harder because of the attention everyone pays to the guy with the ball.  The thing with Rondo, I keep saying, is that he gives up on plays defensively whereas if you watch closely the other guys on the team don't.  They will switch or they will recover.  Rondo runs into a pick and just stands there helping no one.  The other thing is it wasn't like Rose was taking a ton of outside shots, like Hinrich.  He was pretty much getting to the basket or close to it (witness his 10 free throws). Our defense is built on keeping guys out of the paint and then running at outside shooters.  That's why I'm never surprised or as angry to see a perimeter player get hot from the outside.  That's what we give up with our team defense.  But we should never have a guy getting layup after layup.

« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2010, 07:39:20 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428

Most perimeter players have multiple picks set for them.  Watch how many picks Ray runs through.  The major difference being Ray doesn't usually have the ball.  Defending a guy like Ray is even harder because of the attention everyone pays to the guy with the ball.  The thing with Rondo, I keep saying, is that he gives up on plays defensively whereas if you watch closely the other guys on the team don't.  They will switch or they will recover.  Rondo runs into a pick and just stands there helping no one.  The other thing is it wasn't like Rose was taking a ton of outside shots, like Hinrich.  He was pretty much getting to the basket or close to it (witness his 10 free throws). Our defense is built on keeping guys out of the paint and then running at outside shooters.  That's why I'm never surprised or as angry to see a perimeter player get hot from the outside.  That's what we give up with our team defense.  But we should never have a guy getting layup after layup.
I've always thought that our defense was built to funnel guys into pressure, switches etc.  Our defense (to me) appears to be a great thing when everyone on court is doing there job, switching, talking, call out picks but if someone breaks down its ugly.  PP is not a great defender but he does a great team defense job of staying with his man pushing him towards "defensive lanes" ie help.

« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2010, 02:20:20 AM »

Offline Q_FBE

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 243
We need to blow this friggen pig up. Rondo, Perkins, and Pierce are probably our only tradeable assets. Sign and Trade Ray Allen (along with that priceless piece of puke Rasheed Wallace) for cap fillers and draft picks.

Sorry, the wheel needs to be reinvented here, Danny Boy.

The beatings will continue until morale improves

« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2010, 05:15:40 AM »

Offline thebirdman

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 31

You have literally no proof of that. None at all. Pure conjecture is not a good thing to base an argument on.

Well, I am watching games. And there have been a few articles about Rondo˙s poor demeanor on the court how it affects not only him but also his teammates. He has a difficult personality, which in itself isn`t a problem, unless it comes out on the court and with him it does...

« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2010, 05:23:18 AM »

Kiorrik

Rondo is the reason I became a Celtic fan.

To me, he's been the MVP since he's been with us.

« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2010, 07:45:25 AM »

Offline rav123

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 48

True, that is a tough position. But he is getting paid $11 Million to figure it out  ;D

I wont go so far to say Rondo is the MVP of the team - Pierce, followed closely by KG are still the primary offensive/defensive horses.

However I agree that Rondo has to be on, in order for this team to succeed. He's got to keep being aggressive driving to the basket, and keep setting up the teams more prolific scorers.

Personally, I would equate that to being the MVP. We can win games where one or two of the big three is not "on", but we don't win games where Rondo is not "on".

Rondo is our MVP though I don't think he's our best player.  We can win games if KG or Pierce have bad nights.  It's much, much harder to win a game when Rondo has a bad night. Basically, he's more valuable because he gives us more things that other players can't make up for.

Exactly  :)