Author Topic: Rondo will never be able to shoot  (Read 6915 times)

Re: Rondo will never be able to shoot
« Reply #30 on: April 14, 2010, 12:49:37 AM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
He he starts to shoot them more in games to build a rhythm and some confidence I believe he would start shooting better. The way the offense he only shoots a couple a game. If it comes within the flow of the offense I have no problem with him shooting more.
He really needs to play some really high level pickup in the offseason where he only plays SG and does constant catch and shoot from the spots where he is most likely to camp out in C's games.

« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2010, 12:54:56 AM »

Offline vinnie

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 429
Someone's frustratedddd......

Ditto.
This is knee-jerk reaction thread if I've ever seen one... Will Rondo be able to develop a more consistent jumpshot in his career? I don't know, but its definitely possible & it's a bit much to say "NEVER". I do think if people are expecting him to become Ray Allen good, they need to curb their expectations.

Rondo's shooting has improved quite a bit this season alone. I don't see a reason why he can't continue to improve.

Rondo's free throw shooting has improved. His jump shooting has stayed the same or gotten worse.

« Reply #32 on: April 14, 2010, 12:59:37 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I'm not going to write him off as being unable to be a consistent jump shooter in the future just yet. I mean, he just turned 24. By the time his next contract is done, I expect him to be a fairly consistent outside shooter and a 75% FT shooter.

Just think the kid is too good and too prideful not to improve.

« Reply #33 on: April 14, 2010, 01:00:31 AM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders

Ditto.
This is knee-jerk reaction thread if I've ever seen one... Will Rondo be able to develop a more consistent jumpshot in his career? I don't know, but its definitely possible & it's a bit much to say "NEVER". I do think if people are expecting him to become Ray Allen good, they need to curb their expectations.

Rondo's shooting has improved quite a bit this season alone. I don't see a reason why he can't continue to improve.

Rondo's free throw shooting has improved. His jump shooting has stayed the same or gotten worse.
I actually liked his baseline jumper better in 2008. That was a nice shot for much of the season. But in 2008, the ball wasn't in his hands as much.

« Reply #34 on: April 14, 2010, 01:02:14 AM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
I'm not going to write him off as being unable to be a consistent jump shooter in the future just yet. I mean, he just turned 24. By the time his next contract is done, I expect him to be a fairly consistent outside shooter and a 75% FT shooter.

Just think the kid is too good and too prideful not to improve.
I bet there are people on this forum who developed a consistent in-game jumper after turning 25.

« Reply #35 on: April 14, 2010, 01:05:41 AM »

Offline Mizzy21390

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 16
PosImpos said it Maybe, maybe not. Its just sad 4years and he still can't shoot. D-Rose worked on it 1summer and his mid-j is legit now. Maybe he should just ditch that form. Tweaking it hasn't worked. Scratch that ish. And start brand new. I Still got faith in Rondo & his work ethic. He'll fix it soon.

The one thing people tend to forget is that Rondo works on his shooting during practices, and CAN shoot. He's doing a very much better job at taking shots and making them in, compared to last season and even the championship season.

The only reason that he still hasn't mastered a rhythm with shooting is because UNLIKE DRose, RR has so many other options. He's a past first PG, and has KG, PP, Ray before he shoots. He's the fourth option, so working on his shot is not a MAIN #1 priority as it may be for Rose.

I don't know. I am a RR fan, so this statement hurts, but even if I wasn't I'd be the first one to say that this post doesn't make sense. Unless someone knows the future of a NBA player and how they'd approve. Seems a little dramatic to me...

No offense..
Yeeeaaaa!!!

« Reply #36 on: April 14, 2010, 01:14:24 AM »

Offline Trifecta

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 43
  • #18 at any cost.

Ditto.

I actually liked his baseline jumper better in 2008. That was a nice shot for much of the season. But in 2008, the ball wasn't in his hands as much.

That's exactly what I've been thinking the whole season. I remember that baseline jumper in 2008, thought he was only gonna get better from there as far as confidence goes.
KO and Zeller, aka Hopeless and Helpless aka the Twin Towers of Futility.

« Reply #37 on: April 14, 2010, 01:21:57 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
He can already shoot ... anyone who can almost beat Durant in a game of HORSE has proven that. The question is, when will he get the confidence to shoot a high percentage during game time? I believe that time is coming soon.
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #38 on: April 14, 2010, 09:59:01 AM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
I used to worry about my jumper but I worked really hard at it and have gotten to the point where I can shoot jump-shots with alot of consistency now, with either hand. I think the key for Rondo is to just practice over and over again and not get discouraged when he misses.

A quick exercise to improve your accuracy is to start right under the basket using the arc in the key and pretending like it's either the college 3-pt line or the NBA 3-pt line. If you can make sure your shooting motion is as smooth and accurate as possible close to the basket where you are exerting much less energy and the ball has less distance to travel you can experience quick results and improve your confidence from farther away from the basket.

Even if Rondo will never be able to shoot like Ray and Paul he should still be able to make some of the easier jump-shots; there will obviously be a point in his career where he can't rely on scoring all of his points off of lay-ups and free throws.

I get the feeling Rondo does all sorts of drills and can even shoot the lights out when doing drills - but not when in the flow of a game.

What people like the original poster don't get is that shooting after running as fast and hard as he does is much more difficult than shooting around in an empty gym.

I also have to question anyone who calls a prediction about the future a "fact" like the OP did. That is just Internet nonsense talk. Don't fool yourself. You are guessing.

And FYI, no one is born with the ability to shoot jumpers.
What does the fact that Rondo can shoot in practice have to do with anything?  I realize shooting in a game is more difficult than in practice.  My point is that many other can do it and Rondo can't and won't.

And my 'fact' statement was an exaggeration to make a point.  But if you mean it is a blind guess, it isn't.  My statement is based on my observations and from other understanding I have about how skills are developed. 

I'll make another one for you.  The Celts, as currently constructed, have NO chance of winning a title beyond this year.  It is a based on my observations and I am willing to bet I am right.

And in your last statement, I you trying to say that everyone who has ever played basketball comes in as a blank slate?  Seriously?  Um, no.  Shooting, like most any other skill has a genetic quality.  Some are naturally better than others.  Of course, practice also plays a large role.  Do you deny that?  I hope not.
You need to read up on genetics to understand what it actually affects. What genetic trait do you think Rondo lacks that is specifically related to shooting and not to his other athletic abilities like precise passing? In particular, how is this related to his inaccuracy in the flow of a game, though he seems quite accurate when shooting around without defense?

As I correctly said, no one is born able to shoot. But people do have variation in genetic predispositions for various abilities. Going from genotype to phenotype is very complicated and unpredictable on an individual basis. For someone with Rondo's abnormally high level of hand eye coordination, I am curious what gene you think he is lacking that is needed to be a decent shooter. Are you saying genetics gave him a bone structure that is bad for shooting?

You say "Shooting, like most any other skill has a genetic quality," but where is the evidence for a shooting gene that does not play a role in the other skills that Rondo excels at? Do you have a link to a peer reviewed paper discussing this?

Instead of proclaiming over the top generalizations, why not talk sensibly. Didn't you notice ESPN canned Stephen A Smith? I might agree with you if you said that it is likely that Rondo is past a critical period needed to develop the ability to shoot. There could be limitations in his coordination that are fossilized.

The likely explanation for much of this is that we underestimate how good NBA players are at shooting because we compare their game performance to our shooting around alone in a gym performance. We see some of the best shooters on earth like Ray Allen on the same court as guys who we shouldn't be comparing to them, like Rondo.

I too consider it highly unlikely that Rondo will ever reach the level of average NBA shooter, especially if we exclude the big guys who never shoot from outside. Of course, this is not a fact, but there is little reason at this point to have high expectations. Of course, this does not mean that he cannot find a spot on the floor where he is effective at shooting jumpers, like Kidd has done from 3.
As I indicated initially, perhaps genetic is the wrong word.  And I am not going to quoting any papers. 

But I don't think there is any question that some people are naturally better at certain skills than others.  For example, Rondo is naturally better at most (if not all) skills needed to play basketball.  It isn't just that he worked at it more.  And it wouldn't have mattered how long I practiced, I would never have been good enough to play in the NBA.

My point is simple.  Shooting is also a skill that some people are naturally better at than others.  And I am speculating yes, but it would seem to me that shooting is something that was more difficult Rondo that it was for many others.

« Reply #39 on: April 14, 2010, 07:17:35 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
I think it is time to officially close this topic for discussion.  I have been saying this since he came in the league.  Fact:  Rondo will never be even an average shooter.  He has no chance of mastering a stand up 15 footer or a 3-point shot.

id like to know the next lottery #s so i know what ones to play ;)

« Reply #40 on: April 14, 2010, 07:30:58 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
He can already shoot ... anyone who can almost beat Durant in a game of HORSE has proven that. The question is, when will he get the confidence to shoot a high percentage during game time? I believe that time is coming soon.
agreed, when 2 out of the big 3 is gone and rondo is a top priority on offense things will change
it is amazing how this youngster still will distribute the ball to the guys and let his own offense ppg suffer in the current nba stats first
not that many pg do that nowadays, too many pg are jump shooting scorers who will never be upper tiers pgs