Author Topic: Rondo will never be able to shoot  (Read 6916 times)

Re: Rondo will never be able to shoot
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2010, 11:35:57 PM »

Offline Witch-King

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 143
  • "Just do what you do best" - Red Auerbach
I used to worry about my jumper but I worked really hard at it and have gotten to the point where I can shoot jump-shots with alot of consistency now, with either hand. I think the key for Rondo is to just practice over and over again and not get discouraged when he misses.

A quick exercise to improve your accuracy is to start right under the basket using the arc in the key and pretending like it's either the college 3-pt line or the NBA 3-pt line. If you can make sure your shooting motion is as smooth and accurate as possible close to the basket where you are exerting much less energy and the ball has less distance to travel you can experience quick results and improve your confidence from farther away from the basket.

Even if Rondo will never be able to shoot like Ray and Paul he should still be able to make some of the easier jump-shots; there will obviously be a point in his career where he can't rely on scoring all of his points off of lay-ups and free throws.

I get the feeling Rondo does all sorts of drills and can even shoot the lights out when doing drills - but not when in the flow of a game.

What people like the original poster don't get is that shooting after running as fast and hard as he does is much more difficult than shooting around in an empty gym.

I also have to question anyone who calls a prediction about the future a "fact" like the OP did. That is just Internet nonsense talk. Don't fool yourself. You are guessing.

And FYI, no one is born with the ability to shoot jumpers.

Just watch any highlight video of Allen Iverson - the guy has made some of the most the most difficult jumpers, not because of where he was shooting from but because he was often shooting off the dribble, in traffic, or over someone who is oftentimes taller than he is. Not to mention the fact that he was clocking 40+ minutes for the majority of his younger years. Even with all of that Iverson was notorious for shooting a relatively low percentage from the field (low .400's) though when he is given less minutes and touches he naturally shoots better and picks better spots to shoot from.

Steve Nash is another example of a pg type player who is high energy yet can still score in droves and you can't tell me that  Nash was magically born with the ability to shoot like that. Rondo still has the advantage of being relatively young in his career.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5u48FyhZ8RM
« Last Edit: April 13, 2010, 11:45:08 PM by Witch-King »
~W. King of Angmar/Dark Lord Sauron, "Sore-on", "Score-on", "Slore-on"/"W. King", "D. Lord" (Wins, Defense)/"W-itch King" (haha), All I do is win, and Cincy - TayoFromOhio 😄

« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2010, 11:41:15 PM »

Offline Rondo_is_better

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 495
  • R.I.P. Nate Dogg
Someone's frustratedddd......
Grab a few boards, keep the TO's under 14, close out on shooters and we'll win.

« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2010, 11:42:29 PM »

Offline Jaycelt

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 7
  I'm much more concerned with his half-hearted attempts at defense.  Sure, steals are great but actually playing defense on your man would be even more swell.  It's frustrating as hell watching Rondo give up and stop playing every time he see's a pick or his man gets picked up by someone else on a switch.
His team defense when not playing the passing lanes or leaving his man to go for a steal is pathetic and I don't care how many all defense teams he gets named to.

« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2010, 11:45:17 PM »

Offline pengaloo

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 76
Rondo will end up a career 70% free throw shooter which is good enough.

His other strengths compensate for his weaknesses, but if he ever develops a rhythm 15-footer he'll be unstoppable.

Rondo is still one of the best PGs in the league and is molded perfectly for our style of play.
Is Rondo really molded perfectly for our style of play? I think there are some chemistry issues. He plays best when he's running in the open court (but we have no one who can run with him), when he has players who can dunk after catching passes in the paint in half court sets (but we have bigs who either can't jump, or can't put the ball up without getting blocked or turning it over). He plays best when we don't need to rely on him making free throws (but he's really the only guy other than Pierce who can penetrate at will), when he has plays and picks set for him (but we rarely run anything for Rondo because we're always trying to get one of the big three going by running plays for them).

« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2010, 11:47:29 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
Rondo will end up a career 70% free throw shooter which is good enough.

His other strengths compensate for his weaknesses, but if he ever develops a rhythm 15-footer he'll be unstoppable.

Rondo is still one of the best PGs in the league and is molded perfectly for our style of play.
Is Rondo really molded perfectly for our style of play? I think there are some chemistry issues. He plays best when he's running in the open court (but we have no one who can run with him), when he has players who can dunk after catching passes in the paint in half court sets (but we have bigs who either can't jump, or can't put the ball up without getting blocked or turning it over). He plays best when we don't need to rely on him making free throws (but he's really the only guy other than Pierce who can penetrate at will), when he has plays and picks set for him (but we rarely run anything for Rondo because we're always trying to get one of the big three going by running plays for them).

Yeah, we're at a crossroads in styles here. The big 3 and Perk and Sheed thrive in the half court.

Rondo and Tony Allen are at their most effective when they can run.

« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2010, 11:53:07 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
When Gary Payton, Jason Kidd and Tony Parker entered the NBA, they didn't have much of an outside game. Within 5 years they became dangerous scorers for their team with either a respectable 3 point shot or a mid range game.

I feel like that is a fair goal for Rondo's offense. If he can follow in that path then he will truly be a great point guard. Rondo enters year 5 next season.

At some point you have to call a player what he is. I hope a year from now Rondo's got a decent shot...

If he can't so be it. He will remain a fringe all star, and hopefully at least elevate his free throw percentage.

« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2010, 11:57:12 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
When Gary Payton, Jason Kidd and Tony Parker entered the NBA, they didn't have much of an outside game. Within 5 years they became dangerous scorers for their team with either a respectable 3 point shot or a mid range game.

I feel like that is a fair goal for Rondo's offense. If he can follow in that path then he will truly be a great point guard. Rondo enters year 5 next season.

At some point you have to call a player what he is. I hope a year from now Rondo's got a decent shot...

If he can't so be it. He will remain a fringe all star, and hopefully at least elevate his free throw percentage.

Did any of those players have Rondo's huge hands or awkward shooting form?
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2010, 11:59:06 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
I used to worry about my jumper but I worked really hard at it and have gotten to the point where I can shoot jump-shots with alot of consistency now, with either hand. I think the key for Rondo is to just practice over and over again and not get discouraged when he misses.

A quick exercise to improve your accuracy is to start right under the basket using the arc in the key and pretending like it's either the college 3-pt line or the NBA 3-pt line. If you can make sure your shooting motion is as smooth and accurate as possible close to the basket where you are exerting much less energy and the ball has less distance to travel you can experience quick results and improve your confidence from farther away from the basket.

Even if Rondo will never be able to shoot like Ray and Paul he should still be able to make some of the easier jump-shots; there will obviously be a point in his career where he can't rely on scoring all of his points off of lay-ups and free throws.

I get the feeling Rondo does all sorts of drills and can even shoot the lights out when doing drills - but not when in the flow of a game.

What people like the original poster don't get is that shooting after running as fast and hard as he does is much more difficult than shooting around in an empty gym.

I also have to question anyone who calls a prediction about the future a "fact" like the OP did. That is just Internet nonsense talk. Don't fool yourself. You are guessing.

What does the fact that Rondo can shoot in practice have to do with anything?  I realize shooting in a game is more difficult than in practice.  My point is that many other can do it and Rondo can't and won't.

And my 'fact' statement was an exaggeration to make a point.  But if you mean it is a blind guess, it isn't.  My statement is based on my observations and from other understanding I have about how skills are developed. 

I'll make another one for you.  The Celts, as currently constructed, have NO chance of winning a title beyond this year.  It is a based on my observations and I am willing to bet I am right.

And in your last statement, I you trying to say that everyone who has ever played basketball comes in as a blank slate?  Seriously?  Um, no.  Shooting, like most any other skill has a genetic quality.  Some are naturally better than others.  Of course, practice also plays a large role.  Do you deny that?  I hope not.

« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2010, 12:00:13 AM »

Online RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1409
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Someone's frustratedddd......

Ditto.
This is knee-jerk reaction thread if I've ever seen one... Will Rondo be able to develop a more consistent jumpshot in his career? I don't know, but its definitely possible & it's a bit much to say "NEVER". I do think if people are expecting him to become Ray Allen good, they need to curb their expectations.

Rondo's shooting has improved quite a bit this season alone. I don't see a reason why he can't continue to improve.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2010, 12:01:59 AM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
Rondo will never be able to shoot

I disagree with every alphabet in that post....He can certainly improve with practice and hardwork....everything can be remedied when you put in time and effort to rectify the flaws in your game.
I didn't say he couldn't improve. I just meant that his ceiling is "below average".

The title says "never"...that to me means just that...not ever.
I clarified that Rondo's ceiling is "below average".  To me, below average = can't shoot.  So yes, I stand by my original point that Rondo will never be able to shoot. 

You indicated that I said Rondo could not improve.  I didn't say that.  I just don't think he can improve enough to him to get in the "can shoot" category.

« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2010, 12:02:15 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2407
I expect Rondo to continue gradually improving his jump shot and to become a serviceable jump shooter down the road.

I'm not sure if it ever becomes more than that though, I think that is a major unknown.

« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2010, 12:08:24 AM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
For the record, this isn't intended as a bash Rondo thread.  And it isn't a knee jerk reaction thread.  I have only stated this opinion on each and every thread related to Rondo's shooting. I also stated in my original post that I don't blame Rondo. 

I don't blame him for not being able to shoot any more than I blame Perk for not being able to consistently lead a fast break.  I just don't think these skills are in those guys.

« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2010, 12:37:20 AM »

Offline jpd985

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 41
He he starts to shoot them more in games to build a rhythm and some confidence I believe he would start shooting better. The way the offense he only shoots a couple a game. If it comes within the flow of the offense I have no problem with him shooting more.

« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2010, 12:43:37 AM »

Offline Tai

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 32
Rondo put up jumpshots tonight that I couldn't imagine him doing last year. I mean, you almost knew there was no way he'd put them up.

It's clear to me, more or less, that he's trying at this point. I'm not sure anymore can be asked of him, outside of practice that we can only assume he's not already getting, if you know what I mean...

« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2010, 12:47:03 AM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777

What does the fact that Rondo can shoot in practice have to do with anything?  I realize shooting in a game is more difficult than in practice.  My point is that many other can do it and Rondo can't and won't.

And my 'fact' statement was an exaggeration to make a point.  But if you mean it is a blind guess, it isn't.  My statement is based on my observations and from other understanding I have about how skills are developed. 

I'll make another one for you.  The Celts, as currently constructed, have NO chance of winning a title beyond this year.  It is a based on my observations and I am willing to bet I am right.

And in your last statement, I you trying to say that everyone who has ever played basketball comes in as a blank slate?  Seriously?  Um, no.  Shooting, like most any other skill has a genetic quality.  Some are naturally better than others.  Of course, practice also plays a large role.  Do you deny that?  I hope not.
You need to read up on genetics to understand what it actually affects. What genetic trait do you think Rondo lacks that is specifically related to shooting and not to his other athletic abilities like precise passing? In particular, how is this related to his inaccuracy in the flow of a game, though he seems quite accurate when shooting around without defense?

As I correctly said, no one is born able to shoot. But people do have variation in genetic predispositions for various abilities. Going from genotype to phenotype is very complicated and unpredictable on an individual basis. For someone with Rondo's abnormally high level of hand eye coordination, I am curious what gene you think he is lacking that is needed to be a decent shooter. Are you saying genetics gave him a bone structure that is bad for shooting?

You say "Shooting, like most any other skill has a genetic quality," but where is the evidence for a shooting gene that does not play a role in the other skills that Rondo excels at? Do you have a link to a peer reviewed paper discussing this?

Instead of proclaiming over the top generalizations, why not talk sensibly. Didn't you notice ESPN canned Stephen A Smith? I might agree with you if you said that it is likely that Rondo is past a critical period needed to develop the ability to shoot. There could be limitations in his coordination that are fossilized.

The likely explanation for much of this is that we underestimate how good NBA players are at shooting because we compare their game performance to our shooting around alone in a gym performance. We see some of the best shooters on earth like Ray Allen on the same court as guys who we shouldn't be comparing to them, like Rondo.

I too consider it highly unlikely that Rondo will ever reach the level of average NBA shooter, especially if we exclude the big guys who never shoot from outside. Of course, this is not a fact, but there is little reason at this point to have high expectations. Of course, this does not mean that he cannot find a spot on the floor where he is effective at shooting jumpers, like Kidd has done from 3.