Author Topic: Rondo will never be able to shoot  (Read 6917 times)

Rondo will never be able to shoot
« on: April 13, 2010, 10:45:25 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
I think it is time to officially close this topic for discussion.  I have been saying this since he came in the league.  Fact:  Rondo will never be even an average shooter.  He has no chance of mastering a stand up 15 footer or a 3-point shot.

And I'm not really blaming Rondo either.  It isn't work ethic or lack of want.  People just have no idea how broken Rondo's jump shot was at Kentucky.  It was seriously Ben Wallace bad.  And when you have that far to go, then it ain't going to get that much better.  And this is also part of the problem.  Rondo did not develop the basics early on so trying to do it now makes it twice as hard.

Shooting, like everything other ability is part development (i.e., practice) and part genetic (or whatever the right word is?).  And for some reason, Rondo wasn't born  with the ability to become a good shooter.  And that is why someone like him could play basketball most of his life and yet not shoot. 

Rondo is a unique player.  And very good player.  But this is always going to be a problem for him.

Re: Rondo will never be able to shoot
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2010, 10:49:37 PM »

Offline MaxwellSmart86

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 144
I think it is time to officially close this topic for discussion.  I have been saying this since he came in the league.  Fact:  Rondo will never be even an average shooter.  He has no chance of mastering a stand up 15 footer or a 3-point shot.

And I'm not really blaming Rondo either.  It isn't work ethic or lack of want.  People just have no idea how broken Rondo's jump shot was at Kentucky.  It was seriously Ben Wallace bad.  And when you have that far to go, then it ain't going to get that much better.  And this is also part of the problem.  Rondo did not develop the basics early on so trying to do it now makes it twice as hard.

Shooting, like everything other ability is part development (i.e., practice) and part genetic (or whatever the right word is?).  And for some reason, Rondo wasn't born  with the ability to become a good shooter.  And that is why someone like him could play basketball most of his life and yet not shoot. 

Rondo is a unique player.  And very good player.  But this is always going to be a problem for him.

It's REALLY Pathetic---and it's KILLING our Offense.

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2010, 10:49:48 PM »

Offline barefacedmonk

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1796
  • The Dude Abides

I disagree with every alphabet in that post....He can certainly improve with practice and hardwork....everything can be remedied when you put in time and effort to rectify the flaws in your game.
"An ounce of practice is worth more than tons of preaching." - M.K. Gandhi

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2010, 10:55:22 PM »

Offline bello_man09

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 249
  • "Celtic for life" REBUILD OR TANK
what is scary is that he can't make wide open shots...he makes it look so hard..but i kinda agree with u..if it ben wallace bad in College then he has a long way to go...I just feel its his from...its has no flow to it.

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2010, 10:55:44 PM »

Offline pengaloo

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 76
How do you explain Rondo shooting lights out in HORSE during all-star weekend? It's not like he can't shoot. He has his whole career in front of him and he won't always be the #4 option. Officially closing the door on this discussion is premature.

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2010, 11:03:42 PM »

Offline vinnie

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 429
I am not sure if he will never be able to shoot, but he certainly cannot shoot now. No one is going to guard him closely in the playoffs -- no one.

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2010, 11:06:57 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
Maybe, maybe not.

But he'll never be anything more than a fringe All-Star in this league if he can't develop a decent jumpshot.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2010, 11:07:06 PM »

Offline Witch-King

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 143
  • "Just do what you do best" - Red Auerbach
I used to worry about my jumper but I worked really hard at it and have gotten to the point where I can shoot jump-shots with alot of consistency now, with either hand. I think the key for Rondo is to just practice over and over again and not get discouraged when he misses.

A quick exercise to improve your accuracy is to start right under the basket using the arc in the key and pretend like it's either the college 3-pt line or the NBA 3-pt line. If you can make sure your shooting motion is as smooth and accurate as possible close to the basket where you are exerting much less energy and the ball has less distance to travel you can experience quick results and improve your confidence from farther away from the basket.

Even if Rondo will never be able to shoot like Ray and Paul he should still be able to make some of the easier jump-shots; there will obviously be a point in his career where he can't rely on scoring all of his points off of lay-ups and free throws.

~W. King of Angmar/Dark Lord Sauron, "Sore-on", "Score-on", "Slore-on"/"W. King", "D. Lord" (Wins, Defense)/"W-itch King" (haha), All I do is win, and Cincy - TayoFromOhio 😄

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2010, 11:16:37 PM »

Offline FatjohnReturns

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 120
you forgot never be able to defend also. Every point guard has huge games vs us.

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2010, 11:17:06 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
I used to worry about my jumper but I worked really hard at it and have gotten to the point where I can shoot jump-shots with alot of consistency now, with either hand. I think the key for Rondo is to just practice over and over again and not get discouraged when he misses.

A quick exercise to improve your accuracy is to start right under the basket using the arc in the key and pretending like it's either the college 3-pt line or the NBA 3-pt line. If you can make sure your shooting motion is as smooth and accurate as possible close to the basket where you are exerting much less energy and the ball has less distance to travel you can experience quick results and improve your confidence from farther away from the basket.

Even if Rondo will never be able to shoot like Ray and Paul he should still be able to make some of the easier jump-shots; there will obviously be a point in his career where he can't rely on scoring all of his points off of lay-ups and free throws.

I get the feeling Rondo does all sorts of drills and can even shoot the lights out when doing drills - but not when in the flow of a game.

What people like the original poster don't get is that shooting after running as fast and hard as he does is much more difficult than shooting around in an empty gym.

I also have to question anyone who calls a prediction about the future a "fact" like the OP did. That is just Internet nonsense talk. Don't fool yourself. You are guessing.

And FYI, no one is born with the ability to shoot jumpers.

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2010, 11:21:07 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466

I disagree with every alphabet in that post....He can certainly improve with practice and hardwork....everything can be remedied when you put in time and effort to rectify the flaws in your game.
I didn't say he couldn't improve. I just meant that his ceiling is "below average". Right now, Rondo is at "bad".

There are a lot of things in life that need to be developed early for them to be truly mastered at the highest level. And I am talking about developing the building blocks, not mastering them at an early age.  The later that one tries to develop the basics, the more it takes to master the skill.

This is what separates Rondo from most any other guard that couldn't shoot. Players like Jason Kidd and Magic were not very consistent when they came in the league.  But the had the basics and they needed repetition.

For Rondo, it has been building his shot from scratch. And frankly, I think it is realistically too late. 

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2010, 11:23:42 PM »

Offline Change

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 544
PosImpos said it Maybe, maybe not. Its just sad 4years and he still can't shoot. D-Rose worked on it 1summer and his mid-j is legit now. Maybe he should just ditch that form. Tweaking it hasn't worked. Scratch that ish. And start brand new. I Still got faith in Rondo & his work ethic. He'll fix it soon.

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2010, 11:25:53 PM »

Offline barefacedmonk

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1796
  • The Dude Abides

I didn't say he couldn't improve. I just meant that his ceiling is "below average".

The title says "never"...that to me means just that...not ever.
"An ounce of practice is worth more than tons of preaching." - M.K. Gandhi

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2010, 11:30:58 PM »

Offline GranTur

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 68
  • Anti-NBA Hipster
Rondo will end up a career 70% free throw shooter which is good enough.

His other strengths compensate for his weaknesses, but if he ever develops a rhythm 15-footer he'll be unstoppable.

Rondo is still one of the best PGs in the league and is molded perfectly for our style of play.
"It's not how you play the game. It's whether you win or lose--that's my motto." -Larry Bird

« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2010, 11:34:59 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777

I didn't say he couldn't improve. I just meant that his ceiling is "below average". Right now, Rondo is at "bad".

The problem is that you are believing your hyperbole. Ceiling = best case scenario. We will never know that for his jumper.

If Rondo decided to stop practicing anything but his jumper and concentrated on shooting during games, he would develop much faster. We will never know what his ceiling would have been because he will always be playing PG and passing first.

Personally, I don't think Rondo will ever be an above average jump shooter for a guard. I think the odds are that he will remain below average for his entire career, like Kidd. But Kidd managed to develop a niche 3, which is probably going to help extend Kidd's career. Likewise, it is not a problem if Rondo is below average. So long as he has a spot where he can hit when open.