Author Topic: Celtics add Tony Gafney and Oliver Lafayette to their roster  (Read 11327 times)

Celtics add Tony Gafney and Oliver Lafayette to their roster
« on: April 13, 2010, 09:37:46 AM »

Offline Celts17Pride

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 11
http://www.wggb.com/Global/story.asp?S=12299603

BOSTON, Mass (abc40) - Former UMass forward Tony Gaffney has signed with the Boston Celtics. The team will make the announcement official Tuesday at noon. Gaffney confirmed the details to abc40 via text message early Tuesday morning.

The Celtics are on the road Tuesday night in Chicago taking on Vinny Del Negro and the Bulls. Gaffney may catch a flight to Chicago and dress for the game.

Gaffney was originally invited to join the team's summer camp in Orlando but has recently agreed to join the team with two games remaining in the regular season and likely the postseason.

The Celtics waived rookie forward Marcus Landry last week and the Gaffney signing brings the Celtics to 14 active players on the roster.

In Gaffney's senior season for the Minutemen he averaged 11.5 points, 10.2 rebounds, and 3.8 blocks (3rd in the nation).

http://www.masslive.com/mywideworld/ind ... esday.html

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Ton ... 525/stats/

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/draft/players/1144947

http://insider.espn.go.com/nbadraft/dra ... Id%3d19431

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Gaffney
« Last Edit: April 13, 2010, 11:46:36 AM by Roy Hobbs »

Celtics Sign Tony Gaffney
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2010, 09:37:59 AM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11845
  • Marcus Smart Fan!

According to Fox 6, Former UMass forward Tony Gaffney has signed with the Boston Celtics. The team will make the announcement official Tuesday at noon. He may join the team in Chicago for tonight's game. Gaffney was originally invited to join the team's summer camp in Orlando. He most recently played in the Laker's training camp and was their final cut before the season. He has been playing in Israel but left the team with a foot injury. He has agreed to sign with the Celtics for their final 2 games and the playoff run.

Re: Celtics add Tony Gafney to roster
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2010, 09:41:20 AM »

Offline jdpapa3

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 85
Might as well start printing that banner up now!

But seriously, I read yesterday that there were some playoff teams that offered a deal to Earl Barron and he turned them down to sign a new 10 day deal with the Knicks. I bet the Celtics were inquiring about the Barron.

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2010, 09:47:21 AM »

Offline misha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 1488
  • Open your eyes
In a few games I saw him in Israel, he wasn't anything special (maybe because of the injury). He was released in December and not played basketball on a professional level since then.
The Immortals:

Iker Casillas, Giacinto Facchetti, Alessandro Nesta, Matthias Sammer, Javier Zanetti, Lothar Matthäus (c), Xavi, Zico, Maradona, Roberto Baggio, Ferenc Puskas, Karl Heinz Rummenigge

Coach:Rinus Michels

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2010, 09:53:26 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
It sounds like the C's will be resting some guys over the next two nights.  Might as well fill out the bench with a guy like this.  I have never seen him play, but he sounds like an interesting prospect.  He is probably someone they were interested in bringing in over for a look over the summer anyways, and decided to take an early look.  

Re: Celtics Sign Tony Gaffney
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2010, 10:00:03 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

According to Fox 6, Former UMass forward Tony Gaffney has signed with the Boston Celtics. The team will make the announcement official Tuesday at noon. He may join the team in Chicago for tonight's game. Gaffney was originally invited to join the team's summer camp in Orlando. He most recently played in the Laker's training camp and was their final cut before the season. He has been playing in Israel but left the team with a foot injury. He has agreed to sign with the Celtics for their final 2 games and the playoff run.

Wait, he can't play during the playoffs, right?  It's gotta be too late for that. 

Never heard of the guy one way or another, but I'm guessing this means not much Paul/KG these next 2 days.

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2010, 10:01:54 AM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 540
It sounds like the C's will be resting some guys over the next two nights.  Might as well fill out the bench with a guy like this.  I have never seen him play, but he sounds like an interesting prospect.  He is probably someone they were interested in bringing in over for a look over the summer anyways, and decided to take an early look.  
I liked him at U. Mass but never considered him an NBA prospect. He can block shots, I know that....not much of an offensive game.  But he definitely hustles - unlike a few guys on the current roster.

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2010, 10:03:13 AM »

Offline vinnie

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 429
Tony was the heart and soul of the UMass team his senior year and nearly carried them to the NIT championship. He works harder than any player I have ever watched and was the last guy cut by the Lakers. His game improved tremendously while at UMass. If you need a 4th/5th big, I would not count Tony out, and as a UMass alum, I am excited to see the Celtics sign him.

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2010, 10:03:22 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale

Wait, he can't play during the playoffs, right?  It's gotta be too late for that. 

Never heard of the guy one way or another, but I'm guessing this means not much Paul/KG these next 2 days.

Since he was a free agent, and never had a contract with any NBA team this season, I believe he in eligible for the playoffs.  Only players who were waived after March 1 are ineligible, I believe.

It's like in the case of Bison Dele, who was signed by the Bulls nine games before the end of the regular season and became a playoff contributor.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2010, 10:04:17 AM »

Offline jgod213

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 300
Wonder if Gaffney has aquired an NBA body yet.  What is he about 125lbs soaking wet?

DKC Utah Jazz
http://tinyurl.com/kqjb3cv

Starters:   Bledsoe-Gordon-Hayward-Patterson-Favors  | 6th-Kanter
Reserves: Warren-Hardaway-Plumlee-Larkin-Evans-Mbakwe-Huestis-Hummel-Calathes

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2010, 10:06:15 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

Since he was a free agent, and never had a contract with any NBA team this season, I believe he in eligible for the playoffs.  Only players who were waived after March 1 are ineligible, I believe.

It's like in the case of Bison Dele, who was signed by the Bulls nine games before the end of the regular season and became a playoff contributor.

Gotcha - I remember Dele doing that now that you mention it.  THE MISSING PIECE IS HERE!!!

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2010, 10:06:41 AM »

Offline vinnie

• Don Nelson
Wonder if Gaffney has aquired an NBA body yet.  What is he about 125lbs soaking wet?

Obviously you know nothing about Tony Gaffney. The guys goes 6-8 and weighs close to 210 pounds. You must have him mixed up with someone else.

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2010, 10:08:42 AM »

Offline thebirdman

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 31
So, he is an undersized PF? Does he at least have 3 point range?

Is he the new Scal?

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2010, 10:10:24 AM »

Offline vinnie

• Don Nelson
So, he is an undersized PF? Does he at least have 3 point range?

Is he the new Scal?

No 3-point range to speak of, although I hear his shooting touch has improved. Definitely an undersized power forward, but a guy who works incredibly hard. He may never make it in the NBA, but he will go out working his butt off. Was a tremendous shot blocker at UMass and also a solid rebounder.

« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2010, 10:11:11 AM »

Offline twinbree

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 170
Interesting move.
Random thought - TA now has teammates who share both his first and last name.
And wow his wiki page has already been updated. How can I not be an insta-fan of someone whose wiki page provides up to the minute info? Hope there's space on the bandwagon  ;D
Tommy: He's got a line about me. Tell him the line.

Mike: Everybody 60 or over knows Tommy as a player. Everybody 40 or over knows Tommy as a coach. Everybody 20 or over knows Tommy as a broadcaster. And everybody 10 or under thinks he's Shrek.