Author Topic: Evaluate the Celtics season  (Read 7004 times)

Evaluate the Celtics season
« on: April 05, 2010, 06:03:59 AM »

Offline Drucci

• Global Moderator
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 439
It's common to do some "predictions threads" before the season starts, but we rarely see some "look back" threads about the season, so I thought it would be interesting to do one for once. I know the regular season isn't over yet but with something like 6 games left, you can pretty much answer to this little "form" :

Your biggest good surprise of the season :
Your biggest bad surprise of the season :
The player who surprised you the most (in a good way) :
The player who disappointed you the most :
The best win/your favorite win of the season :
The worst loss of the season :
The newest addition - either signed this summer or acquired/signed during the season -  that pleased you the most :
The newest addition - either signed this summer or acquired/signed during the season -  that disappointed you the most :
Your favorite player to watch this season :
The player that has become a favorite of yours this season while it was not the case before :
The player that has lost some credit for you this season while he was one of your favorite(s) before :
The member of the Big Three who did the best job this season :
The "classic" Celtics plays that make you jump of your seat in joy/excitement :
The "classic" Celtics plays that make you "facepalm" and sigh in despair :
The best play of the season :

That's a lot of questions and you don't have to answer all of them if you don't feel like it's worth it or you don't have the time to do it, but I think it can be interesting to see what are the fans' opinions on these matters after a season that we can clearly qualify as disappointing and surprising.

You can quote my post to fill in the form directly, it's easier to do it that way!

Re: Evaluate the Celtics season
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2010, 07:18:16 AM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
It's common to do some "predictions threads" before the season starts, but we rarely see some "look back" threads about the season, so I thought it would be interesting to do one for once. I know the regular season isn't over yet but with something like 6 games left, you can pretty much answer to this little "form" :

Your biggest good surprise of the season : tony allen
Your biggest bad surprise of the season : health of team
The player who surprised you the most (in a good way) : tony allen
The player who disappointed you the most : rasheed
The worst loss of the season : any game that the team didn't show up (more than a few)
The newest addition - either signed this summer or acquired/signed during the season -  that pleased you the most : marquis daniels
The newest addition - either signed this summer or acquired/signed during the season -  that disappointed you the most : rasheed
Your favorite player to watch this season : rondo
The player that has become a favorite of yours this season while it was not the case before : sheldon
The player that has lost some credit for you this season while he was one of your favorite(s) before : eddie
The member of the Big Three who did the best job this season : ray allen
The "classic" Celtics plays that make you "facepalm" and sigh in despair : not boxing out

That's a lot of questions and you don't have to answer all of them if you don't feel like it's worth it or you don't have the time to do it, but I think it can be interesting to see what are the fans' opinions on these matters after a season that we can clearly qualify as disappointing and surprising.

You can quote my post to fill in the form directly, it's easier to do it that way!

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2010, 07:34:57 AM »

Offline pengaloo

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 76

Your biggest good surprise of the season : Rondo's consistency
Your biggest bad surprise of the season : Paul Pierce's health issues
The player who surprised you the most (in a good way) : Tony
The player who disappointed you the most : Rasheed
The best win/your favorite win of the season : Orlando
The worst loss of the season : Houston
The newest addition - either signed this summer or acquired/signed during the season -  that pleased you the most : Shelden
The newest addition - either signed this summer or acquired/signed during the season -  that disappointed you the most : Rasheed
Your favorite player to watch this season : Rondo
The player that has become a favorite of yours this season while it was not the case before : Shelden
The player that has lost some credit for you this season while he was one of your favorite(s) before : Perk
The member of the Big Three who did the best job this season : Ray
The "classic" Celtics plays that make you jump of your seat in joy/excitement : Rondo steal off an inbounds pass or offensive rebound, Rondo to Pierce/TA in transition dunk
The "classic" Celtics plays that make you "facepalm" and sigh in despair : Big Baby with no lift underneath the basket missing layups or getting blocked; Paul Pierce isos; Ray dribbling into traffic and losing the ball
The best play of the season : Rondo alley oop buzzer beater against Miami that sent the game to overtime.

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2010, 08:05:04 AM »

Offline amenhotep04

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 39

Your biggest good surprise of the season :No good surprises
Your biggest bad surprise of the season : Collapse of the effort
The player who surprised you the most (in a good way) : Rondo
The player who disappointed you the most : Eddie House
The best win/your favorite win of the season : Opening night against Cleveland
The worst loss of the season :New Jersey
The newest addition - either signed this summer or acquired/signed during the season -  that pleased you the most : Shelden Williams
The newest addition - either signed this summer or acquired/signed during the season -  that disappointed you the most : Wallace
Your favorite player to watch this season :Rondo
The player that has become a favorite of yours this season while it was not the case before :Rondo
The player that has lost some credit for you this season while he was one of your favorite(s) before : Perkins
The member of the Big Three who did the best job this season :Ray Allen
The "classic" Celtics plays that make you jump off your seat in joy/excitement : I'm too old to jump
The "classic" Celtics plays that make you "facepalm" and sigh in despair : Most of their play since Christmas
The best play of the season : Several dealing with Rondo

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2010, 07:14:34 AM »

Offline Drucci

• Global Moderator
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 439
Bumping the thread now that the season really is coming to an end!

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2010, 07:33:19 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Your biggest good surprise of the season : TA has played well this year
Your biggest bad surprise of the season : Daniels and Sheed -- no explanation really needed
The player who surprised you the most (in a good way) : TA
The player who disappointed you the most : Sheed
The best win/your favorite win of the season : win against Orlando
The worst loss of the season : Nets with Washington a close second.  I had the misfortune of being at both of those games
The newest addition - either signed this summer or acquired/signed during the season -  that pleased you the most :no one
The newest addition - either signed this summer or acquired/signed during the season -  that disappointed you the most :Sheed/Daniels
The player that has become a favorite of yours this season while it was not the case before :No one
The player that has lost some credit for you this season while he was one of your favorite(s) before :KG
The member of the Big Three who did the best job this season : Ray
The "classic" Celtics plays that make you jump of your seat in joy/excitement :Rondo's passing and ballhandling
The "classic" Celtics plays that make you "facepalm" and sigh in despair : BBD getting repeatedly stuffed underneath
The best play of the season :either Eddie saving the ball out of bounds for a fastbreak layup or Rondo's behind the back pass for a fastbreak layup

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2010, 07:38:33 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
B-/C+

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2010, 07:44:15 AM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
I don't really like to think of seasons in terms of individuals, since it's a team game.

So I'll go with the grade.

C-
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2010, 08:26:36 AM »

Offline Slugger

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 75
Your biggest good surprise of the season : All available going into p-offs
Your biggest bad surprise of the season : Perks semi-regression
The player who surprised you the most (in a good way) : TA
The player who disappointed you the most : 2 words....RA  SHEED
The best win/your favorite win of the season : Opening night v Cavs
The worst loss of the season : Last Washington game
The newest addition - either signed this summer or acquired/signed during the season -  that pleased you the most : Pass
The newest addition - either signed this summer or acquired/signed during the season -  that disappointed you the most : All of the above
The player that has become a favorite of yours this season while it was not the case before : Tony Allen
The player that has lost some credit for you this season while he was one of your favorite(s) before : Perk
The member of the Big Three who did the best job this season : RAy
The "classic" Celtics plays that make you jump of your seat in joy/excitement : Rondo offensive boards
The "classic" Celtics plays that make you "facepalm" and sigh in despair : Scalabrine inbounds passes
The best play of the season : PP inbounds to Rondo vs Miami to tie it up and send it to OT

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2010, 10:32:46 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale

I'd say the consistency of Rajon Rondo.  It was clear last year that he had a ton of talent, but this year he was more likely to be an impact player every night.

Tie:  The play of Rasheed Wallace, and the general level of apathy on the entire team this year.  The blown third quarter leads were disgusting.

Rondo.

Rasheed.

Christmas Day, beating the Magic without Pierce.

The Nets game.  The Memphis and Washington blowouts rank highly, too.

The newest addition - either signed this summer or acquired/signed during the season -  that pleased you the most :

Hmm...  This is close to being a "none of the above" answer, but I'll say Marquis.

The newest addition - either signed this summer or acquired/signed during the season -  that disappointed you the most :

Rasheed.

To watch?  Probably Rondo.

The player that has become a favorite of yours this season while it was not the case before :

Well, I wouldn't call him a favorite, but Tony impressed me.

The player that has lost some credit for you this season while he was one of your favorite(s) before :

BBD disappointed me, although he's never really been a favorite.  I was disappointed a bit by Perk, too, until it was announced that he was injured and playing hurt.

Overall, Paul Pierce.

Pretty much anything predicated on great ball movement got me out of my seat, and Ray three pointers always get me cheering.

Any TA turnover. ;)  Seriously, there were a ton of "lack of effort" plays that were sickening.  One that stands out is in the game versus the Knicks, when Rasheed just watched a ball slowly roll toward out-of-bounds, when he could have easily picked it up.  Earl Barron came in and got the ball, and thus a Knicks possession.

I agree with Slugger; it's gotta be the inbounds against Miami, right?

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2010, 10:43:52 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

Hmmm, that's a tough one, since there weren't too many.  I will go with Tony Allen finally gaining a little consistency of focus, particularly on defense.

Rasheed.  I really thought he had more in the tank.

Shelden Williams.  I thought he was a total stiff, but he has proven to be a tolerable backup big man.

Sheed.

The win at Portland.  The team just seemed more focussed for that game than maybe any other time in the season.

The Nets.

The newest addition - either signed this summer or acquired/signed during the season -  that pleased you the most :

Michael Finley, with Shelden Williams in second place. 

The newest addition - either signed this summer or acquired/signed during the season -  that disappointed you the most :

Daniels.  Sheed has been frustrating, but Daniels was even more disappointing, because he doesn't have the excuse of being old and decrepit.

Rondo.

Finley.  I just never paid much attention to him before, but it is a pleasure to watch him shoot.

Perk.  I hope it was because of an injury, because he really laid an egg when they needed him most. 

Pierce.  Until the 4th quarter of games.

Ray for 3 on a fast break.

Sheed for 3 on a fast break.  And Rondo's matador defense.

Gotta jump on the bandwagon and go with the Rondo Alley-oop

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2010, 11:42:12 AM »

Offline shiggins

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 147
No love for the Eddie saving the ball out of bounds with the around the back to Tony for the baptism of Corey Brewer? 

(run-on sentence ftw)

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2010, 11:49:00 AM »

Offline bello_man09

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 249
  • "Celtic for life" REBUILD OR TANK
No love for the Eddie saving the ball out of bounds with the around the back to Tony for the baptism of Corey Brewer? 

(run-on sentence ftw)

sick play i must agree.

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2010, 12:05:05 PM »

Offline jdpapa3

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 85

Your biggest good surprise of the season : Ray Allen's breakthrough after the trade deadline. I really thought he was getting washed up and then went on a tear after.
Your biggest bad surprise of the season : The offense falling off a cliff.
The player who surprised you the most (in a good way) : Rondo consistency after the contract extension. Was nice to see.
The player who disappointed you the most : Perkins. He started the season off so well, but has gotten into old habits and his fg% has fallen off accordingly. Hopefully it is injury.
The best win/your favorite win of the season : winning at Dallas. Gave me hope that we can do it this year.
The worst loss of the season : the Wizards loss emotionally scarred me a bit
The newest addition - either signed this summer or acquired/signed during the season -  that pleased you the most : Finley...no idea how the Spurs released him. If he went to a WC rival, there should've been riots in SA.
The newest addition - either signed this summer or acquired/signed during the season -  that disappointed you the most : I'd say there's a problem if one particular guy wasn't your answer here.  :'(
Your favorite player to watch this season : Rondoooooo
The player that has become a favorite of yours this season while it was not the case before : gotta go with Rondo again. He frustrated me at times last year and fewer times this year, but becoming more consistent was an exciting step
The player that has lost some credit for you this season while he was one of your favorite(s) before : Davis because of the stupid incident before the season and more of the same immaturity during the season. That shot still isn't right.
The member of the Big Three who did the best job this season : Pierce.
The "classic" Celtics plays that make you jump of your seat in joy/excitement : Rondo running a break and the excitement of the variety of different outcomes.
The "classic" Celtics plays that make you "facepalm" and sigh in despair : Feeding Perkins in the post with a good defender on him.
The best play of the season : KG gamewinner vs. NYK.

« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2010, 12:07:18 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
I'll just go ahead and give them a grade:

B-

When you get 50 wins you can't really get lower than that, but overall they were pretty disappointing this year.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers