Author Topic: Our bench is incomplete and disappointing  (Read 11375 times)

Re: Our bench is incomplete and disappointing
« Reply #45 on: December 06, 2008, 04:41:11 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
Pshaw!
Our bench has outplayed most other benches and some starters this year.  We are missing TA who has been playing great.  Need a pg to bring the ball over 1/2, look no further than Gabe who's been sick.  Leon is a beast.  Scal can help.  I expect Walker to give us some minutes later in the season.  Davis is up & down and O'Bryant a project.  Eddie hustles at his weak point defense and can shoot lights out.  Heck I'd like to see Pruitt get some burn at sg as well as pg.
Sure I'd love a guy like posey but I honestly think people are giving him too much credit for last year.  When it mattered (lebron, kobe etc) PP and Ray were doing the great d.  So far it seems like our starters are getting a better rest and without a doubt we looked more polished/better than last year at this point. 
If davis was moved for a vet pf/c I would be fine with that.
As a few people stated when playoffs come the rotation will be shortened considerably.  We probably won't see scal unless foul troubles, Davis MAYBE as a backup c.  Let everyone get the minutes now it helps.
What is our record? ::)

« Reply #46 on: December 06, 2008, 05:54:04 PM »

Offline housecall

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 112
Way overreacting.  The bench has played so much better than any other second unit in the league.  They have two bad games that correspond with Tony being hurt, as well as some problems with the rotation against Indiana, and the sky is falling.

When Tony's in the game he controls a lot of the tempo.  He wasn't around and so the pressure on Eddie made the second unit completely in chaos.  If Tony's there, this doesn't happen, and we win the game by 25.

No problem.

are you serious?? what you are saying is equivalent to saying without paul pierce our starting unit would stink. You can't depend on one guy like that. We can't think tony allen will be healthy 100 percent cuz no player is.

I guess you didn't see how pizzed kg was

I don't know about amenhotep, but I think he makes a great point and you've completely misinterpreted it. This is a bench we're talking about! We're not going to have three or four playmakers on that bench that can control the game. It's not like the starting lineup where if you want to contend you need multiple scoring/double team threads on the court (or your name is Lebron James). Every team spends their year depending on the healthiness of one player. Every team. Tony's effect upon the bench unit is the same as Pierce's was to the first team a few years ago in this apt anaology you've provided. If Paul is inujured, you may as well consider the game lost. Tony does a great job creating his own shot and a solid job controlling the tempo and pace of that unit and has really stepped up as a leader in my opinion. The make-up of a starting lineup is much different to that of a second unit. You don't want too many playmakers on the second unit simply because they tend to just constantly look for their own shot and become black holes when they get the ball (see: Travis Outlaw).

BBD, never got back on D or even tried to box out tonight, and he tried to be a goto man and that he is not.

POB at least deserves the chance to earn Cry babies minutes  after this game and after the actions on the sideline Danny better be looking to trade BBD....

I'm guessing you didn't see the game, because many of these comments cannot be verified from at least my perspective of the game.

As for his 'go to man' status...You mean the grand total of two shots he took? At least one of which was an offensive rebound (if not both, I don't remember the other however I shall give you the benefit of the doubt). He didn't look for his jumper at all despite being open from midrange a few times (which did confuse me) and he was really within the flow of the offense tonight.

POB disgusted me tonight. That one play where Oden caught the ball and basically just pushed POB back all the way to the rim without any resistance was one of the most pathetic things I've  ever seen in any form of basketball. Then finally, in his act of surrender he gives away the softest foul of all time, I was expecting him to drop on one knee and propose on the spot.

Anybody else feel that the hyperbole on CB lately has been...uhh...hyperbolic? :P

Edit:

Housecall: Just saw your post. I'll admit that I am a huge Outlaw hater, but I don't think he brings anything to the table, especially for us. He had an outstanding shooting night by his standards, and made 5-10, many of them shots that nobody wants him to make (including his teammates) purely because they are such low percentage shots that a make might encourage him. He's athletic but little else on the other side of the ball, and historically he hasn't been able to shoot the 3-ball at all. I can't see his chucker mentality being beneficial to the Celtics at this point in his career.

Edit 2: Just saw your post Buckners. TP for the Oden reference, great minds think alike :D
I wasn't saying Outlaw himself,but a player with his athletism and can score.I have nothing to do with your hatred toward any players,and dont think he would ever be on the C's radar.I was speaking in terms of types of players.Also,ive caught quite a few of the Blazers games this season,and Outlaw has played well in all of them.

« Reply #47 on: December 06, 2008, 06:12:47 PM »

Offline zerophase

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 334
  • Anything's Possible
we need someone to step up. powe's offense has gotten some praise but its far from pretty. tony allen needs to come back to give some kind of offense and pruit needs to shoot the ball. if eddie house, who can't create for himself, is off, the second unit can not score. we need someone... signed or traded for that gel of the 2nd unit. i just don't see this team's roster, as it stands right now ready for the playoffs.

Become Legendary.

« Reply #48 on: December 06, 2008, 07:24:56 PM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43
I am of the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" mindset, yes the bench has given up a few leads, and I do think the starters should be better integrated w/ the bench (and scal should never ever be on the floor, but that's a different point) - but to trade for someone with our record at what it is, I think is panicking and crying over unspilt milk
When you love life, life loves you right back

« Reply #49 on: December 06, 2008, 09:09:39 PM »

Offline TradeProposalDude

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 56
We need size down low. If you think Patrick O'Bryant is getting the job done if Perk goes down and we're getting killed when Pau Gasol or Big Z is shooting J's or dunking the ball over our 6'7" backup big men, then think again. We need a real backup big. If PJ Brown is conditioning for a return, let's see it happen. Otherwise, a trade needs to be made. I would think Danny given our PG depth would give up Pruitt easily enough. I don't know about Walker and Giddens. One of those guys with Pruitt and Scal could and maybe should net us a quality big man like Nazr Mohammed who can easily relieve Perkins on call.

To the poster before me, you can't use the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" card because even a defending title team like ours should make fixes where they are warranted. Right now, I'd contend that there are severe enough holes... at least one... that should be handled. If we don't, we risk heading into postseason play not being fully physically and mentally prepared for our competition.

« Reply #50 on: December 06, 2008, 09:25:27 PM »

Offline housecall

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 112
We need size down low. If you think Patrick O'Bryant is getting the job done if Perk goes down and we're getting killed when Pau Gasol or Big Z is shooting J's or dunking the ball over our 6'7" backup big men, then think again. We need a real backup big. If PJ Brown is conditioning for a return, let's see it happen. Otherwise, a trade needs to be made. I would think Danny given our PG depth would give up Pruitt easily enough. I don't know about Walker and Giddens. One of those guys with Pruitt and Scal could and maybe should net us a quality big man like Nazr Mohammed who can easily relieve Perkins on call.

To the poster before me, you can't use the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" card because even a defending title team like ours should make fixes where they are warranted. Right now, I'd contend that there are severe enough holes... at least one... that should be handled. If we don't, we risk heading into postseason play not being fully physically and mentally prepared for our competition.
Tradeproposaldude,i agree with you.Also,no matter what some think of Gasol,he is a very good player especially at the high post.With a full season under his belt with the Lakers,and Bynum staying healthy will create a big problem with the high/low post.Bynum plays deep with Pau up top.Two seven footers with good post moves and one can hit the 17-18ft jumper with consistency can become a problem.They also play one of them  with Odom, they always got two post presence in the game taller than our  6'7"backups.Im not sure of Odom exact height but he looks about 6'10".I see a protential problem here in the spring/summer,if we do not find some help.tp for your post.

Another thing is if there is such a thing on the Lakers team as having an xfactor,Ariza could eventually be that player.I see him maturing each time i watch the Lakers.Just like Powe took some teams including the Lakers by surprise Ariza is doing this now,and could be that extra piece to get them close.I will not say over the hump because thats conceding to victory.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2008, 09:49:11 PM by housecall »

« Reply #51 on: December 06, 2008, 10:30:58 PM »

Offline zerophase

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 334
  • Anything's Possible
patrick's offense looks pretty good. he's made some mid range jumpers and hook shots in the times he's played. remember that he has to play a little more to truly show what he's got and get use to game situations. we definitely need him to be more than a bench warmer right now.

Become Legendary.

« Reply #52 on: December 06, 2008, 10:40:58 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
patrick's offense looks pretty good. he's made some mid range jumpers and hook shots in the times he's played. remember that he has to play a little more to truly show what he's got and get use to game situations. we definitely need him to be more than a bench warmer right now.
Defensively he gets pushed around too easily on the block. Offensively he has a good skill set. He doesn't really know how to function in the offense other than in a one on one manner. He also sets soft screens from what I've seen. Nor does he appear to initiate the dribble hand offs effectively, though I'm not sure how often they ask him to do that.

He's a project and I doubt he'll work out. You need to have a certain motor/drive to succeed as a big man. The game is too physical down low for you to not have it.