Author Topic: rondo article\minutes  (Read 3220 times)

rondo article\minutes
« on: December 05, 2008, 06:35:03 PM »

Offline ben

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 43
I agree with this article   http://newengland.comcastsportsnet.com/wickedgoodsports/celtics/why-rajon-rondo-triple-doubled/

I agree with the article.  Rondo should average 37 min and have frequent 40 minute games.  whats up doc?

Re: rondo article\minutes
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2008, 06:42:06 PM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"
Inconsistency, spreading the floor for Eddie, blow-outs. When Rajon is on his game, he's on the floor. When he's not on his game, he watches. Doc seems very strict on Rondo, and I'm glad he is.

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2008, 06:49:35 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Here is my theory.  I think it has to do with the fact that Rondo is at his best when he is able to go all out.  He is very similar to Garnett in that way.  So when you have a high energy player like that, by giving them significantly more minutes (especially over a season), you risk "watering down" those minutes.  For players whose games are more based on shooting, and generally play slower, this isn't as important, but for a guy like Rondo or Garnett (who is given the exact same treatment, where he is on a strict minute limit), it can be the difference of being dominant, and ineffective. 

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2008, 07:02:47 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Yeah, I think Rondo should get more minutes, but on the other hand, conserving him for the playoffs is not a bad idea either.  I feel that Eddie has not done much with his minutes so far this season.  Would like to see more opportunities for Gabe. What do you say, Doc??

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2008, 07:45:58 PM »

Offline MetroGlobe

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 74
I agree.  I'd like to see Gabe in there.  Just to see what he can do.  We know what Eddie is capable of.  Why not have a stretch of 10-15 games mid year, where Pruitt is the primary backup PG?  I think he's played extremely steady and collected in his brief minutes this year.  I'd love to see if he'd be that way in non-garbage time.

But back to the OP - Rondo should be playing close to 40 minutes.  He's so young.  Why not let him play the type of minutes the other young, elite PGs are playing?

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2008, 11:28:51 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
Inconsistency, spreading the floor for Eddie, blow-outs. When Rajon is on his game, he's on the floor. When he's not on his game, he watches.

This isn't the case at all. He comes out at about the same time  every game and doesn't go back in any sooner when he's been playing well.

The point of the article (Rondo coming out from near the end of the 1st quarter until the last 5 minutes of the second) was a problem in some of the playoff games. With all of the tv timeouts that was over 20 minutes of real time. Doc would leave Sam (usually) in until he was killing us and the other team had built up momentum and then he'd put in Rondo, who'd take a few minutes to get going again.

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2008, 12:29:36 AM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
Silly article. Minutes had nothing to do with him getting a triple double. He had the triple double a few minutes into the second period.

Seems the author wanted to write an article about Rondo's minutes and decided to use the triple-double as some contrived justification for minutes. Horribly illogical.

The author would have been better suited writing and article about the minutes, but not relating it to the triple-double.

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2008, 01:36:15 AM »

Offline ben

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 43
Silly article. Minutes had nothing to do with him getting a triple double. He had the triple double a few minutes into the second period.

Seems the author wanted to write an article about Rondo's minutes and decided to use the triple-double as some contrived justification for minutes. Horribly illogical.

The author would have been better suited writing and article about the minutes, but not relating it to the triple-double.

darn it, you make good points...  i still like Rondo playing lots of minutes.

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2008, 10:24:12 AM »

Offline BirdNerd

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 17
rondo could play all night.    he's tireless.       notice how he really doesn't sweat too?

Close games, he'll be in there.

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2008, 08:40:49 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Playing Tony a bit more as a SF, instead of Scal, can probably make space for some more minutes for Gabe or Rondo to play. I'd do it through stretches just to see how it goes.

With Baby practicing his mid-range jumper, there shouldn't be a spacing problem. House/Pruitt in the perimeter with Rondo/Pruitt running the offense, and it'd be good practice for Tony since he'll probably be getting plenty of minutes as a SF during the playoffs.

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2008, 09:49:01 AM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777

darn it, you make good points...  i still like Rondo playing lots of minutes.
Me too. I like stat stuffing.

I would make sense to extend Rondo's minutes instead of the big 3's minutes, but I'll trust Doc on what he sees chemistry-wise in various lineups.