Author Topic: Tyler Z's most impressive measurable.  (Read 7751 times)

Re: Tyler Z's most impressive measurable.
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2014, 02:11:11 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
besides the fact that he's really talk at 6'11" and a quarter without shoes. Is that his no step vertical is 30". To give a point of reference Marcus smart had a 33" no step vertical which was tired for third out of all the players at the combine and the only guys to best smart were guys like m brown smarts teammate who had a mind blowing 44" max vertical. Also Dwayne Wade had a 31" no step vertical at his combine. So for a seven footer to jump 30" without needing any steps is nice. He does have a small wingspan though at only 7'. Oh well.
I am a UNC fan so I know his game fairly well.  He has good springs but his biggest asset in college was his speed and willingness to run the floor.  Used to get lots of easy baskets.

how is he at protecting the rim?
Not much of a factor.  I mean, he'll try hard, and even takes charges, but he isn't blocking or re-directing too many shots. 

« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2014, 02:14:51 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja
standing vert won't make up for your short reach when a big man is posting you up.
and to add some more stats that have appeared elsewhere on cb....

the average nba center's standing reach is 9' 1.3".

tyler's standing reach is 8' 8.5", which, by the way, is shorter than olly's, sully's, or even bass'.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2014, 02:17:24 PM »

Offline Celts Fan 508

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54
besides the fact that he's really talk at 6'11" and a quarter without shoes. Is that his no step vertical is 30". To give a point of reference Marcus smart had a 33" no step vertical which was tired for third out of all the players at the combine and the only guys to best smart were guys like m brown smarts teammate who had a mind blowing 44" max vertical. Also Dwayne Wade had a 31" no step vertical at his combine. So for a seven footer to jump 30" without needing any steps is nice. He does have a small wingspan though at only 7'. Oh well.
I am a UNC fan so I know his game fairly well.  He has good springs but his biggest asset in college was his speed and willingness to run the floor.  Used to get lots of easy baskets.

He is good at protecting the rim, but probably not the way that most think of.  Zeller seems to always be stepping up and taking charges, which protects the rim by disallowing the shot.  He might not be a great shot blocker (.5 blocks per game averaging 15 minutes a game last season) but he is a rim protector.
2019 historical draft.  Pick 12

Tim Duncan, Oscar Robertson, Elgin Baylor, Scottie Pippen, Willis Reed, Mitch Richmond, Sam Jones, Dan Majerle, Bob Cousy, Rasheed Wallace, Shawn Kemp, Marcus Camby

« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2014, 02:29:10 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
tyler's standing reach is 8' 8.5", which, by the way, is shorter than olly's, sully's, or even bass'.
Couldn't care less. His max vertical is 3-4" inches more than Sullinger's and Olynyk's, and he has a 7'1 frame on which to put muscle so that he doesn't get pushed around. Where do I sign up?
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2014, 02:35:19 PM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
We have a great stable of horses to run run run.

I can't wait to see Rondo walk the ball up and pound it into the ground for 22 seconds.

(Snicker)

« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2014, 03:27:13 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja
Couldn't care less. His max vertical is 3-4" inches more than Sullinger's and Olynyk's, and he has a 7'1 frame on which to put muscle so that he doesn't get pushed around. Where do I sign up?
i agree, but i also look realistically at those situations wherein zeller will be posted up by someone with a lot long standing reach. this isn't a fatal flaw, nor did i say it was. it is however something to consider as a limitation.

his rebounding stats in his first two years seem to say that he is a good, not great rebounder. i looked at his rebounding based upon rebounds/48 minutes (since he only averaged 15 minutes a game last season this is a bit suspect, but all i could really find for comparisons.)

tyler ranked 48th in the nba, averaging 12.9/48. not bad, not super. he was just above spencer hawes, and just behind chris anderson. for what it is worth, sully averaged 14.1/48 and olly 12.5/48.

looking at his TRB% gives a similar story. a good, not great percentage for zeller.

i think he will be good as a back up center for the celtics. but as with any backup, he has limitations.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2014, 03:30:25 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704

He is good at protecting the rim, but probably not the way that most think of.  Zeller seems to always be stepping up and taking charges, which protects the rim by disallowing the shot.  He might not be a great shot blocker (.5 blocks per game averaging 15 minutes a game last season) but he is a rim protector.

interesting, thanks for the info

« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2014, 03:30:58 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460

I can't wait to see Rondo walk the ball up and pound it into the ground for 22 seconds.

Nice.

« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2014, 03:35:57 PM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445

LOL +1 ;)

« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2014, 03:48:03 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

Hey Tommy, remember who had the fastest pace last season?

That's right! It was the world beating Philadelphia 76ers.

Running =/= Wins.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2014, 04:10:48 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
He is better shooter than Sully.   Look at his FG% last year.  It was .538%.  He is a nice backup center.

« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2014, 04:36:13 PM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
Just to clarify, Zeller has the same standing reach and wingspan as our new shooting guard James Young.

« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2014, 04:54:57 PM »

Offline PaulPierce34G

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 110
  • Soul Glo
Can someone tell me if we received the better of the Zeller brothers?  Not that either is a real franchise/game changer or anything, I'm simply curious.

« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2014, 04:57:06 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
Can someone tell me if we received the better of the Zeller brothers?  Not that either is a real franchise/game changer or anything, I'm simply curious.

no we got the lesser one

« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2014, 05:05:57 PM »

Offline NorthernLightning

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 69
  • zap
We got the stronger one who is more capable at the center position.