Author Topic: Injury update and return date thread  (Read 82200 times)

Re: Injury update and return date thread
« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2011, 10:26:00 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I actually would expect JO to play before Shaq.  Doc said last week that he felt Shaq could be effective in the playoffs without any warmup games, but said he thinks JO needs to get a rhythm if he is going to be effective for the playoffs.  So, I think they will be more inclined to get JO into a handful of games before the playoffs than they will with Shaq.
Yeah, I would agree with that.

Jermaine O'Neal usually needs time to play himself back into shape. To work off the rust in his game and get back to making decisions at game speed. He also has problems trusting his body again after sitting out with an injury and needs games to build up his confidence in his physical capacity. So yeah, I think Jermaine is a guy who needs to get some games under his belt before the playoffs start.

Not worried about Shaq (in this regard). He'll be fine. He knows his body, what he is capable of physically and staying within those limitations and working his game around those limitations. A very good understanding of his physical capacity + his skill-set unlike Jermaine. Shaq will be fine.

Shaq came back late last year for Cleveland (start of playoffs after sitting out since late February) and he was ready to go from the first game. No concerns about a late return from him.

The other thing Doc said about Shaq was that he is so big, even if he is rusty, he makes an impact just by being in there clogging the middle.  Jermaine on the other hand needs to be using his skills, because he just is not as imposing.

I certainly agree with that. 

« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2011, 06:34:33 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
No longer a Celtic, but whatever:

SpearsNBAYahoo 
Thunder say newcomer center Kendrick Perkins will start in his debut against Washington tonight.

« Reply #32 on: March 23, 2011, 12:09:29 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
New tweet about JO

http://twitter.com/SherrodbCSN/status/50577722681999360

For those wanting the latest on J.O'Neal, he's in Chicago working out with training guru Tim Grover. Still on pace to return in couple wks.

« Reply #33 on: March 23, 2011, 12:13:51 PM »

Offline Tai

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 32
On Shaq: http://twitter.com/SherrodbCSN/status/50586169129447424

On #CSNNE.com, here's the latest on Shaquille O'Neal and whether he'll make his long-awaited return tonight. http://bit.ly/fOAtOI

And from the article...

The long-awaited return of Shaquille O'Neal?

It looks like it won't be tonight.

A team official told CSNNE.com that O'Neal did not participate in the team's closed walk-through this morning.

While it's still possible for him to suit up against the Memphis Grizzlies tonight, it seems unlikely.

Prior to Boston's first game of the trip at Houston, O'Neal told reporters he was hopeful that he would be able to play at some point this week.

« Reply #34 on: March 23, 2011, 02:52:20 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Maybe by next week JO? I bit too optimistic I think, but at least it gives some hope at having an additional body for the playoffs:
http://www.bostonherald.com/blogs/sports/celtics/index.php/2011/03/23/jermaine-oneal-may-be-ready-by-next-week/

« Reply #35 on: March 23, 2011, 02:58:01 PM »

Offline Drucci

• Global Moderator
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 439
Maybe by next week JO? I bit too optimistic I think, but at least it gives some hope at having an additional body for the playoffs:
http://www.bostonherald.com/blogs/sports/celtics/index.php/2011/03/23/jermaine-oneal-may-be-ready-by-next-week/

Dannys sound very optimistic and excited about JO's condition once again.

To me the biggest good news in the article are this :

The most encouraging news, according to Ainge, is that O’Neal has been able to work out for approximately three weeks without swelling. In addition to working out with a trainer, the center has been playing 1-ob-1 basketball.

“That’s always the challenge,” said Ainge. “He’s been working out for that long without swelling, which is a big consideration.”

And that :

O’Neal also lost approximately 12 pounds during his rehabilitation.

No more swelling means JO should finally last more than two games once he comes back, and the lost pounds are always good to make him more mobile.

« Reply #36 on: March 23, 2011, 03:02:02 PM »

Offline Tai

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 32
Definite good news on JO. Hope to see him back in a jersey ASAP.

« Reply #37 on: March 23, 2011, 03:24:35 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
The return date has been consistent on JO ever since his surgery, so this continues to be good news.  I hope he really is back next week, because as we saw early in the season, he needs a little time to get his timing back. 

« Reply #38 on: March 23, 2011, 03:29:19 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
WOW  8) !!!!!!! That is super to hear.  Maybe in a couiple more weeks, he'll get a bit of lift back and energy.  Don't care if he can score period.
 Just want his long frame in the game to swat at Roses layups and provide a defensive wall to keep  LBJ and Dwade out of the paint. Finally , provide some muscle to bang & bump & push on Bynum and Gasol , screw up their timing/shot selection.

JO can help us IF he feels good.

Would be cool to see Shaq, JO and KG in at the same time to stare down LA 's bigs. LA plays their three bigs together and this is how they intimidate /dominate the boards. It would be a battle for the ages.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 03:35:52 PM by SHAQATTACK »

« Reply #39 on: March 23, 2011, 03:58:43 PM »

Offline Drucci

• Global Moderator
  • Tiny Archibald
On another note (not really Celtics related now) Marquis will have surgery next week and he hopes it will allow him to simply be able again to play basketball... hope it goes well : http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/celtics/extras/celtics_blog/2011/03/daniels_will_ha.html?comments=all#readerComm

« Reply #40 on: March 23, 2011, 04:39:06 PM »

Offline Megatron

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 136
Shaq and Jermaine news is looking really good.

If those two can return healthy we are a MUCH better team then we were pre trade.

Stronger and more talented frontline

Much more talented bench.

« Reply #41 on: March 23, 2011, 04:41:38 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 659
  • MASTER OF PANIC
I think Shaq was banged up BUT I think Shaq was out of shape and the Cs told him to get in shape for the playoffs....

« Reply #42 on: March 23, 2011, 06:18:24 PM »

Offline aporel#18

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 170
On another note (not really Celtics related now) Marquis will have surgery next week and he hopes it will allow him to simply be able again to play basketball... hope it goes well : http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/celtics/extras/celtics_blog/2011/03/daniels_will_ha.html?comments=all#readerComm

TP, Drucci. I hope he can play again, and most of all, to live his life without health concerns.

On the O'Neal brothers, Danny's gamble could end with the Celtics winning it all. Can't wait to see them playing again.

« Reply #43 on: March 23, 2011, 06:45:06 PM »

Offline Drucci

• Global Moderator
  • Tiny Archibald
Yeah I hope Marquis will come out strong of this one. It would suck for him to see his career end so early.

A new "update" on Shaq : out for 4 or 5 more days according to Doc Rivers. At this point I just wonder why they even keep giving timetables if they already know they're going to delay them one after the other. ::)

« Reply #44 on: March 23, 2011, 06:46:09 PM »

Offline dtrader

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42
Kind of scary, that the article on marquis says that his surgery hopes to stop the episodes he's been "having", where he loses feeling when hit.  The word "having" possibly indicating, that it wasn't just the one time on the court that he lost function  :(