Author Topic: Injury update and return date thread  (Read 82200 times)

Re: Injury update and return date thread
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2011, 05:44:10 PM »

Offline Prof. Clutch

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 237
  • Mind Games
TP P2, this is a great idea for a thread.

I'm surprised nobody thought of this before.

« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2011, 05:48:30 AM »

Offline P2

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 163
  • Green 18!
Small Shaq update (from yesterday):

Quote from: Shaquille O'Neal
After pegging himself at 85 percent on Monday's birthday visit to the Boston Children's Museum, O'Neal playfully deemed himself 84.2271156442222 percent Thursday.

"I can't give you a date because there's a little pain fluctuation," said O'Neal. "I've been told by Doc, [trainer] Ed Lacerte, and Doc Hollywood [team physician] Brian McKeon to not even come talk until I'm 100 percent. I'm working out, shooting, doing light stuff. When the pain is gone, they told me to add three days [then he'll be back.]"

I can't stand the "pushing the dates back" mentality. Shouldn't Shaq have been playing against the Clippers already, and even before that on the weekend? Reminds me a lot of the Garnett injury in 2009.

« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2011, 06:31:54 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Well we've won a good percentage of games recently with Krstic.   Five out of the last six which is a .83% winning percentage.  So why rush it?

I think to hear them finally say improvement is a guy thing.  An achilles isn't an injury to take lightly and it pops it will be game over for Shaq careerwise.  I know this is probably his last hoorah but best to take it easy.

« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2011, 11:58:54 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
On BBD:

@ESPNForsberg Glen Davis is here with team. Planned to test left knee during walkthru, hoping to practice Saturday.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2011, 12:05:15 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
On BBD:

@ESPNForsberg Glen Davis is here with team. Planned to test left knee during walkthru, hoping to practice Saturday.

Doc was on the radio the other day and he said that Baby should be the first player back, possibly on Sunday (or whenever our next game is after tonight).

« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2011, 12:40:06 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2011, 02:19:45 PM »

Offline P2

• Bailey Howell
  • Green 18!

« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2011, 06:24:03 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
SherrodbCSN
#celtics d.rivers is hopeful that glen davis will play sunday vs #bucks.

« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2011, 06:25:59 PM »

Offline P2

• Bailey Howell
  • Green 18!
SherrodbCSN
#celtics d.rivers is hopeful that glen davis will play sunday vs #bucks.

Nice one, TP!

« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2011, 12:04:31 PM »

Offline P2

• Bailey Howell
  • Green 18!
OK, update on Baby and Delonte.

“He looked better, but he didn’t do enough,” said Rivers. “It was just skeleton work. Nothing strenuous. I do think he’ll play (tomorrow), though we don’t know for sure.

“Delonte (West) is doubtful for (tomorrow), but we’re hopeful for next week,” Rivers said of the guard, who is recovering from a right ankle sprain. “We have a lot of games, so hopefully we’re going to get a lot of these guys.”

So Big Baby back tomorrow, if not, then definitely @ NJ, and Delonte is being tagged 'hopeful' for NJ.

Anyone got updates on Shaq? He should've been playing by now.

« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2011, 12:14:28 PM »

Offline Tai

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 32
Since I'm going to the Nets game at the Prudential Center, I'd appreciate being able to see BBD and Delonte. Maybe even Shaq, although that seems very unlikely.

« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2011, 10:10:14 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

“He looked better, but he didn’t do enough,” said Rivers. “It was just skeleton work. Nothing strenuous. I do think he’ll play (tomorrow), though we don’t know for sure.

“Delonte (West) is doubtful for (tomorrow), but we’re hopeful for next week,” Rivers said of the guard, who is recovering from a right ankle sprain. “We have a lot of games, so hopefully we’re going to get a lot of these guys.”

So Big Baby back tomorrow, if not, then definitely @ NJ, and Delonte is being tagged 'hopeful' for NJ.

Just Cedric Maxwell saying he'll be back April 1st.

« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2011, 10:14:54 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

Any updates on Shaq are pretty much worthless.  They are holding him out as long as they can, until he can get to as close to 100% as possible.  Most likely, we will just hear on the day of the game he is going to come back...and I wouldn't expect it too much earlier than April.  They will try to get him a few tuneups before the playoffs, but not push it more than that.

I actually would expect JO to play before Shaq.  Doc said last week that he felt Shaq could be effective in the playoffs without any warmup games, but said he thinks JO needs to get a rhythm if he is going to be effective for the playoffs.  So, I think they will be more inclined to get JO into a handful of games before the playoffs than they will with Shaq.

« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2011, 10:22:35 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
With Baby back, Murphy coming to life and Krstic delivering, Shaq may sit longer still.

« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2011, 10:23:25 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2406
I actually would expect JO to play before Shaq.  Doc said last week that he felt Shaq could be effective in the playoffs without any warmup games, but said he thinks JO needs to get a rhythm if he is going to be effective for the playoffs.  So, I think they will be more inclined to get JO into a handful of games before the playoffs than they will with Shaq.
Yeah, I would agree with that.

Jermaine O'Neal usually needs time to play himself back into shape. To work off the rust in his game and get back to making decisions at game speed. He also has problems trusting his body again after sitting out with an injury and needs games to build up his confidence in his physical capacity. So yeah, I think Jermaine is a guy who needs to get some games under his belt before the playoffs start.

Not worried about Shaq (in this regard). He'll be fine. He knows his body, what he is capable of physically and staying within those limitations and working his game around those limitations. A very good understanding of his physical capacity + his skill-set unlike Jermaine. Shaq will be fine.

Shaq came back late last year for Cleveland (start of playoffs after sitting out since late February) and he was ready to go from the first game. No concerns about a late return from him.