Author Topic: Big “shot clock” change for 18-19 season: after OffensReb, only 14 seconds left  (Read 6963 times)

Offline makaveli

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 320
  • The Truth
it is a good rule change, the game is played like that internationaly(my self included, amateur league), it will speed things up a notch.

i have a problem with the video review system. coaches should be granted 2-3 challenges to kick the review, and be refunded if their claim is legitimate.

the refs are abusing the system, going to review on a sure call, just because some of the players complained, sometimes just to get their coach a free time out. and the game is killed in the last two minutes in that fasion, there are like 4-5 time outs and 2-3 reviews.
what doesn't kill you makes you stronger

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I don't think this change was even remotely needed.  Why fix it if it is not broke.   Rewards bad rebounding teams and hurts good rebounding ones by limiting time.

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25634
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
i have a problem with the video review system. coaches should be granted 2-3 challenges to kick the review, and be refunded if their claim is legitimate.

the refs are abusing the system, going to review on a sure call, just because some of the players complained, sometimes just to get their coach a free time out. and the game is killed in the last two minutes in that fasion, there are like 4-5 time outs and 2-3 reviews.

I think this particular rule change is very limited in scope:

The expanded definition of the "hostile act" to trigger instant replay would now extend beyond interaction with another player to also include a hostile interaction with a referee, coach or a fan.

If they want to review those things to see if an ejection is warranted, I have no problem with it.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Offline Ory

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 21
I feel like the hostile interaction with a ref change was partly inspired by that one time Marcus Morris slapped the ref on the behind.

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
Goood for the likes of Golden State and Boston. This'll force them to shoot the 3-ball more efficiently (if they already aren't doing so). 14 seconds left, not enough time to get the ball in the lane or the rim so just settle for the outside shot. It's a 3-ball league now boys and girls.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
Goood for the likes of Golden State and Boston. This'll force them to shoot the 3-ball more efficiently (if they already aren't doing so). 14 seconds left, not enough time to get the ball in the lane or the rim so just settle for the outside shot. It's a 3-ball league now boys and girls.

14 seconds isn't enough to get the ball in the lane? Our offense in the 2016-17 playoffs didn't even start until there was ~14 seconds on the clock, with IT not crossing half until 16 (or later!). 14 seconds is plenty of time to run an offensive set
I'm bitter.

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
This is a crosspost but who cares:

*climbs to top of highest mountain*

ALL THE 14 SECOND RULES WERE BASED ON THE ORIGINAL 10 SECONDS TO GET THE BALL PAST HALFCOURT, NOW THAT IT'S 8 THEY SHOULD ALL BE 16!!

*climbs down*

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823

ALL THE 14 SECOND RULES WERE BASED ON THE ORIGINAL 10 SECONDS TO GET THE BALL PAST HALFCOURT, NOW THAT IT'S 8 THEY SHOULD ALL BE 16!!

*climbs down*

TP!

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

*climbs down*

TP!

It's the dumbest thing to get mad about but it annoys me so much for some reason. It's just that the number had a rationale behind it and now it's basically arbitrary.

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja

14 seconds isn't enough to get the ball in the lane? Our offense in the 2016-17 playoffs didn't even start until there was ~14 seconds on the clock, with IT not crossing half until 16 (or later!). 14 seconds is plenty of time to run an offensive set
i believe a large number of nba half court plays begin with about 14 seconds to go in the 24 clock, after the ball has been moved across midcourt. so this simply recognized that most half court plays do not need the full 24 seconds since no time was used in moving the ball up the court and into the offensive end. it is already there to start.

makes sense to me and speeds up the game.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
Isn’t the biggest impact really that when a team gets an O-board with less than 24 seconds left, the defensive team, if still in the game, does not need to foul to get the ball back?  Actually... this plays out great to eliminate one automatic foul in the last 20 seconds of almost every close game.  I like that it will force the rebounding team to use clock and shoot rather than having to make FTs to seal it.   

Offline billysan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 178
It's  a 3 ball league now boys and girls.

This is really what it amounts to, up and down, faster pace. Pretty soon it will be 6'4" to 6'8 guys streaking up and down then shooting. The big man and half court game will slowly disappear from the court. Very little strategy,  just athleticism on display.

Ok maybe thats an exaggeration but thats how it feels.
"First fix their hearts" -Eizo Shimabuku

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
What a terrible rule change.  The shot clock is fine, so they screw with it.  The absence of traveling calls is a joke, but that goes unaddressed.

What the hell is wrong with these leagues that they feel the need to fix what's not broken, and to ignore what needs fixing?

Travelling probably doesn't really bother as many people as you think

I doubt that.
It definitely bothers basketball purists, of which this blog is mostly made up of. However, there are many more casual fans nowadays than there have ever been. These people typically don't care about Harden taking 3 steps on a step back jumper, or LeBron dunking it on someone after taking 3-4 steps, because it looks cool
And Kyrie taking 3 or more steps in fast break layups. Those stutter steps are so obvious yet no one notices them lol.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990

This is really what it amounts to, up and down, faster pace. Pretty soon it will be 6'4" to 6'8 guys streaking up and down then shooting. The big man and half court game will slowly disappear from the court. Very little strategy,  just athleticism on display.

Soon there will no longer be a need for power forwards and especially centers. Just have a bunch of 6'4 - 6'8 guys playing PG-SG-SF, rebound, and just shoot 3's all day long. The objective is to score the most points in order to win the game, after all.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN

Soon there will no longer be a need for power forwards and especially centers. Just have a bunch of 6'4 - 6'8 guys playing PG-SG-SF, rebound, and just shoot 3's all day long. The objective is to score the most points in order to win the game, after all.
This would be an absolute nightmare to me.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA