Poll

Should the Celtics trade for AD?

Yes.  (Tatum in the deal)
22 (44.9%)
No.   (Not worth giving up assets for a one year rental)
19 (38.8%)
Yes but only if Tatum isn't in the deal.
8 (16.3%)

Total Members Voted: 49

Author Topic: Anthony Davis traded to Lakers(page 272)  (Read 339465 times)

Re: Anthony Davis trade thread(Davis trade request page 33)
« Reply #2205 on: April 20, 2019, 04:03:58 PM »

RazzelnoDazzel

Sorry peeps, but the Celtics (once again - no surprise) missed their window to trade for an elite star.

Horford's contract has a player option next year.  He's not resigning with the Celtics just to get traded to NO for Anthony Davis. 

There's not really any package the Celtics can put together for Davis without Horford that makes sense on both a salary cap and talent level for New Orleans

Are you trolling / baiting, or are you just ignoring the dozens of posts pointing out that there’s plenty of salary flexibility to make a deal?

In the last two years Danny has whiffed in trade negotiations for Butler, Kawhi, Paul George, Blake Griffin, and Kristaps Porzingis (and YES Anthony Davis).  I'm pointing out that without Horford there's no deal for Davis that is both appealing from a talent standpoint and workable from a salary matching standpoint for new Orleans.  The truth is the window for an Anthony Davis trade closed at the trade deadline this year because Danny reportedly told New Orleans he wasn't ready to make a deal.   

If someone is trolling/baiting you it's Danny Ainge.

The Celtics couldn't have traded for Davis this season as long as Kyrie was on his current contract and they weren't going to trade their best player for a player who would leave in a season because he doesn't have another all star to play with. So the idea that they "missed their window" makes no sense. There was never any chance that a Davis trade involving the Celtics could've happened this year.

And as Roy already pointed out, what you're describing regarding salary matching is also incorrect. There are a bunch of ways the Celtics can make up the required salary with, arguably, the best possible deal anyone else can offer for Davis.

I completely disagree.  The part that makes no sense to me is where the team that was 1 quarter away from the NBA finals last year WITHOUT Kyrie Irving couldn't possibly consider trading him to acquire Anthony Davis...

Alright I give up. There is just no hope for this one fellas.

« Reply #2206 on: April 20, 2019, 04:10:05 PM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468
Really we only need to worry about the Knicks getting the first picks. All of the other basement teams would probably just want to keep Zion instead.
Besides the Knicks, I think we need to be worried about the Wizards, Mavs, TWolves, Lakers, Heat and Sixers getting the #1 pick.  Maybe Chicago since that's AD's hometown. 

Also NOP getting the #1 pick could be problematic.  Instead of trading AD, they might trade it for a 3rd star to get AD to stay or maybe just getting Zion would entice AD to stay.   
Yeesh, talk about being paranoid. Most of those teams have a very minimal chance of getting the pick, while the other wouldn't trade away a possibly Lebron-level prospect for a one year rental of AD.
The Cavs won the #1 pick from the 8th position (2.8% chance) and 9th position (1.7%).  Acting like those odds don't count is foolish.  Assuming AD would be a 1 year rental is foolish.  Paul George was supposed to be a 1 year rental for OKC.  We'll see what happens with Kawhi.
Ever heard of "The exception proves the rule"? Just because it CAN happen, doesn't mean you should count on it happening. Now that's foolish. Then again, it seems your perfect dream is for the Sixers to get the 1st pick, since you can't seem to stop hyping them up here...
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

« Reply #2207 on: April 20, 2019, 04:21:33 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
Really we only need to worry about the Knicks getting the first picks. All of the other basement teams would probably just want to keep Zion instead.
Besides the Knicks, I think we need to be worried about the Wizards, Mavs, TWolves, Lakers, Heat and Sixers getting the #1 pick.  Maybe Chicago since that's AD's hometown. 

Also NOP getting the #1 pick could be problematic.  Instead of trading AD, they might trade it for a 3rd star to get AD to stay or maybe just getting Zion would entice AD to stay.   
Yeesh, talk about being paranoid. Most of those teams have a very minimal chance of getting the pick, while the other wouldn't trade away a possibly Lebron-level prospect for a one year rental of AD.
The Cavs won the #1 pick from the 8th position (2.8% chance) and 9th position (1.7%).  Acting like those odds don't count is foolish.  Assuming AD would be a 1 year rental is foolish.  Paul George was supposed to be a 1 year rental for OKC.  We'll see what happens with Kawhi.
Ever heard of "The exception proves the rule"? Just because it CAN happen, doesn't mean you should count on it happening. Now that's foolish. Then again, it seems your perfect dream is for the Sixers to get the 1st pick, since you can't seem to stop hyping them up here...
Please.  You said the Knicks were the only team to worry about getting the #1 pick and I pointed out that you were wrong.  I said nothing about it being likely to happen.  My post on this had nothing to do with the Sixers other than mentioning their 1% chance. 

« Reply #2208 on: April 20, 2019, 05:02:00 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586

Please.  You said the Knicks were the only team to worry about getting the #1 pick and I pointed out that you were wrong.  I said nothing about it being likely to happen.  My post on this had nothing to do with the Sixers other than mentioning their 1% chance.

Funny thing is, it's more likely that one of the teams you mentioned wins the #1 pick than the Knicks.  Knicks have a 14% chance, while the Wizards (9%), Mavs (6%), T-Wolves (3%), Lakers (2%), Heat (1%) and Sixers (1%) have a combined 22% chance.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #2209 on: April 20, 2019, 05:31:43 PM »

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
I'm pointing out that without Horford there's no deal for Davis that is both appealing from a talent standpoint and workable from a salary matching standpoint for new Orleans.

Right, but that is demonstrably untrue. That’s why I’m wondering why you keep repeating it.

The only thing "demonstrable" is that the Celtics weren't able to put a deal together for AD by the trade deadline. 

You repeatedly insisting that the Celtics have deals remaining that appeal to New Orleans without Horford or Kyrie being involved REALLY begs the question:

"If that's so, why didn't the deal already get done?"

Ainge just wanted to see how the season would play out with inferior players?  He couldn't bare to part with one of Jaylen Brown, Jason Tatum, or Gordon Hayward for Anthony Davis even though Marcus Morris was outplaying all of them?  Maybe he thought he'd play hard to get because it's worked out so well in the past for him to slow play his assets in trade-talks? 

Nope, sorry.  This trade died months ago.

« Reply #2210 on: April 20, 2019, 05:42:08 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
I'm pointing out that without Horford there's no deal for Davis that is both appealing from a talent standpoint and workable from a salary matching standpoint for new Orleans.

Right, but that is demonstrably untrue. That’s why I’m wondering why you keep repeating it.

The only thing "demonstrable" is that the Celtics weren't able to put a deal together for AD by the trade deadline. 

You repeatedly insisting that the Celtics have deals remaining that appeal to New Orleans without Horford or Kyrie being involved REALLY begs the question:

Ainge just wanted to see how the season would play out with inferior players?  He couldn't bare to part with one of Jaylen Brown, Jason Tatum, or Gordon Hayward for Anthony Davis even though Marcus Morris was outplaying all of them?  Maybe he thought he'd play hard to get because it's worked out so well in the past for him to slow play his assets in trade-talks? 

You're intentionally being obtuse. The Celtics could not have acquired AD before the trade deadline because of Kyrie's current contract because of the Rose Rule. A team can't have two players who signed designated rookie extensions at the same time - it's against the rules of the CBA. The only way to trade for AD would have mandated a trade of Kyrie. Danny wants to pair Kyrie with AD, that's the point.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #2211 on: April 20, 2019, 05:47:51 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
One of Brown or Tatum/Smart/Yabu/picks. That’s probably what it will take.

« Reply #2212 on: April 20, 2019, 06:40:54 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

Did you somehow miss every post here, every article, and every talking head talking about how the Celtics couldn't trade for AD at the trade deadline unless they traded away Kyrie?

This shouldn't be news to anybody, it was literally everywhere after AD asked for a trade
I'm bitter.

« Reply #2213 on: April 20, 2019, 06:50:02 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544

Did you somehow miss every post here, every article, and every talking head talking about how the Celtics couldn't trade for AD at the trade deadline unless they traded away Kyrie?

This shouldn't be news to anybody, it was literally everywhere after AD asked for a trade

Maybe the most appropriate use of this meme ever...

« Reply #2214 on: April 20, 2019, 07:34:32 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
What are new odds as stats?

« Reply #2215 on: April 24, 2019, 01:54:23 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150

« Reply #2216 on: April 24, 2019, 02:00:10 PM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
https://www.yahoo.com/sports/pelicans-david-griffin-explains-history-141745042.html

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Griffin has spoken highly of Ainge in the past. And correct me if I'm wrong, but right after Griffin left the Cavs, he indicated in an interview that the Celtics were on Kyrie's "list", which was odd because there was a rumored list of Kyrie's preferred destinations at the time but it didn't include Boston until Griffin spoke it.

In an AD deal, the Pels preferred centerpiece is still Tatum... right?
« Reply #2217 on: April 29, 2019, 04:05:09 PM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 628
  • Mark Blount often got smoked
Tatum played great in the first round, 19ppg, but JB has been playing fantastic ball for 3 months.  I'd argue he's been more important to our playoff success thus far than Tatum, or at least you can make the case.

They are both playing well enough that NO had no business demanding both JB and JT, at least I'd hope so.  But are we certain that if Jaylen continues to play like this, that Tatum will still be the player NO covets most? 

I'm asking because like others here, I feel like JB as the 4th option among the starters and with his D seems more valuable than Tatum as the 4th option.  Whereas as the 1st or 2nd option, and especially since he's younger, Tatum seems a better option than JB as a #1 or #2 guy.
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

Re: In an AD deal, the Pels preferred centerpiece is still Tatum... right?
« Reply #2218 on: April 29, 2019, 04:29:41 PM »

Offline celts10

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 25

They are both playing well enough that NO had no business demanding both JB and JT, at least I'd hope so.  But are we certain that if Jaylen continues to play like this, that Tatum will still be the player NO covets most?

Pretty sure he will be. I think Tatum's upside is higher. I also like a Davis/Horford/Hayward/Brown/Irving lineup myself.

Re: In an AD deal, the Pels preferred centerpiece is still Tatum... right?
« Reply #2219 on: April 29, 2019, 04:35:37 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Yes. Brown might be better for that iteration of the team but Jayson's upside is still higher and he's still the superior offensive guy. If you're rebuilding your team, Jayson is the safer pick.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman