Poll

Should the Celtics trade for AD?

Yes.  (Tatum in the deal)
22 (44.9%)
No.   (Not worth giving up assets for a one year rental)
19 (38.8%)
Yes but only if Tatum isn't in the deal.
8 (16.3%)

Total Members Voted: 49

Author Topic: Anthony Davis traded to Lakers(page 272)  (Read 343816 times)

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I really don't see the Clippers offer as a great one. SGA is a good prospect but Harrell has limited value as he's an FA after next year.  Are the NOP certain they could retain Harrell in an otherwise pretty empty FA market, even if they could would they have to overpay? How much do they value Shamet?

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
So name a better trade package?

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
I am not sure if OP knows how market economy works.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
My ideal scenario is to still bring Kyrie back with the max and get AD at all costs.

If it means dealing Smart, Brown and Tatum, that's fine

At least that will leave the team with defined roles.

Only issue here is to replace the 3 outgoing players, the Celts would probably have (gulp) re-sign Rozier and Morris.

I am not a big Rozier fan, but so be it.

We'd have 4 all-stars in our lineup in Kyrie, Hayward, Horford and Davis. Rozier would probably be the starting 2 guard unless
he doesn't mind coming off the bench and we pick-up a 2 guard with the MLE or the draft (or make another trade.)

Don't forget, it's not just the Celtics and Lakers that will be in on AD. The Knicks, Clippers, Rockets, Spurs, heck pretty much every team in the league could use a guy like AD on their team. Therefore, the Celts offer is going to have to be very competitive.

Also, I really don't think Kyrie would be as bad next year in the playoffs as he was this year. Sometimes, guys just have dud playoff performances. It sucks and comes at the wrong time, but it does happen. I doubt it happens 2 years in a row with someone as talented as Kyrie.

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
Tomorrow night we'll know the teams that have the top three picks.  That will make this conversation more interesting.

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

I don't think you do

why would I take a package of Tatum (regressed) + Smart and multiple sukky picks for AD?

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
Glad to see you've found your new Celtic player to bag on. If Tatum's so bad I guess they can have Brown + picks + salary.

It is all about the best offer that you get, not that best offer your counter-party can make. Lakers bid themselves to the point where it was everything, didn't get them anywhere and they are being laughed at across the league.

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
Tomorrow night we'll know the teams that have the top three picks.  That will make this conversation more interesting.
Yeah the lottery drawing will clarify a lot of team's ability to get into the AD sweepstakes if they desire to.

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291

I don't think you do

why would I take a package of Tatum (regressed) + Smart and multiple sukky picks for AD?

Because so far not many other teams are clamoring to give up assets for AD, just to find themselves in the position New Orleans is now. Maybe some team ups the ante, but so far no one has. Something like one of Brown/Tatum, Smart, matching salaries and some decent picks (a late lotto, another first round) would probably do it as it stands right now.

Offline Irish Stew

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 56
The question is not what they want, it's what other offers they're likely to get.

What is the actual market?

Are the Pelicans bold enough to keep AD heading into next season if another team won't meet their preferred price?

I agree that it makes sense for the Pelicans to demand Brown and Tatum, especially since neither has solidified himself as a clear cut future star. 

I'm not sure another team is really going to be able to offer the Pelicans a better package than one centered around Brown or Tatum plus a boatload of picks.

Is there any chance Philly offer Simmons?  I'm not sure Embiid and AD really makes sense, as crazy as that combo would be in terms of talent and size.

I could see the Pelicans having more interest in a package built around Bradley Beal.  I'm not sure if the Wizards have enough additional stuff to throw in to make that enticing.  Besides, without Beal the Wizards have nothing on their roster so there's no chance they would be able to keep AD after next year.

The Clips could offer SGA, Harrell, Shamet, and perhaps some cap relief.  Is SGA really more exciting than Tatum?  Is Harrell good enough to make up the difference?  I'm not sure.

I don't know how serious this is, but supposedly New Orleans is doing their due diligence on Kevin Knox. Obviously, the Knicks pick would be the real core of the trade.

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I really don't see the Clippers offer as a great one. SGA is a good prospect but Harrell has limited value as he's an FA after next year.  Are the NOP certain they could retain Harrell in an otherwise pretty empty FA market, even if they could would they have to overpay? How much do they value Shamet?

I think I agree with you on this -- unless they have a super high opinion of SGA, the Clips package isn't that great.

Now, Zion + Knox + Dennis Smith ... that's probably better than what the Celts can offer since the mystery box of Zion is almost certainly more enticing than Tatum or Brown.

That would require the Knicks to get the top pick, though.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
Kevin Knox has some wildly varying evaluations.

Some NY/National writers consider him the third best rookie on the team last year and the advanced stats have him as the singularly most harmful player in the league. (worst player who played the most effectively)

Others see his physical tools, draft slot, and potential and think he's a reasonable Tatum facsimile, just in a bad situation.

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Especially how these two regressed last season

Celts/CBS didnt help their value at all

If the Lakers, offered Ball, Kuzma and Ingram... that would still be the better deal

Now if the Memphis gets to keep their pick and Celts get a more favorable pick for 2020... that could make a difference

But still may not move the needle

If Pelicans wont trade AD unless it includes both Brown and Tatum

Would you do such trade? Would Danny dare to do it?

Lets say Danny goes all in... he plans to retire soon anyways. Irving only agrees to a 1 + 1

To Pelicans: Tatum, Brown, Rozier (sign and trade), 3 2019 1sts (three highest)
To Celtics: AD plus 2019 1st

Starting lineup (2019-2020)

AD
Horford
Hayward
Smart
Irving

If disastrous ending, FAs leave

Starting lineup (2020-2021)

C ?
PF ?
SF ?
SG ?
PG Smart
well thankfully you don't run any teams in the league.

NO may want both J and J but no way should they get both.  with no guarantee from AD that he resigns with the team, they should feel fortunate to get one for a 1-year AD rental

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Especially how these two regressed last season

Celts/CBS didnt help their value at all

If the Lakers, offered Ball, Kuzma and Ingram... that would still be the better deal

Now if the Memphis gets to keep their pick and Celts get a more favorable pick for 2020... that could make a difference

But still may not move the needle

If Pelicans wont trade AD unless it includes both Brown and Tatum

Would you do such trade? Would Danny dare to do it?

Lets say Danny goes all in... he plans to retire soon anyways. Irving only agrees to a 1 + 1

To Pelicans: Tatum, Brown, Rozier (sign and trade), 3 2019 1sts (three highest)
To Celtics: AD plus 2019 1st

Starting lineup (2019-2020)

AD
Horford
Hayward
Smart
Irving

If disastrous ending, FAs leave

Starting lineup (2020-2021)

C ?
PF ?
SF ?
SG ?
PG Smart

The Lakers package is not better, it wasn't better during the season and when the Pelicans preferred to wait to see if they could get Tatum and it's not better ow that Ball and Ingram lost large chunks of the season to injuries. Add in multiple report that the NOP just dont wnat to deal with the Lakers. Add in our superior draft assets.

If the Lakers package was the "best" package, the deal would've been done before the draft. Nothing has changed except Lavar Ball re-emerged and was already trying to redirect Lonzo to Phoenix when trade talks were ramping out and Ingram went down with a blood clot.

tomorrow lotto will be a dealbreaker

because if Knicks get #1

they can secure AD via trade ... while playing with Durant, Irving to join the team

Pelicans #1 choice would likely be obtain Zion on their path to rebuild imo

Zion + #4-6 pick... is a nice start to a rebuild

I doubt any team would be willing to trade Zion pick for Davis, unless KD/Kyrie made it a condition to joining the Knicks that they get Davis; in that case, the Knicks would have to trade him.

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 743
The Lakers offer is bad. Too many questions surrounding Ingram's health, Ball's entire game, and I don't think Kuzma has much more upside than what he's shown.

Tatum alone is probably viewed as more valuable than those 3 together due to his upside.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008