Author Topic: Boston Celtics vs OKC Thunder Scrimmage #1 7/24/20  (Read 16492 times)

Re: Boston Celtics vs OKC Thunder Scrimmage #1 7/24/20
« Reply #135 on: July 24, 2020, 07:02:18 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I thought this before the scrimmage, but seeing the team play again after a long hiatus really drives it home for me ---

This team has 8, maybe 9 playoff rotation worthy players on the roster assuming everybody is healthy.

Brad is going to have to fight against his own inclinations and keep a short rotation once these games actually matter.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #136 on: July 24, 2020, 07:04:55 PM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468
I thought this before the scrimmage, but seeing the team play again after a long hiatus really drives it home for me ---

This team has 8, maybe 9 playoff rotation worthy players on the roster assuming everybody is healthy.

Brad is going to have to fight against his own inclinations and keep a short rotation once these games actually matter.
Brad usually does shorten the rotation come playoffs time, so if we stay healthy (huge if), I think our nine man rotation will be fine.
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

« Reply #137 on: July 24, 2020, 07:05:08 PM »

Online RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 291
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
Positive: I liked Waters ball handling, smart use of his small body and his active hands. He can create his own shot and create for others. Just needs to improve that shot, but form doesn't look awful to me.

« Reply #138 on: July 24, 2020, 07:12:36 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
I don't know what some of you were watching but the offense ran so much better when ran by waters and he had about 4 bunnies he spoonfed for easy assists that they missed. should have had at least 9. he had some nice hockey assists too. he just has a naturally beautiful flow on offense but that could look so much better with more skilled offenders. needs to play with better defenders but I like the pressure he puts on the ball early on defense, made the team start their offense late just didn't get anything from the other defenders to take advantage of it. he did have 3 steals.
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #139 on: July 24, 2020, 07:14:22 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549

I mean honestly they may only have six depending on how things go.

Besides the obvious guys you have the following who I think reasonably have a shot (this year)

Kanter
R Will
G Will
Semi
Wanamaker

G Will has the best chance but ill just have to hit shots. Kanter may get played off the floor against small guards. R Will may not be ready defensively. Semi also has to hit shots, but he's so limited  in everything else that even if he does he may not be a playoff player. Same thing with Wanamaker. Those guys (Semi, Wanamaker) look fine against back ups in the regular season, but playoff ball is a different story.

I would include Langford but honestly he as so bad offensively this year that I dont see it happening this playoff run.

« Reply #140 on: July 24, 2020, 07:18:08 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
On the plus side i liked R Will's touch on those elbow jumpers. Don't get me wrong, he'll make his living diving to the rim, but its always nice to expand your game if you can.  If you can dive, hit a nice pass and knock down the elbow jumper thats the outline of a  pretty decent offensive big man.

« Reply #141 on: July 24, 2020, 07:18:54 PM »

Online RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff

Brad usually does shorten the rotation come playoffs time, so if we stay healthy (huge if), I think our nine man rotation will be fine.

Unfortunately I only have 7 reliable guys. Walker, Brown, Tatum and Hayward as the best 4 players. Smart and Theis are good rotation guys and Kanter as situational player is useful.

I'm hoping Robert Williams can be a solid back-up big, but he he's still very inexperienced and missed half a year of play. Don't like Wanamaker to play significant minutes again. Neither do I think Ojeleye or Grant Williams can be trusted with meaningful minutes.

Langford is a huge question mark. Don't believe Edwards (I'm sorry, but he's more than awful), Green or Poirier will have a future in Boston.

Let's say R.Williams will hold his own, then we could maximize minutes like this:

Walker 36, Smart 32, Brown 40, Tatum 40, Hayward 36, Theis 24, R.Williams 16, Kanter 16.

As I have said all season our bench is soo thin that only one injury derails our rotation.

« Reply #142 on: July 24, 2020, 07:19:43 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

I mean honestly they may only have six depending on how things go.

Besides the obvious guys you have the following who I think reasonably have a shot (this year)

Kanter
R Will
G Will
Semi
Wanamaker

G Will has the best chance but ill just have to hit shots. Kanter may get played off the floor against small guards. R Will may not be ready defensively. Semi also has to hit shots, but he's so limited  in everything else that even if he does he may not be a playoff player. Same thing with Wanamaker. Those guys (Semi, Wanamaker) look fine against back ups in the regular season, but playoff ball is a different story.

I would include Langford but honestly he as so bad offensively this year that I dont see it happening this playoff run.

Smart is obviously good.  After that, I think Kanter will get minutes.  How many will depend on the matchup.

Wanamaker is competent enough to play short stretches, but if they need to rely on him in important situations they're in trouble.

Semi and Grant can maybe get out there to play defense and spot up if necessary to give Brown / Tatum / Hayward a few minutes of rest.  But I think playoff opponents will basically ignore them on defense and jam up the Celts' offense.

I don't think Rob Williams has gotten enough time this season to be ready to contribute in the playoffs.  Langford is nowhere close to ready; he's barely played.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #143 on: July 24, 2020, 07:20:14 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I don't know what some of you were watching but the offense ran so much better when ran by waters and he had about 4 bunnies he spoonfed for easy assists that they missed. should have had at least 9. he had some nice hockey assists too. he just has a naturally beautiful flow on offense but that could look so much better with more skilled offenders. needs to play with better defenders but I like the pressure he puts on the ball early on defense, made the team start their offense late just didn't get anything from the other defenders to take advantage of it. he did have 3 steals.
Agreed. Natural floor general
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #144 on: July 24, 2020, 07:24:33 PM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468

Unfortunately I only have 7 reliable guys. Walker, Brown, Tatum and Hayward as the best 4 players. Smart and Theis are good rotation guys and Kanter as situational player is useful.

I'm hoping Robert Williams can be a solid back-up big, but he he's still very inexperienced and missed half a year of play. Don't like Wanamaker to play significant minutes again. Neither do I think Ojeleye or Grant Williams can be trusted with meaningful minutes.

Langford is a huge question mark. Don't believe Edwards (I'm sorry, but he's more than awful), Green or Poirier will have a future in Boston.

Let's say R.Williams will hold his own, then we could maximize minutes like this:

Walker 36, Smart 32, Brown 40, Tatum 40, Hayward 36, Theis 24, R.Williams 16, Kanter 16.

As I have said all season our bench is soo thin that only one injury derails our rotation.
I think both Ojeleye and G. Will can give us some good minutes, because they have shown the ability to do so. Brad seems to trust Ojeleye, so hopefully he can give us some good minutes. We might vitally need it.
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

« Reply #145 on: July 24, 2020, 07:34:32 PM »

Online RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff

I think both Ojeleye and G. Will can give us some good minutes, because they have shown the ability to do so. Brad seems to trust Ojeleye, so hopefully he can give us some good minutes. We might vitally need it.

I agree with you on that, but every shot he takes I expect him to miss (and too often it actually does). If Ojeleye could be decent from three and actually demand enough respect to be even guarded then it would change a lot.

Still believe that the Celtics with Walker, Brown, Tatum and Hayward as your top 4 guys (as players and offensive options) should be a far above average shooting team. And they're NOT. I think the offensive system and the supporting rotation is just not good enough.

« Reply #146 on: July 24, 2020, 07:36:16 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

I agree with you on that, but every shot he takes I expect him to miss (and too often it actually does). If Ojeleye could be decent from three and actually demand enough respect to be even guarded then it would change a lot.

Still believe that the Celtics with Walker, Brown, Tatum and Hayward as your top 4 guys (as players and offensive options) should be a far above average shooting team. And they're NOT. I think the offensive system and the supporting rotation is just not good enough.
Semi is shooting 37% from three this season
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #147 on: July 24, 2020, 07:36:23 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Welcome to Celticscstrong, the home of overreactionary hot takes...

::) ::) ::)

Anyways, I liked what everyone brought tonight honestly. It's LITERALLY scrimmage game, like it has absolutely no factor or is as meaningless as they come.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #148 on: July 24, 2020, 07:42:28 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
Welcome to Celticscstrong, the home of overreactionary hot takes...

::) ::) ::)

Anyways, I liked what everyone brought tonight honestly. It's LITERALLY scrimmage game, like it has absolutely no factor or is as meaningless as they come.

Are you kidding? They haven't won a game in over 4 months still. Pathetic.

:laugh:
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #149 on: July 24, 2020, 07:44:30 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo

Semi is shooting 37% from three this season

On a staggering 1.6 attempts per game.