Poll

Resign?

Re-sign him at a price over $14 mill. He does a lot for the team
20 (14.6%)
Too much money. The Limited offense isn't worth this much
117 (85.4%)

Total Members Voted: 137

Author Topic: Marcus Smart RFA [Merged - finalizing 4 year deal]  (Read 122631 times)

Re: Marcus Smart RFA [Merged topics]
« Reply #735 on: July 11, 2018, 08:02:08 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
I think Nets are trying to free up cap space to make a offer on Smart.  We need to get something done before they have a chance right?

https://twitter.com/Mitch_Lawrence/status/1017135849702658048

Oklahoma City looking to get something for Carmelo Anthony and talking to Brooklyn about a deal, with Jeremy Lin potentially going to OKC, per sources. Nets looking to get pick(s). Want to move Lin and would buy out Melo.
The Nets are trying to get future draft picks. You don't try to open up cap space by trading for a $28 million a year player and releasing him or buying him out. If the Nets were looking to free up space to sign a player there are easier ways than trading for Carmelo Anthony.

I think the idea is that they would use the stretch provision on Anthony.  If waived before Aug 31, Anthony's remaining year can be stretched across 3 years, reducing the cap hit from 27.9M down to 9.3M per year.

So, if the Nets trade Lin (12.5M) plus, say Carroll (15.4M), for Anthony plus draft picks they can

clear a roster spot
waive Anthony and clear 18.6M of space

That's just one possibility.  Not saying I have any idea whether the Nets want to do this.

If the Nets wanted space to sign Smart, why wouldn’t they just waive and stretch Carroll on their own?  It’s extraneous to take back Carmelo, and would eat more into their future cap room.

And, why would OKC be interested in trading a $27 million contract for another $27 million in contracts?

I guess the idea for the first question would be to get picks?

As to the second, maybe they want either Lin or Carroll?   Cut/stretch one of them?  All the contracts here are expiring so commitments aren't a problem.  The only issue with keeping Lin & Carroll is that  they'd still take the tax hit.

Maybe there is a 3rd team that can take one of Lin or Carroll's contract in with cap space?   Either would be much easier to do that with than Carmelo.

Nets get:  'Melo + pick(s).   Waive/stretch Anthony.
OKC get:  Lin or Carroll
3rd team gets:  Carroll or Lin + pick(s).

The 3rd team sends a protected 2nd rounder to either Nets or OKC to make the trade legal.

No, I have not looked into each team's pick inventory to see what picks they might have to make this work.  Nor have I looked for a possible 3rd team.  I'm a nerd but my laziness is too strong to make me go that far.

I'm just trying to work out some sort of rationale here for the rumor.  Don't beat me up if it makes no sense!
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #736 on: July 11, 2018, 08:06:57 PM »

Online The Oracle

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 597
Maybe Brooklyn or one of these other teams can do us a favor and sign him to a 4 year deal at like 45-50 mil so we can match it.
If Brooklyn or another team signs him to an offer sheet it will likely be with descending salary.  A 4 year $50M contract would likely come with a 1st year salary of $14,204,545 making it more painful for the C's to match.

« Reply #737 on: July 11, 2018, 08:08:20 PM »

Offline jmen788

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 22
Maybe Brooklyn or one of these other teams can do us a favor and sign him to a 4 year deal at like 45-50 mil so we can match it.
If Brooklyn or another team signs him to an offer sheet it will likely be with descending salary.  A 4 year $50M contract would likely come with a 1st year salary of $14,204,545 making it more painful for the C's to match.

But we would still need to match it, no? It would be terrible for the first year but then pretty good on our books the next few years, or am I missing the bigger picture?

« Reply #738 on: July 11, 2018, 08:13:29 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 659
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Source: Several teams - inc the #Grizzlies and #Nets - have inquired about a S-T w/the #Celtics for RFA Marcus Smart, who has already met with Brooklyn. Source also says that Boston has had zero communication or contact w/Smart.

« Reply #739 on: July 11, 2018, 08:17:25 PM »

Offline jmen788

• Jaylen Brown
Source: Several teams - inc the #Grizzlies and #Nets - have inquired about a S-T w/the #Celtics for RFA Marcus Smart, who has already met with Brooklyn. Source also says that Boston has had zero communication or contact w/Smart.

Very interesting. The logical question is, do either team have anything we want at all that they'd be willing to give up?

« Reply #740 on: July 11, 2018, 08:20:10 PM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 219

Link?
"Young man, you have the question backwards." - Bill Russell

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.

« Reply #741 on: July 11, 2018, 08:20:59 PM »

Online The Oracle

• Bill Walton

But we would still need to match it, no? It would be terrible for the first year but then pretty good on our books the next few years, or am I missing the bigger picture?
The 1st year is the one the C's care about most because they have a chance at staying below the luxury tax line which would enable them to delay the start of repeater tax penalties down the road.  I think they would match anyway and just forget about staying out of the tax.

« Reply #742 on: July 11, 2018, 08:21:39 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • MASTER OF PANIC

Link?

Jordan Schultz Twitter.

« Reply #743 on: July 11, 2018, 08:22:58 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • MASTER OF PANIC

Very interesting. The logical question is, do either team have anything we want at all that they'd be willing to give up?

More protected future picks? I would hope Boston would find a shooter to replace smart

« Reply #744 on: July 11, 2018, 08:25:19 PM »

Offline jmen788

• Jaylen Brown
I just looked at the Nets and Grizzlies rosters and they have literally nothing worthwhile for a sign and trade unless they're giving up 1st rounders, which I'm sure they're not. Therefore let's hope we can sign him at a decent number.

« Reply #745 on: July 11, 2018, 08:25:38 PM »

Online The Oracle

• Bill Walton

Memphis has JaMychal Green on a $7,666,667 expiring contract who the C's were definitely trying to acquire last off season.

« Reply #746 on: July 11, 2018, 08:28:49 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • MASTER OF PANIC

Memphis has JaMychal Green on a $7,666,667 expiring contract who the C's were definitely trying to acquire last off season.

This is what I thought also.

« Reply #747 on: July 11, 2018, 08:31:34 PM »

Offline jmen788

• Jaylen Brown

This is what I thought also.

Obviously getting him instead of losing Smart for nothing would be pretty darn good. Would we rather have Green or Smart at a reasonable number? We'd be playing the same games with Green next offseason too..

« Reply #748 on: July 11, 2018, 08:33:25 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

I am definitely a JaMychal fan...or at least I was during 2016-17. That salary would bring us awfully close to the tax if we also decided to keep Bird.

But with Green, we really wouldn't need Morris so I wonder if another team would be willing to take him off our hands. That would then allow us to sign IT with whatever we have left to cover the other guard spot with Rozier - voila, problem solved!  :D

« Reply #749 on: July 11, 2018, 08:35:07 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • MASTER OF PANIC
You lose smart you can go ahead and resign terry

Would be awkward next summer having to pick between them.

Green would be decent in return.