Author Topic: Lowe: Porzingis didn't like idea of potentially playing with Durant  (Read 3205 times)

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
https://warriorswire.usatoday.com/2019/02/22/golden-state-warriors-rumors-kristaps-porzingis-didnt-like-the-idea-of-playing-with-kevin-durant/

Kristaps Porzingis was wary of potentially having to share the spotlight with Kevin Durant if Durant were to have signed with the New York Knicks this summer, according to Zach Lowe.

"I’m confident after talking to a lot of people, I don't think he was psyched about playing with Durant. I don't know how directly that was verbalized to the Knicks, but I'm confident that it wasn't something that was like his Plan A," said Lowe on a recent podcast.

Lowe added that Porzingis "wanted to be the face of the franchise" in New York before eventually getting traded to the Mavericks.

Re: Lowe: Porzingis didn't like idea of potentially playing with Durant
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2019, 09:33:41 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Heard that.

He also didn’t mention Celtics being on his list of teams he wanted to be traded to.

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2019, 11:32:24 PM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
Can someone explain to me why on earth KD would ever sign with the Knicks? I never understood that narrative
- LilRip

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2019, 01:44:39 AM »

Offline bopna

• NGT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 136
Can someone explain to me why on earth KD would ever sign with the Knicks? I never understood that narrative

Maybe he wanted to have a ring first before heading East... Remember we almost signed the guy but a ring was virtually assured with the Warriors than Boston (I think if we had Kyrie then already then he would have chosen Boston).
He really only has 2 teams to consider really... The Clippers or the Knicks.. And between those two NY appeals more since it has a sense of history to it.. Knicks also has some nice young pieces plus a chance at Zion or a top 4 pick.

I definitely see KD bolting the Warriors.. His mission there is complete already, Warriors will always be Curry's team so he really needs to move to a team that will become his.

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2019, 01:51:45 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
If I were him I'd just go to Brooklyn, lol.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2019, 05:30:25 AM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
SMH what is wrong with players (most young) wanting to be the “face of the franchise” instead of playing with other great players to win more.

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2019, 05:50:16 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
SMH what is wrong with players (most young) wanting to be the “face of the franchise” instead of playing with other great players to win more.
What? Are you really criticising a guy for believing he can be the best player on a championship team?

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2019, 06:05:47 AM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
What? Are you really criticising a guy for believing he can be the best player on a championship team?

Yes, because many great players as they get older want to play with other great players to increase their chances of a championship.  It usually means some sort of sacrifice (like KG, Paul, and Ray).

Playing with one of the best players in the league is going to make your team instrumentally better, and if he fails to recognize that it’s on him if he has that attitude.  If he wants to be “ the face of a franchise” to increase his counting stats while losing like he was when he was healthy have at it.  He should have a talk with Al Horford.

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2019, 08:03:25 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

Yes, because many great players as they get older want to play with other great players to increase their chances of a championship.  It usually means some sort of sacrifice (like KG, Paul, and Ray).

Playing with one of the best players in the league is going to make your team instrumentally better, and if he fails to recognize that it’s on him if he has that attitude.  If he wants to be “ the face of a franchise” to increase his counting stats while losing like he was when he was healthy have at it.  He should have a talk with Al Horford.
I think there's a difference between chasing numbers and believing you can lead a team to victory. Plus, he seems very content on a team where he won't be the face of the franchise moving forward, so who knows how true this story is

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2019, 08:30:53 AM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen

I think there's a difference between chasing numbers and believing you can lead a team to victory. Plus, he seems very content on a team where he won't be the face of the franchise moving forward, so who knows how true this story is

A lot of players want to win on their terms without fully looking at the big picture.  It happens with younger players, and some mature as they understand their game more and realize you need other great players around to help.  Well we’ll see what happens in Dallas.  It’s not like he had much of a choice, but I thought I read somewhere he still wants to get to free agency.

I just think it’s idiotic thing for him to think about Durant. With Durant equals a much better team than without.  It’s not like they will be playing the same position.

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2019, 08:36:17 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

A lot of players want to win on their terms without fully looking at the big picture.  It happens with younger players, and some mature as they understand their game more and realize you need other great players around to help.  Well we’ll see what happens in Dallas.  It’s not like he had much of a choice, but I thought I read somewhere he still wants to get to free agency.

I just think it’s idiotic thing for him to think about Durant. With Durant equals a much better team than without.  It’s not like they will be playing the same position.
Just going by what he said.
Cuban interrupted a question for Porzingis on whether the player once considered the cornerstone of the New York franchise planned to sign long term with Dallas.

“I can answer that for him,” Cuban said. “Yes, he does.”

Asked if that was true, Porzingis said, “Yes.”

“I get excited every time I think about it,” said Porzingis, whose shares a pro background in Spain with Doncic. “I really see us being very special on the court and fun to watch.”
https://dfw.cbslocal.com/2019/02/04/mavericks-introduce-kristaps-porzingis/

I just question the whole article. I don't mind his attitude though. Maybe it was just a general distrust in NYK thing.

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2019, 08:41:14 AM »

Online trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618

That would be totally awesome by the way. That's actually what I would do if I was Durant.

Russel, Harris, KD, RHJ, Jarret Allen

That fits together soooo nice.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2019, 08:46:59 AM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
I don't care where Durant goes as long as he leaves the Warriors and gives some balance to the NBA.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2019, 08:57:28 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

That would be totally awesome by the way. That's actually what I would do if I was Durant.

Russel, Harris, KD, RHJ, Jarret Allen

That fits together soooo nice.
Not to mention Levert and Dinwiddie off the bench.

That team would actually scare me!

« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2019, 09:00:56 AM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen

Just going by what he said.
Cuban interrupted a question for Porzingis on whether the player once considered the cornerstone of the New York franchise planned to sign long term with Dallas.

“I can answer that for him,” Cuban said. “Yes, he does.”

Asked if that was true, Porzingis said, “Yes.”

“I get excited every time I think about it,” said Porzingis, whose shares a pro background in Spain with Doncic. “I really see us being very special on the court and fun to watch.”
https://dfw.cbslocal.com/2019/02/04/mavericks-introduce-kristaps-porzingis/

I just question the whole article. I don't mind his attitude though. Maybe it was just a general distrust in NYK thing.

Maybe it just had more to do with distrust with management in NY than anything.