Author Topic: The end of an era: Team USA crumbles against France  (Read 18328 times)

The end of an era: Team USA crumbles against France
« on: September 11, 2019, 10:45:56 AM »

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
https://www.espn.com/olympics/basketball/story/_/id/27592643/france-eliminates-team-usa-world-cup

Highlights

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EoZa1EOkWkY&t=611s

Headlined by a Celtics' core of Tatum, Smart, Walker, and Brown, team USA suffered it's second loss in over ten years last night against France.

Rudy Gobert was enabled by the French coaches to dominate the game recording 21 points, and 16 boards, to go along with countless picks, rub offs, blocks and altered shots.  It was really a master-class in big man play for anyone that still likes that sort of thing.  It also demonstrates why the Jazz have had such a high level of consistency in their play since he entered the league despite a revolving door of guards and forwards.

Re: The end of an era: Team USA crumbles against France
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2019, 12:25:23 PM »

Offline cons

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 103
not super surprising right? this was going to happen sooner or later.

in a way im glad they lost. our cetics guys will come back w a good learning experience / humbled and hopefully angry a bit and ready to go, another chip on their shoulders. plus no serious injury.  its a win overall for us i think.

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2019, 12:26:39 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
https://www.espn.com/olympics/basketball/story/_/id/27592643/france-eliminates-team-usa-world-cup

Highlights

Headlined by a Celtics' core of Tatum, Smart, Walker, and Brown, team USA suffered it's second loss in over ten years last night against France.

Rudy Gobert was enabled by the French coaches to dominate the game recording 21 points, and 16 boards, to go along with countless picks, rub offs, blocks and altered shots.  It was really a master-class in big man play for anyone that still likes that sort of thing.  It also demonstrates why the Jazz have had such a high level of consistency in their play since he entered the league despite a revolving door of guards and forwards.

Good!

Meaningless games.....chance of (More) injuries.

Glad our boys are coming home.

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2019, 12:29:42 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I mean this happened before with George Karl and Paul Pierce. It will happen again.

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2019, 12:30:03 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 121
It's the FIBA World Cup, not the Olympics.

There's no way Team USA should lose in the Olympics.

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2019, 12:34:01 PM »

Offline tonydelk

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 467
It stinks that they didn't win with a roster of NBA players.  It also stinks that this team had 4 celtics on it and couldn't win.  NO tatum again hurt.  Kemba had a bad game as well and I didn't see if Brown did anything. 

The olympics will be different because the Stars will play in that game.  I was hoping they'd win and maybe we'd see 1 Celtic on the Olympic roster.  I doubt that happens now.

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2019, 12:59:01 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Obviously not our best core of NBA American players, but a bit embarrassing - especially if you are a Cs fan. Glad Tatum wasn't playing, but that part will unfortunately be forgotten.

This is about as low as the Pierce loss, but at least there have been other losses so it's not quite the surprise. Not even being able to get to the semi-finals has to be considered a colossal disappointment. I was happy that we had 4 Cs on the team, but was worried what might happen if they didn't win...guess we'll find out.

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2019, 01:18:58 PM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
Obviously not our best core of NBA American players, but a bit embarrassing - especially if you are a Cs fan. Glad Tatum wasn't playing, but that part will unfortunately be forgotten.

This is about as low as the Pierce loss, but at least there have been other losses so it's not quite the surprise. Not even being able to get to the semi-finals has to be considered a colossal disappointment. I was happy that we had 4 Cs on the team, but was worried what might happen if they didn't win...guess we'll find out.

This isn't as low as the 2002 loss. That team finished 6th and looked much worse doing it. This team could still go 6-1 and win bronze. In 2002 they didn't even play in the 3rd place game.

I think we're past the point where the US team needs to be perfect to avoid embarrassment (disappointment, sure).

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2019, 01:19:44 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

This isn't as low as the 2002 loss. That team finished 6th and looked much worse doing it. This team could still go 6-1 and win bronze. In 2002 they didn't even play in the 3rd place game.

I think we're past the point where the US team needs to be perfect to avoid embarrassment (disappointment, sure).
They have been eliminated from medal contention.

They at best can place 5th.

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2019, 01:34:47 PM »

Offline Rikibellevie

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 282
I don't think we have to overact about impact on Cs players. Sometimes a player can find confidence on being the key player on the competition and pass a step. Tatum could be this one. But it's a rare thing I guess.
It's a different game, a different mind in a world cup. We din't get any eavy injuries. Walker could build some chemistery with his future teammates. They will have time to cut and to focus on the new season.

It's not the end of an era for me. It was just a game and a great international basketball game. USA can loose as everybody; maybe not with Durant, Harden and Le Bron. They build there sucess on big talent, big domination. This guys, our celtics guys are not (yet) so dominant against FIBA elite players.

Pass on. Celtics will make a good regular season, coach Stevens will build again a wemm coached, fighting spirit team. We will win with 2 valor our team overachieved you today : mental and collective efforts.

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2019, 01:44:32 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Loss in FIBA was pretty predictable. We lacked top talent. Not a disaster. Team played well and hard.

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2019, 01:52:57 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Continuity matters a lot when you don't have an overwhelming talent advantage.

The US didn't have an overwhelming talent advantage or any kind of continuity with their squad.

Makes sense that they lost.  Hopefully it provides motivation for the next Team USA outing.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2019, 02:33:45 PM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291

wow. FIBA tournament is worthless. You can go 6-1 and come in 5th?

« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2019, 02:47:06 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

wow. FIBA tournament is worthless. You can go 6-1 and come in 5th?
Yup, becomes a single elimination bracket with consolidation matches that are mostly for Olympic qualifying (US has already qualified though based on the arcane rules of the entire thing)

« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2019, 03:00:23 PM »

Online hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja

Highlights

wouldnt the bolded phrase above be an argument that this recent loss may indeed NOT be the end of an era??
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva