Author Topic: NFL 2023 Season  (Read 119222 times)

Re: NFL 2023 Season
« Reply #105 on: September 21, 2023, 07:57:16 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25607
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
You don't see this every day.

Reports: Chicago Bears defensive coordinator resigns amidst FBI raid
Alan Williams is out for the Chicago Bears, already off to an 0-2 start
JOHN BRICE3 MINUTES AGO
The Chicago Bears have bumbled their way to an 0-2 start, saw their alleged franchise quarterback cite "Coaching" as to why he appears to be playing robotic and, now, have also lost their defensive coordinator -- reportedly amidst FBI raids at both the coach's home and Halas Hall, headquarters of the NFL franchise.

Alan Williams is out as the Bears' defensive play-caller; the veteran NFL assistant of more than two decades resigned Wednesday as multiple Chicago outlets reported that authorities had raided both the Chicago-area home of Williams as well as Halas Hall, home of the fabled franchise that has posted just one winning season across the last decade.

Williams issued a statement.

"I am taking a step back to take care of my health and my family," Williams said in his statement, which confirmed his immediate resignation from the franchise. "I appreciate the opportunity to work with the Chicago Bears, a storied NFL franchise with a rich history.

"The McCasky family is first-class and second to none. I would also like to thank Matt Eberflus and (G.M.) Ryan Poles for giving me the opportunity to come to Chicago.

"I would also like to thank (franchise) President Kevin Warren, the coaches and player(s) of which I value the relationships and camaraderie. I value the NFL shield and all that it stands for and after taking some time to address my health, I plan to come back and coach again."

A William & Mary graduate, Williams has worked in the NFL since 2001, when he was first hired as an assistant coach with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

Though Williams stated his intent to eventually return to coaching, at least three separate outlets cited raids by law enforcement as why Williams abruptly resigned.

The Bears are cursed, haha.  This was an interesting nugget:

Former Bears’ star cornerback Charles Tillman, now an FBI agent, was reportedly the one to inform head coach Matt Eberflus, GM Ryan Poles and president Kevin Warren about the raiding of Williams’ home.

The Bears are denying that Tillman was involved, and they're saying that Halas Hall wasn't raided.  However, there haven't been denials about Williams' home so far.  I just think it's cool that Peanut Tillman had a solid NFL career, and transitioned to the FBI.  Sounds like a character you'd see in a spy novel.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #106 on: September 21, 2023, 08:59:20 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1626
  • What a Pub Should Be
Quote from: Roy H.

The Bears are denying that Tillman was involved, and they're saying that Halas Hall wasn't raided.  However, there haven't been denials about Williams' home so far.  I just think it's cool that Peanut Tillman had a solid NFL career, and transitioned to the FBI.  Sounds like a character you'd see in a spy novel.

Peanut is a cool dude.  He, Jarett Payton, & Jerry Azumah (Worcester's own) hosted a race out here years ago.  Monsters of the 5K/10K.  Super nice guys. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #107 on: September 21, 2023, 04:58:31 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1016
Cowboys CB Trevon Diggs torn ACL, done for the season.

So many significant injuries in the NFL and we're not even 3 weeks into the season yet

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #108 on: September 21, 2023, 05:15:06 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 432

So many significant injuries in the NFL and we're not even 3 weeks into the season yet
Wow devastating for Dallas & your right, so many injuries already but football is a violent sport
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #109 on: September 21, 2023, 05:21:51 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1626
  • What a Pub Should Be

Wow devastating for Dallas & your right, so many injuries already but football is a violent sport

This one was in a non-contact drill.

Really unfortunate.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #110 on: September 21, 2023, 06:30:44 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2560
I enjoy football a lot but it’s going to be interesting to see how it evolves - especially for young posters here who’ll be around 40 or 50+ years from now.

In places where HS football is king it’s not going away anytime soon, but I think in other places it’s becoming harder than it used to be to field teams. Parents are steering their athletic children into other sports. At the super-high talent level the chances of monetary reward seem much higher in other sports.  If I were the parent of a young typical athlete (not pro potential) I’d look to channel them to any sport other than football - even soccer which I’d then be forced to watch.

« Reply #111 on: September 21, 2023, 09:16:55 PM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 5351
  • Thumper of the BASS!
Why they dragging Purdy for only making $900,000

smh

*sippin*

« Reply #112 on: September 23, 2023, 05:03:12 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1560
Amazingly it appears Chubb only tore his MCL and has a 6 to 8 month timeline to return. Great news
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #113 on: September 23, 2023, 05:10:43 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3032
  • On To Banner 18!
Amazingly it appears Chubb only tore his MCL and has a 6 to 8 month timeline to return. Great news

Wow that's awesome all things considered. Some even wondered if he'd even be ready at all for 2024 or beyond the way it looked that night.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #114 on: September 23, 2023, 05:13:47 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3032
  • On To Banner 18!
Reportedly, Burrow may not play Monday night. Bengals could be in major trouble if they fall to 0-3 and Burrow is hurt. But the right thing is probably to let Burrow sit out the next few weeks as opposed to risking a more major injury besides his calf. Typically calf/ankle injuries can be an intermediary for Achilles-type injuries or other major ones related to those muscles/tendons. We saw it with Rodgers when they reported it as an ankle injury before he underwent further testing and it was confirmed to be an Achilles. Burrow re-aggravating the injury is not ideal and if he comes back less than say, 70% it could put him at long term risk.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #115 on: September 23, 2023, 06:05:26 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1016
Reportedly, Burrow may not play Monday night. Bengals could be in major trouble if they fall to 0-3 and Burrow is hurt. But the right thing is probably to let Burrow sit out the next few weeks as opposed to risking a more major injury besides his calf. Typically calf/ankle injuries can be an intermediary for Achilles-type injuries or other major ones related to those muscles/tendons. We saw it with Rodgers when they reported it as an ankle injury before he underwent further testing and it was confirmed to be an Achilles. Burrow re-aggravating the injury is not ideal and if he comes back less than say, 70% it could put him at long term risk.

The guy just signed an extension and he's about to start 0-3. Bengals might be regretting it now.

They can still sneak in as a wild card team, but the North pretty much belongs to Baltimore if Cincy loses Week 3. Don't see the Browns overtaking the crown.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #116 on: September 23, 2023, 06:36:14 PM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 489

Wow that's awesome all things considered. Some even wondered if he'd even be ready at all for 2024 or beyond the way it looked that night.
Yeah I also feared we had seen the last of prime Chubb (If he even attempted a comeback.) Hopefully we can see him get back to 80-90% of what be was. I have enjoyed watching him for a few years.
#JKJB

« Reply #117 on: September 24, 2023, 10:23:00 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25607
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Usher has been confirmed as the headliner for the Super Bowl LVIII in Las Vegas, Nevada.

That's the best they could do?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #118 on: September 24, 2023, 10:54:41 AM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585
I enjoy football a lot but it’s going to be interesting to see how it evolves - especially for young posters here who’ll be around 40 or 50+ years from now.

In places where HS football is king it’s not going away anytime soon, but I think in other places it’s becoming harder than it used to be to field teams. Parents are steering their athletic children into other sports. [b/At the super-high talent level the chances of monetary reward seem much higher in other sports.[/b]  If I were the parent of a young typical athlete (not pro potential) I’d look to channel them to any sport other than football - even soccer which I’d then be forced to watch.

You’re not wrong about the chances of higher financial gain being in other sports, but the best thing that football offers more than any other major pro sport is opportunity.  Admittedly I haven’t looked up any stats to back this up, but I’d assume the chances are much higher for a young athlete to make it to the professional level in football than any other sport.  53 man rosters on each team who also have a practice squad with a 7 round draft every year.  Also football offers roles for players with all different kind of body types.

I don’t think you’re wrong, I definitely wouldn’t want my kid to play football and I do think more and more parents are trying to push their kids into other sports.  I just don’t think there will ever be a shortage of young men who want to take the easiest path to a shot at fame and also unfortunately, I don’t think there will be a shortage of parents who view their kids as lottery tickets and will prioritize that over their kids best interests
Greg

« Reply #119 on: September 24, 2023, 02:50:39 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 560

In places where HS football is king it’s not going away anytime soon, but I think in other places it’s becoming harder than it used to be to field teams. Parents are steering their athletic children into other sports. [b/At the super-high talent level the chances of monetary reward seem much higher in other sports.[/b]  If I were the parent of a young typical athlete (not pro potential) I’d look to channel them to any sport other than football - even soccer which I’d then be forced to watch.

You’re not wrong about the chances of higher financial gain being in other sports, but the best thing that football offers more than any other major pro sport is opportunity.  Admittedly I haven’t looked up any stats to back this up, but I’d assume the chances are much higher for a young athlete to make it to the professional level in football than any other sport.  53 man rosters on each team who also have a practice squad with a 7 round draft every year.  Also football offers roles for players with all different kind of body types.

I don’t think you’re wrong, I definitely wouldn’t want my kid to play football and I do think more and more parents are trying to push their kids into other sports.  I just don’t think there will ever be a shortage of young men who want to take the easiest path to a shot at fame and also unfortunately, I don’t think there will be a shortage of parents who view their kids as lottery tickets and will prioritize that over their kids best interests
You've also got the NIL money in college which predominantly goes to football players.