Author Topic: Ford 7.0  (Read 12253 times)

Re: Ford 7.0
« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2016, 01:11:47 AM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 238
I think teams like Ellenson because he put up numbers in a variety of ways. He wasn't the most efficient guy or very good on defense though. But he's just a big dude who put up numbers and can do a lot of things.

After Poeltl it's basically Sabonis, Labissiere and Davis.  Davis is probably the closest thing to him but he isn't nearly as physical or developed. He's more athletic though. Do we want to take a crack at any of them? They are all pretty  good.  Sabonis is a crazy man.  Maybe not the most talented guy but he's pretty fun to watch.  His upside might be somewhat limited though.  We have Zeller and marginal upgrade at 16 but I prefer most of these guys.

« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 09:55:09 AM by walker834 »

« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2016, 01:57:08 AM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
All these guys have fair bust potential. Poeltl and Sabonis the most solid just because of how they play.  Sabonis could end up a roleplayer though.  Ellenson was about as high volume and efficient as marcus smart for a big man on offense and wasnt very good on defense.  So what does that tell you?  He seems to make plays though.   
« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 10:36:48 AM by walker834 »

« Reply #32 on: April 28, 2016, 08:34:57 AM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145
Always interesting to see what Ford has to say. Two weird things from my perspective:
-How can you take Ellenson over Poeltl? Is it because Ellenson might possibly one day develop a 3 point shot? Give me a defense-first center who also scores efficiently + prolifically in the paint any day over a maybe-stretch-4 who will be a liability on defense, and who doesn't score efficiently from anywhere.
-Guards who measure under 6'2 always get underrated, and Demetrius Jackson is the latest example. What people usually forget to mention is that he isn't just athletic, he's the most athletic player in the draft. He gets to the rim and draws fouls at will. He is also one of the best shooters in the class, he has good strength+length for his height, and his on-ball defense is excellent. How do you pass on him in the lottery?

I think 3. Murray 4. Dunn 5. Bender is reasonable, though if the C's are drafting 3 I think we need to take Bender.

Loco, good point on Ellenson/Poeltl, but Jackson is not the most athletic player in the Draft. That would be Jaylen Brown. He scores a 97 out of 100 on my unofficial/official eye test.

Athletically ID take Simmons over DJ as well, you have to factor in Big Ben's size 6'10" 240 pounds, and he's got a 40" vertical. That's amazing.

I would bet Simmons beats him in the 3/4 court sprint test coming up as well, Simmons can really move.

Brown is a freak of nature in his own right, and the comparison between guys of such different sizes is subjective.  But to my eye Jackson is the most athletic guard to enter the draft since Wall. Compared with Lavine he doesn't have that effortless bounce, but he's much stronger and more powerful.

Simmons has elite quickness for his size, but Jackson is going to embarass him in a short sprint or in a leaping competition.

There's a long history of freakishly athletic PG's developing surprisingly well in the NBA. That's why Ainge took Rozier at #16 (though I didn't love the pick). I think it's pure folly to pass on Jackson in the late lotto, and honestly I can see him going much earlier after teams see him work out.

« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2016, 10:11:26 AM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
Demetrius Jackson looks really good loco but most athletic since wall? There have been a lot of athletic guards.  He has really good separation though and can can really get up though.  He sort of reminds me of a mini westbrook.  Won't be that good but sparkplug for sure.

« Reply #34 on: April 28, 2016, 10:25:39 AM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 919
If we don't get 1 or 2, trade the pick.  If we do, ask Durant if he wants to play with a rookie, or trade it. ;-)

Hey, I'm all about trading that pick, but it seems that most teams look at this as a 2-player draft. What kind of value will we get for even #3?

Mike

« Reply #35 on: April 28, 2016, 10:27:18 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
I think teams like Ellenson because he put up numbers in a variety of ways. He wasn't the most efficient guy or very good on defense though. But he's just a big dude who put up numbers and can do a lot of things.

After Poeltl it's basically Sabonis, Labissiere and Davis.  Davis is probably the closest thing to him but he isn't nearly as physical or developed. He's more athletic though. Do we want to take a crack at any of them? They are all pretty  good.  Sabonis is a crazy man.  Maybe not the most talented guy but he's pretty fun to watch.  His upside might be somewhat limited though.  We have Zeller and marginal upgrade at 16 but I prefer most of these guys.
Yes to Sabonis. Warrior

I like Ellenson also. Worried about his lack of lateral footspeed though. Could end up becoming an overall defender like Sullinger (though better at running  end to end).  Taller/long wingspan and reach

« Reply #36 on: April 28, 2016, 10:41:28 AM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
Ellenson plays with much more of a hop to his step than Sully I feel.  Just seems to have better energy. He's more like love that way although probably not as skilled or talented.

This class of big guys is fairly underrated I feel.  It's not great and you don't have the studs but some versatile underrated guys.

The entire draft is that way.  A lot of good players with some knocks on them or not as good as but good basketball players.

This is my kind of draft that way.  It just has guys that are good basketball players.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 10:47:43 AM by walker834 »

« Reply #37 on: April 28, 2016, 10:51:03 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Ellenson plays with much more of a hop to his step than Sully I feel.  Just seems to have better energy. He's more like love that way although probably not as skilled or talented.

This class of big guys is fairly underrated I feel.  It's not great and you don't have the studs but some versatile underrated guys.

The entire draft is that way.  A lot of good players with some knocks on them or not as good as but good basketball players.

This is my kind of draft that way.  It just has guys that are good basketball players.

You know Danny is going try to trade everything he got for Ingram at number 2 .    whoever picks Simmons through won't trade him

If not wonder Danny is thinking next.   He seriously can't use the picks and draft 8 players. Unless he plans to at min stash 5-6 of those guys (yikes)

« Reply #38 on: April 28, 2016, 10:59:32 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Three players I wouldn't mind having on the roster next season

Sabonis, Perry Ellis, Josh Hart

All three could contribute right off the bat

« Reply #39 on: April 28, 2016, 11:04:51 AM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo

You know Danny is going try to trade everything he got for Ingram at number 2 .    whoever picks Simmons through won't trade him

If not wonder Danny is thinking next.   He seriously can't use the picks and draft 8 players. Unless he plans to at min stash 5-6 of those guys (yikes)

That's the thing is we already have a lot of players like that.  What we need is more stud talent. There are 2 or 3 of those guys this draft. Maybe a few sleepers that are projects in ways. Luwawu is that and maybe a guy like Davis but their upside is even  limited.  I really like Jaylen brown this draft.

« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 11:11:57 AM by walker834 »

« Reply #40 on: April 28, 2016, 11:10:36 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

That's the thing is we already have a lot of players like that.  What we need is more stud talent. There are 2 or 3 of those guys this draft. Maybe a few sleepers that are projects in ways. Luwawu is that and maybe a guy like Davis but their upside is even  limited.  I really like Jaylen brown this draft.

I'm intrigued by luwawu too. Davis not so much. He is not that strong, or long, good athlete but not explosive.  Ok skill level

Just avg

« Reply #41 on: April 28, 2016, 11:13:12 AM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
Some team may strike gold with guys like Valentine who can just play the game. He could just be a roleplayer.  I'm not sure I'm seeing brandon roy with him or Draymond but he's got some talent for sure.  Other than that there are a lot of roleplayers and starting caliber guys.  Ellenson has some beast potential that way too.  Maybe not the most athletic guys.

Chriss etc all have upside but flaws to their game. He's not aldridge here but plays like it sometimes and is undersized.   Brice Johnson is super athletic and plays with a huge motor. Similar but opposites for different reasons.  Tweeners sf/pf's.

I think I like Ivaca Zubac over Ante Zizic. Hammons is just a big dude.  I'd take him over Stone I think.   He's not as big or tough as perk though.  Perk was an enigma that way.   Taurean Prince looks like a Demarre Carroll clone.  Demetrius Jackson etc.    Really impressed with what I saw of Utthoff although Chandler Parsons doesn't come along every day. He could  bust.  He doesn't seem to have that same something.  He could be a decent roleplayer though.  Jon Barry didnt have Parsons talent but was shorter and played with toughness.   Sabonis is a warrior like you say but has some limitations.

I dont disagree with Davis.  He has upside.  Maybe even over Skal but he's not really showing it.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 11:55:36 AM by walker834 »

« Reply #42 on: April 28, 2016, 11:29:05 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

Yes to Sabonis. Warrior

I like Ellenson also. Worried about his lack of lateral footspeed though. Could end up becoming an overall defender like Sullinger (though better at running  end to end).  Taller/long wingspan and reach

But what about Mickey?

« Reply #43 on: April 28, 2016, 11:33:19 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

Yes to Sabonis. Warrior

But what about Mickey?

Mickey is going to start contributing next season. 

Drafting Sabonis or Ellenson has little /nothing to do with Mickey. Zeller is a goner and also is sully (I hope).

In theory ,  Sabonis + Mickey or Ellenson + Mickey down the line, is a nice looking balanced off the bench front court unit

« Reply #44 on: April 28, 2016, 12:07:44 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
A lot of these guys are somewhat overhyped/underhyped.  Ainge has a knack for finding guys who are an enigma in ways.  Perk was that because he was so big and tough.  Hammons is big and tough but not as big and tough as perk.  Hammons reminds me more of a popovich guy that way.  Uthoff also chandler parsons doesn't come along every day. Guys like that could be solid players but they could also bust. 

Bradley was that too.   He's a role player but he does certain things at an elite level.  Draymond is so good because he does so much at close to that.  I think Ainge also drafted Bradley with Doc Rivers in mind.  I don't see a ton of those guys this draft but interesting players.   Same with Smart with his body type and defense.

I think Simmons and Jaylen Brown are the most like that this draft.  Bender is too.  Ingram is good and like that but more on a different level.  So is Hield.  What we need is talent though.  Simmons and Brown are it.  Bender is an unknown somewhat and a gamble but he's that too imo.

I am not a fan of Chad Ford for this reason.  It's interesting but he just does kind of go down the line of where players are being rated. He doesn't really take into account certain things.

Guys like Jackson also are good that way but are they Ainge type players?  Rozier was.  I think Ford had him going at the end of round 1. I don't really see Jackson that way though.  Sparkplug yes but he is limited.  He's different than Rozier.

I do see players Ainge might think Stevens would like. Much like he did with Bradley and Doc though.

But what we need is talent. It will be interesting what kind of players he drafts.  He could go for that elite level talent or he might do something different.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 12:23:46 PM by walker834 »