Author Topic: Pick one to build a team around: Anthony Davis or Karl Towns  (Read 10260 times)

Re: Pick one to build a team around: Anthony Davis or Karl Towns
« Reply #45 on: March 27, 2016, 09:49:33 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
KAT

« Reply #46 on: March 27, 2016, 09:53:05 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
KAT

« Reply #47 on: March 27, 2016, 09:53:05 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
on a winning team, Davis is a mvp candidate.
if he was an mvp candidate, they'd be a winning team.

In today's league I don't think anybody who plays primarily off the ball can carry a team of nobodys into the playoffs.  Decent point guard play and capable shooting matter too much.

The Pelicans gave a ton of minutes this season to guys who have no business being in an NBA rotation.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #48 on: March 27, 2016, 09:58:35 PM »

Offline fantankerous

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122
With Davis once again shut down for the rest of the season and Towns averaging 21.4 points, 10.8 rebounds, 2.7 assists, 1.5 blocks, 1 steal with 56% shooting in 36mpg since the all-star break... Wondering if anyone else has changed their view and would rather build around Towns heading forward.

Yes, I've changed my mind.  As you mention, AD's health is the determining factor for me.  He can't seem to stay healthy. 

« Reply #49 on: March 27, 2016, 09:59:26 PM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261
Right now? The brow, no question.
I mean... I'm not big into advanced stats so I'm sure someone can give me a clear reason why Davis is obviously better... but I have to admit I genuinely don't know what that reason is.

Forget about long-term, where it seems Towns has a chance to be significantly better than Davis (Towns rookie stats are significantly better than Davis rookie stats)...

Explain to me why Davis is obviously better right now.

Davis Per-36 this season:  23.6 points, 10.4 rebounds, 1.9 assists, 1.3 steals, 2.4 blocks with 49%/29%/76% shooting.

Towns Per-36 this season:  19.9 points, 12 rebounds, 1.8 assists, 0.8 steals, 2.2 blocks, 54%/39%/85%

Thing is, Towns is improving daily.  His role is also different than Davis.  Seems to me, Towns might be a better rebounder already and has the capacity to be a better offensive player already given his shooting range.   Also... both teams are garbage.  Wolves have 16 wins.  Pelicans have 18 wins.

Regardless, if Towns follows the path of most star prospects, he's going to make a dramatic leap from year 1 to year 2.  It's freaky that in year 1, he already looks like he might be close to what Davis is in year 4.

We're still learning what both of these guys can be, but obviously the rookie can show dramatic improvement over the next few years.   Here's a look at them both over their most recent 10 games:

Davis past 10 games:  25.3 points, 9.2 rebounds, 2 assists, 1.3 steals, 2.1 blocks with 52%/33%/74% shooting in 35.8mpg (+/- of -2.4)

Towns past 10 games: 21.6 points, 12.7 rebounds, 2.5 assists, 0.7 steals, 2.2 blocks, 60%/43%/85% in 34.2mpg (+/- of +0.9)

FWIW, RPM has Davis at 2.38, 11th among PF.  Towns is at 1.31, 32nd among centers.   Towns is especially poor defensively compared to other centers.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2016, 10:09:04 PM by chilidawg »

« Reply #50 on: March 27, 2016, 10:18:24 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
Right now? The brow, no question.
I mean... I'm not big into advanced stats so I'm sure someone can give me a clear reason why Davis is obviously better... but I have to admit I genuinely don't know what that reason is.

Forget about long-term, where it seems Towns has a chance to be significantly better than Davis (Towns rookie stats are significantly better than Davis rookie stats)...

Explain to me why Davis is obviously better right now.

Davis Per-36 this season:  23.6 points, 10.4 rebounds, 1.9 assists, 1.3 steals, 2.4 blocks with 49%/29%/76% shooting.

Towns Per-36 this season:  19.9 points, 12 rebounds, 1.8 assists, 0.8 steals, 2.2 blocks, 54%/39%/85%

Thing is, Towns is improving daily.  His role is also different than Davis.  Seems to me, Towns might be a better rebounder already and has the capacity to be a better offensive player already given his shooting range.   Also... both teams are garbage.  Wolves have 16 wins.  Pelicans have 18 wins.

Regardless, if Towns follows the path of most star prospects, he's going to make a dramatic leap from year 1 to year 2.  It's freaky that in year 1, he already looks like he might be close to what Davis is in year 4.

We're still learning what both of these guys can be, but obviously the rookie can show dramatic improvement over the next few years.   Here's a look at them both over their most recent 10 games:

Davis past 10 games:  25.3 points, 9.2 rebounds, 2 assists, 1.3 steals, 2.1 blocks with 52%/33%/74% shooting in 35.8mpg (+/- of -2.4)

Towns past 10 games: 21.6 points, 12.7 rebounds, 2.5 assists, 0.7 steals, 2.2 blocks, 60%/43%/85% in 34.2mpg (+/- of +0.9)

FWIW, RPM has Davis at 2.38, 11th among PF.  Towns is at 1.31, 32nd among centers.   Towns is especially poor defensively compared to other centers.

KAT

« Reply #51 on: March 27, 2016, 10:22:47 PM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
on a winning team, Davis is a mvp candidate.
if he was an mvp candidate, they'd be a winning team.

He was, last year. But I dont think its easy to carry a team to the playoffs with your roster riddled with injuries, esp if youve been injured yourself. The amount of injuries for the Pelicans this season is ridiculous.

Anyway back to the poll. I think Towns is a better player to build around, but Davis is a better plug N play guy, easier to put in a set team without hurting chemistry. Towns is a better no.1 option on a team, but Davis would be ridiculous as a no.2 or 3 guy. I still feel this is a prime Tim Duncan vs a prime Kevin Garnett debate. in 2k16 you pick whoever is left, but given their age, KATis better because there are almost no busts in 2k16.

« Reply #52 on: March 27, 2016, 10:23:59 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
KAT, especially with KG mentoring him.

« Reply #53 on: October 11, 2018, 11:49:50 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
With both KAT and Davis in the news a bit recently, it's sort of funny to look back on this thread. 

I *hate* bumping old threads, but I think this one helps inform some of the debates we're having now.  Yes, Anthony Davis *is* that good.  Yes, he's worth just about any young prospect in the game.  No, the "next big thing" isn't always going to become a top-five player.  Players don't always progress as we expect them to.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #54 on: October 11, 2018, 11:57:05 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Butler said there’s 1 player on the wolves who “doesn’t play to to win games” and it’s a reason why he wants off the team. I suspect it’s KAT

« Reply #55 on: October 12, 2018, 12:00:03 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Butler said there’s 1 player on the wolves who “doesn’t play to to win games” and it’s a reason why he wants off the team. I suspect it’s KAT

I'd say Wiggins, but they're both good candidates, unfortunately. 

If those two played up to their two-way potential, the Wolves would be a top-tier team.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #56 on: October 12, 2018, 12:19:05 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

I'd say Wiggins, but they're both good candidates, unfortunately. 

If those two played up to their two-way potential, the Wolves would be a top-tier team.
It’s insane how much talent and athleticism is wasted between those two
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #57 on: October 12, 2018, 12:20:35 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Funny to look back and see so many thinking KAT, a guy that has never played defense, even at Kentucky,  would be better than Davis. It's especially funny to see one poster go through all sorts of mental gymnastics to prove KAT was better, when clearly, he never has been.

« Reply #58 on: October 12, 2018, 12:24:51 AM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
KAT for 3 reasons:

1. KAT  loves Big Al.....the Dominican connection is strong among those two. Towns has looked up to Horford for a long time as a role model and inspiration. Al would bring out the best in this kid which is a pleasantly scary propsition.

2. Davis fragility and his numerous, varied injury history, but particularly his left knee.

3. KAT will cost a lot less.

« Reply #59 on: October 12, 2018, 12:37:24 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
KAT for 3 reasons:

1. KAT  loves Big Al.....the Dominican connection is strong among those two. Towns has looked up to Horford for a long time as a role model and inspiration. Al would bring out the best in this kid which is a pleasantly scary propsition.

2. Davis fragility and his numerous, varied injury history, but particularly his left knee.

3. KAT will cost a lot less.

You're forgetting the important one, though:  Davis is, and has always been, a superior player.  Also, to date KAT has shown no heart.