Author Topic: Shouldn't the Celtics have a Patriot Place-like tribute to C's history?  (Read 3490 times)

Offline 17iscoming

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 5
Sorry if this is an old topic - but with the Pats opening their HOF and tribute to their history - makes you wonder why the team with the richest winning tradition in Boston hasn't done the same.

There are endless games, people, and moments to memorialize.

I know they don't own the lot, but imagine if they could building something in footprint of the old Boston Garden? 

Wyc??

Re: Shouldn't the Celtics have a Patriot Place-like tribute to C's history?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2008, 03:04:38 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3175
It's called the Basketball hall of fame in Springfield. It's full of Celtics. Also see the Doc Seuss memorial when you're out that way.

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2008, 03:37:15 PM »

Offline Champzilla

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 102
Patriot Place is huge, there is no way something that size is going to fit in Boston, the Boston Garden is owned by the Bruins ownership not the Celtics.  Patriot Place is like a CBS hall of fame, its alot more than just football.
Boston is the Greatest City in the World !!!

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2008, 03:39:08 PM »

Offline ma11l

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 233
  • Let's Go Celtics
The Garden also has a museum in it as you walk to the luxury boxes and club seats.  It has a lot of artifacts and great stuff from all New England and Boston sports teams.
"Take this down," said O'Neal. "My name is Shaquille O'Neal and Paul Pierce is the (expletive) truth. Quote me on that and don't take nothing out. I knew he could play, but I didn't know he could play like this. Paul Pierce is the truth."

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2008, 03:46:22 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
It's called the Basketball hall of fame in Springfield. It's full of Celtics.

thats exactly what i was thinking!

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2008, 09:41:27 AM »

Offline 17iscoming

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 5
I guess I was thinking of something:

1) more generally accessible than the items on display by the premium seats

2) closer physically to Garden than the actual HOF

3) interactive like Patriot Place, celebrating great moments that aren't the obvious ones (Triple OT, LAL-Bos series, etc)

I'm surprised more people don't want this.  We have one of the greatest traditions in sports and Springfield is much to broad.

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2008, 09:59:30 AM »

Offline KJ33

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 78
I guess I was thinking of something:

1) more generally accessible than the items on display by the premium seats

2) closer physically to Garden than the actual HOF

3) interactive like Patriot Place, celebrating great moments that aren't the obvious ones (Triple OT, LAL-Bos series, etc)

I'm surprised more people don't want this.  We have one of the greatest traditions in sports and Springfield is much to broad.

I agree with you.  Suggestions to visit Springfield miss the mark, that is like saying you should go to Canton, Ohio to see anything on the Pats, the fact that Springfield is closer, and that many C's have been inducted, does not make it any more Celtic-oriented than the Football Hall of Fame being geared to the Pats.  The New England Sports Museum doesn't count either, that is for all sports.  The problem is of course the footprint that stymies Wyc et al from doing the Kraft thing, part of the genius of Kraft was buying everything, while expensive, it gave him the rights to do whatever he wanted with the land.

It is so sad with Delaware North controlling the Garden, I was told I could not renew my season tickets a couple of years ago, because the Celts had no say over certain seating sections and they could be changed back to Club seating at any time by the Jacobs gang.  Heck, even the arena is set up to watch hockey, check out some true basketball facilities, they do not have so much real estate behind the baskets, with such an extended amount of floor seating before the fixed seats start.  The true basketball facilities have seating that starts to ascend right behind the baskets, not having to accommodate the dimensions of the hockey rink which push back those seats way too far.  The Celtics deserve their own facility, but alas, I have a hard time ever seeing that happen unfortunately.

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2008, 10:21:42 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
As others has said, since they don't own the facility, it is unlikely to happen, which is a shame.  I don't think they need anything big like in Patriots place, but a small "HOF" in the Garden would be nice.  They could always just get a place accross the street or something...but I doubt it would be financially viable.  That is very expensive real estate, and it likely would not bring in much revenue.