Author Topic: Adande: Brand bolting wasn't about the money  (Read 3293 times)

Adande: Brand bolting wasn't about the money
« on: July 10, 2008, 12:46:36 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Some highlights
"I feel like Hulk Hogan when he went to the bad side or something," Brand wrote in a text message Wednesday night. "Hollywood Hogan. It was a negotiation that fell [through]. That wasn't my intent, but it didn't work out.

"Sometimes enough is enough. … I shouldn't have to go get an outside offer to make the same money."

Loyalty should go both ways. Look at what the Washington Wizards did with Gilbert Arenas. Like Brand, Arenas missed most of the season with an injury, then opted out of his contract. The Wizards offered Arenas the maximum amount -- $127 million over six years -- then let him negotiate downward to $111 with the understanding that the lower salary would give the Wizards more roster flexibility.

In classic Falk-speak, the agent said Brand "was willing to take less money, but not as less as they offered."

He said, "They just squeezed him too hard. They thought he had no place to go and they squeezed him right out of town."

Falk said he gave the Clippers a warning before the free agency period began and was stunned by their response. Working with his estimate at the time that the 76ers could make a $75 million offer to Brand, Falk said he asked, "'If I told you right now we were going to opt out and go to Philadelphia, what would you say?' An executive on the team said, 'I would tell you, go to Philadelphia.'"

The Clippers underestimated the marketplace and -- to borrow one of my all-time favorite Pat Riley phrases -- they underestimated the extent of Falk's animus.

Roeser said the Clippers came in with one strategy, then made the necessary adjustments when the game changed.

"We came up with a plan to basically give Elton $70 million and Baron $65 million," Roeser said. "We were given to understand that that was workable. After we were given to understand it wasn't, we tried to make a better offer."

Falk said the Clippers "gave us an ultimatum and told us to take it or leave it."

But can it really be called an ultimatum when the Clippers showed a willingness to negotiate? Wouldn't that just be called an initial offer? These things happen at the negotiating table.

I asked Falk whatever happened to "it's not over 'til it's over."

He responded: "It's over when you tell a franchise player the offer is take-it-or-leave-it."

Interesting....sounds like the Clippers really really botched this one, but it also sounds like neither side even thought of trying to negotiate fair. Looks like they were both trying to outsmart each other and Brand won.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

Re: Adande: Brand bolting wasn't about the money
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2008, 12:53:30 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Isn't this the Clippers (or namely, Sterling's) M.O.?  He just loves to play hardball, whether he has a leg to stand on or not.  He just can't stand to lose a negotiation, and refuses to give in, even if he is completely wrong not to. 

It is like the stance he took last year with Cassell.  He stood strong until the very last second saying that he would not give Cassell a penny, if he was not playing for them, even though he stood to save money by buying him out, rather than being stubborn.

Sterling just comes accross as the standard Jerk businessman who will cares more about winning any negotiation, and feeling like he screwed someone over, than actually coming out on top on the bottom line.

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2008, 12:58:51 PM »

Offline Big Ticket

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 561
  • The good ole days.
I think it got to the point where Falk himself was offended moreso than Brand, and with the rich offers from GS and Philly, Falk saw a much bigger coup for himself.  Had there been no agent involved, Brand might still be in LA.

"It ain't about me.  It's about us."  - KG, interview with John Thompson, 2005 All Star Game.

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2008, 01:01:37 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Sounds a little farfetched. The Clippers didn't think Brand had anywhere else to go? They hadn't heard any rumors about GS offering Brand money? I don't think so. This is an agent grabbing a reporter and convincing him that this isn't a Boozer-ish situation.

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2008, 01:05:40 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
I think it got to the point where Falk himself was offended moreso than Brand, and with the rich offers from GS and Philly, Falk saw a much bigger coup for himself.  Had there been no agent involved, Brand might still be in LA.

I get that feeling too. It seems like this is a lot more about Falk than it is about Brand...which put simply, sucks. But, I mean, if Sterling was trying to strong arm brand, why shouldn't Brand be offended but just let Falk be the bad guy? Let Falk carry the big arrogant agent card and let brand count his money and figure who is better, Pat's or Geno's? (Pat's is better)

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2008, 01:12:15 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale

I get that feeling too. It seems like this is a lot more about Falk than it is about Brand...which put simply, sucks. But, I mean, if Sterling was trying to strong arm brand, why shouldn't Brand be offended but just let Falk be the bad guy? Let Falk carry the big arrogant agent card and let brand count his money and figure who is better, Pat's or Geno's? (Pat's is better)

Yeah...  I gotta got with Pat's, too. ;)

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2008, 02:56:09 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1616
  • What a Pub Should Be
Read something yesterday about Falk & Sterling despising each other going back years.  I'm sure it brings great joy to Falk to screw over the Clips.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2008, 04:41:09 PM by Donoghus »

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2008, 03:06:47 PM »

Offline celticsfan8591

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 38
This isn't about Falk.  Brand is a grown man, he's been in the league for 9 years and can make his own decisions.  Any "handshake deal" the Clippers say they agreed to is illegal anyway, and they got what they deserve for trying to lowball Brand. The guy played hard all the time for 7 years for a (usually) terrible team and nver complained.  Brand signed with the 76ers because they're just as good a team (assuming they resign Iggy), playin a worse conference, and gave him significantly more money.

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2008, 03:37:14 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
This isn't about Falk.  Brand is a grown man, he's been in the league for 9 years and can make his own decisions.  Any "handshake deal" the Clippers say they agreed to is illegal anyway, and they got what they deserve for trying to lowball Brand. The guy played hard all the time for 7 years for a (usually) terrible team and nver complained.  Brand signed with the 76ers because they're just as good a team (assuming they resign Iggy), playin a worse conference, and gave him significantly more money.

The LAC offer was more than the Philly offer. From what Brand and Falk were saying, it was because they had to go out and get that offer that they bolted LA, not because LA wouldn't pony up the dough...eventually.