Author Topic: Posey wants Beno Udrih money!  (Read 10371 times)

Re: Posey wants Beno Udrih money!
« Reply #30 on: July 10, 2008, 07:44:04 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
I also suspect that they offered Posey a 3-year non-Bird contract (total of $12 million), which is now upped to a 4-year non-Bird contract ($17 mil). I think the second offer is fair, and I hope he takes it. I think we should do the same with House for 2-3 years, then use the MLE to sign Walker and bring in a veteran big man.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #31 on: July 10, 2008, 08:11:43 AM »

Offline TheReaLPuba

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 79
  We are paying Scal 15 mill over 5 years and he gives us absolutely nothing

Your point is?

Just because the Cs are overpaying one vet doesn't mean the Cs should overpay another.

This is a players league.

You overpay for production and hope the player produces. Paying Scal was a mistake but NOT paying Posey is an even bigger mistake.

« Reply #32 on: July 10, 2008, 08:17:57 AM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
the starter of this thread must not know much about beno udrih and the kings situation .. some of the comments being made about beno here just arent fair.. saying he doesnt bring anything to the table, overpaid ect ..

look at what other starting point guards are making, then look at what beno got and actually watch the guy play, he basically played bibby out of town who makes around twice as much as beno .. beno is better than rondo at this point in there careers.. sure rondo makes less but hes younger.

if you can give the MLE to a solid starting point guard whos only 27 , its a steal. he will be even better this year because he'll actually be in training camp and pre season with the team hes going to play for.

Are you Beno Udrih's agent or brother?  He had half of a good season and now he is a quality pg. Pg's better than Beno: Tony Parker, Deron Williams, Chris Paul, Baron Davis, Monta Ellis, Derek Fisher, Rondo, Jameer Nelson, Andre Miller, TJ Ford, Jose Calderon, Jason Kidd, Devin Harris, Aernas, Delonte West, Billups, Iverson, and some more that are debatable.  Hmmmm I wonder if he is overpaid.

But all of those guys better than him are not available.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #33 on: July 10, 2008, 09:09:41 AM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
I also suspect that they offered Posey a 3-year non-Bird contract (total of $12 million), which is now upped to a 4-year non-Bird contract ($17 mil). I think the second offer is fair, and I hope he takes it. I think we should do the same with House for 2-3 years, then use the MLE to sign Walker and bring in a veteran big man.

If Ainge is only doing the non-Bird contract bit, I don't understand why.  Given the Celtics' position above the luxury tax, has Wyc really OKed them to not only give Posey 4 million a year, but also use the whole midlevel?  I find that a little tough to believe.  Furthermore, even if Wyc did that, who is actually worth the midlevel out there?  You can argue it's a bad idea to pay Posey that much, but I'd argue back that it's probably a worse idea to pay anyone else there that much (restricted FAs excluded, but they'll be matched if we only over the MLE). 

And I don't like the idea of splitting the MLE.  Given how small NBA teams are compared to other professional sports, quantity is far inferior to quality.  If we divided the MLE--in all likelihood--the C's get an 8th and 9th man rather than a quality 6th man.  And that's not a good trade-off.   

« Reply #34 on: July 10, 2008, 09:22:07 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

If Ainge is only doing the non-Bird contract bit, I don't understand why.  Given the Celtics' position above the luxury tax, has Wyc really OKed them to not only give Posey 4 million a year, but also use the whole midlevel?  I find that a little tough to believe.  Furthermore, even if Wyc did that, who is actually worth the midlevel out there?  You can argue it's a bad idea to pay Posey that much, but I'd argue back that it's probably a worse idea to pay anyone else there that much (restricted FAs excluded, but they'll be matched if we only over the MLE). 

And I don't like the idea of splitting the MLE.  Given how small NBA teams are compared to other professional sports, quantity is far inferior to quality.  If we divided the MLE--in all likelihood--the C's get an 8th and 9th man rather than a quality 6th man.  And that's not a good trade-off.   
The thing is, we might need a player. If Perk goes down, you really can't expect Powe and Davis to be anything but stop-gap solutions at the C position. I wouldn't be concerned about Wyc's money, and I am sure he realizes that if he doesn't get a legit backup C, the other $70+ million he's paying in payroll might be wasted.

Likewise, I am not sure if you're able to partially apply the MLE towards contracts. Either way, if we're planning to sign Walker to a 3-year deal, we'll have ~5 million available to play at the free agent market with. It is not enough to net a restricted free agent, but might lure someone like Kurt Thomas away from the Spurs.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."