Author Topic: Leapfrog: Where does Philly rank?  (Read 9896 times)

Leapfrog: Where does Philly rank?
« on: July 09, 2008, 08:05:29 AM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2158
With The acquisition of Elton Brand, the 76ers are now a top 5 team in the east.

1. Boston
2. Detroit
3. Orlando
4. Philly
5. Cleveland
6. Toronto
7. Washington
8. Miami/Chicago
The only color that matters is GREEN

Re: Leapfrog: Where does Philly rank?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2008, 08:12:45 AM »

Offline P2

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 163
  • Green 18!
After the Carney and Booth trade, the Sixers have 8 players under contract (including Brand). Iguodala is a restricted free agent. Unless they fill out their roster with some quality talent, I don't see them being a Top 4 seed.

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2008, 08:12:55 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
I have a hard time putting them above the Cavs.  Maybe Philly finishes with a better regular season record, but as Lebron has showed the last two post-seasons, there are few players more dangerous than him come playoff time.  The Cavs were, by far, our toughest competition this year.

The East is turning legitimate quickly.  The top six or seven teams could all compete in the West.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2008, 08:20:39 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
I think it goes

1) Boston

2) Pistons unless they break up their core
3) Magic
4) Cavs
5) Rapts
6,7) Philly/Wiz
8) Chicago

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2008, 08:23:08 AM »

Offline Jeff

• CelticsBlog CEO
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 301
  • ranter
I have a feeling both Chicago and Miami make big leaps this year, I just can't decide who will fall back in the pack

I think the East is narrowing the gap with the West - top to bottom I mean; we're already better at the top (Boston/Detroit)
Faith and Sports - an essay by Jeff Clark

"Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference." - Calvin (Bill Watterson)

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2008, 08:26:02 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
Boston are the defending Champs and clearly top of the East

Okay here's some Eastern Conference Power Rankings

Second - Philadelphia
Third -  Cleveland
Fourth - Orlando
Fifth - I have Detroit
Sixth - probably Washington
Seventh  - Toronto
Eight - Miami
I'm going Pacers, Bucks, Hawks, Bulls, Bobcats, Knicks, Jersey in that order to round out the East.

Philadelphia are better than all the other Eastern Contenders. Cleveland were clearly the second best team in the East last year but Phily already match up extremely well with both LeBron and the rest of the Cavs. LeBron scored 25ppg against Phily so this isn't some team that can't defend him and will lose solely based on that (Washington, Toronto, possibly Detroit). Iggy can defend LeBron well. They played three times last year and every game came down to the final minute with Cleveland winning two games by 3 points and 1 point and Phily taking the other by 6. Elton Brand vaunts them ahead of Cleveland.

Orlando will be an interesting one. Dwight is a wrecking ball and his muscle causes Dalembert problems in the paint so that's not as good a matchup as one would hope considering Sammy's defensive ability. That said, Elton Brand will rip Rashard Lewis to shreds if Rashard is playing power forward. I'm going to take Elton's 5-10 foot shots over Rashard's 18 footers as a series decider. Iggy's defense again looms large and he'll be able to cause Hedo some problems. Thaddeus matches Pietrus. Miller is better than Nelson. Phily are far deeper than Orlando and their rebounding prowess will cause the Magic difficulties like Detroit did.

Detroit will be tough enough but I think Phily takes them. Brand is miles better than Rasheed and Dalembert is miles better than McDyess. Miller played Billups largely to a standstill last season. Iggy and Rip are two closely talented players who play very different games. Phily can match Detroit's bench punch for punch. I see Brand and Dalembert being the difference here.

Washington are soft in the paint and soft defensively all over the court. They'll be a threat against anyone because of their scoring/hot shooting but any of the Eastern teams with homecourt should be favoured against them.

Toronto have a very weak perimeter defense and no perimeter player who scores more than 12ppg, no perimeter player who'll create his own shot consistently enough. They'll struggle in the playoffs. Without some more moves following their Jermaine O Neal acquisition they're going nowhere. They're in dire need of reinforcements on the perimeter and yes losing TJ Ford is a huge blow to their already weak perimeter play.

Miami are an also ran team until they build a supporting cast around their players. I love the Chalmers-Wade-Marion-Beasley grouping though. Need a center desperately and quality off the bench, some NBA players not D-Leaguers. Lot of work to do.

I'd have more faith in Phily (I'd give them a lot more room to spare against Detroit/Orlando) if they had a head coach I was confident in. I'm still doubtful of Mo Cheeks but I'm looking forward to finding out more about him next season, this is a great opportunity for Mo. His type of ball club (hard working, defensive minded, athletic, talented).

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2008, 08:40:30 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
I have a feeling both Chicago and Miami make big leaps this year, I just can't decide who will fall back in the pack
I agree with Miami taking a leap but I don't see Chicago taking a huge step.

I expect Derrick Rose to have a mixed rookie season. Even in college he was unsure of the right step and right way to play for a full game. He'd have sensational bursts of brilliance but it wasn't a constant, he wasn't able to sustain it and it wasn't a constant for a reason - he's still figuring out his game and what his actual strengths are. It was a big reason why he kept making game changing plays in different ways ... because he didn't consistently in similar ways. Always different, always changing. He's still learning what makes him special and how to use those tools the right way. Then he's going to have to deal with all the other issues rookies deal with and all the point guard issues youngsters deal with. I expect him to have a mixed rookie year as he continues to learn his trade. Hopefully he's ready from Day One but that's not my expectation of him. Long term he'll be fantastic but I think it'll take him some time.

I don't see Noah or Ty Thomas taking large leaps in performance so the Bulls will still be questionable inside. They still haven't come close to solving their offensive issues. Their defense is going to be similar to last year because they lack beef in the paint and their two guard setup is a revolving door which has the effect of constantly creating inconsistent performances (if they play Larry Hughes 35mpg they can possibly be one of the top defensive clubs). Then you add in the rookie head coach with absolutely zero head coaching experience and dealing with both a young and offensively troubled ball club ... I see Chicago in roughly the same place they were in last year.

In another year's time I can see them making a big leap around Rose's improved play.

Chicago could change my mind if they make some smart roster moves. I'm not holding my breath.

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2008, 08:42:23 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
To me,

Boston
Cleveland (if the play defense in the regular season like they did in the playoffs)
Detroit (unless the break out the TNT)
Orlando
Toronto (a healthy O'Neal is a bigger add)
DC  (3 stars, a lot of experience together)
Philly
Miami

Brand is a nice pick up.   but can he run like the rest of the Philly offense?   And who is going to open up space for him in the post?  There are no outside shooters.  Will AI2 have the space to drive anymore?

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2008, 09:05:15 AM »

Offline drza44

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 187
I was having a debate with someone yesterday about Philly's ceiling if Brand signed on.  I believed (and still believe) that barring major injury in the conference that ceiling is as a 4-seed.  As things stand now, I expect Boston, Detroit, and Cleveland to be the best 3 teams in the East with each over 50 wins.  I think the next tier has Orlando, Philly, Toronto, and Washington in it with each of those teams capable of winning 45 - 52 games.  Then I'd have Miami, Chicago, Atlanta (if they keep the Josh's) and maybe even Indiana as fighting for that last playoff spot, with the caveat that Miami and Chicago have the potential to jump into the second tier if everything goes right (more likelihood for Miami than for the Bulls).

Ironically, in the West/East debate, if the season started today I think the conferences would be pretty close to even in terms of quality and depth.  The West had 9 strong teams + Portland last season...I'd say that Golden State drops from that list and Portland moves up, giving them 9 strong teams.  And as the first paragraph shows, I think the East is now about 9-deep with quality teams.  It's getting interesting.

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2008, 09:08:36 AM »

Offline lon3lytoaster

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 157
  • Word aapp!
Still not good enough to spark my interest, really. Iggy isn't a Paul Pierce and Brand certainly isn't a KG. All of the "stars" on that team will be guys who would make such terrific second, third, and fourth options... They just don't have anyone who's better than that. So unless they find a way to deal for a legitimate all star two guard or are able to get a slew of terrific role players, they're not doing better than fourth, and possibly not better than sixth.

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2008, 09:11:06 AM »

Offline CelticsWhat35

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 353
What's with all these picks of the Heat making the playoffs next year?  Didn't Riley come out and say that Marcus Banks and Mark Blount would be their starting PG and C?  Does that sound like a team looking to bust out?  Beasley is a good player, but he's coming off his freshman year of college.  I don't see them making a huge leap forward, and I don't see 37 wins getting into the playoffs like last year.

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2008, 09:12:39 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
Brand is a nice pick up.   but can he run like the rest of the Philly offense?   And who is going to open up space for him in the post?  There are no outside shooters.  Will AI2 have the space to drive anymore?
The lack of outside shooting is definitely an issue but the other contenders have far more serious flaws than that. Orlando's backcourt is a joke (the worst of any playoff team nevermind a contender) and Dwight has very little help in the paint. Detroit lack both scoring and interior play in a huge way. Cleveland lack talent behind LeBron. Phily match up well with all these teams and those teams flaws are larger.

I have no qualms about Elton and their running game. They were able to run with Reggie Evans, they'll be able to run with the more athletic and skilled Elton Brand. Whatever they do lose they'll more than make up for in the halfcourt. One other note, don't sleep on Iggy and Thaddeus as starting wings. They'll be able to pressure the ball full court and shadow wings better than Willie Green ever could. They might force more turnovers now. Add that second shot blocker in the paint and extra rebounding. They'll still be a very good running team.

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2008, 09:22:00 AM »

Offline RonJohn

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 7
1. BOSTON
2. Cleveland
3. PHILLY
4/5. (toss up)Orlando/Detroit
6. Wiz
7. Raps
8. Miami
9. Chi-town

Clearly the Celtics are still top on the board. I have the Cavs second because of the LEBRON factor. No one wants to play HIM in the playoffs.
Philly, assuming they sign Andre Iggy and Lou Williams, is third. Their top seven are pretty good. Miller, Andre Iggy, Louis Williams, Young, Dalembert, Speights and Brand is a formidable top seven.

Orlando, if they get a PG, they should be really good. Detroit will still be sneaky but seem to be on the downtrend.

Everyone else just kinda falls into their respective positions.

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2008, 09:22:37 AM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43
Boston are the defending Champs and clearly top of the East

Okay here's some Eastern Conference Power Rankings

Second - Philadelphia
Third -  Cleveland
Fourth - Orlando
Fifth - I have Detroit
Sixth - probably Washington
Seventh  - Toronto
Eight - Miami
I'm going Pacers, Bucks, Hawks, Bulls, Bobcats, Knicks, Jersey in that order to round out the East.

wow, simply, wow

Detroit fifth???  Atlanta out of the playoffs??? But Philly second, that's just bold man, I couldn't go on a limb like that - I'd go to Vegas right now if I were you if you're convicted about this, because you could make some serious bank.. Detroit should be second or third at worst as of right now - they have the experience plus youngsters who can contribute. They have one of the best game controlling pg's in the league, who if healthy may have ended our season early.  They've got Rip, Prince and Rodney at the swingspots, there's no letting up there - Maxiell is a beast off the bench for their bigs, Wallace is still a top 25 player and McDyess is solid but not great.  Amir Johnson will be given opportunities to step in too - I really really think you're underestimating Detroit

Now does Brand put Philly solidly in a playoff spot?  I think so, and I love Andre Miller as a pg, but I think you're overrating Dalembert, plus they still have a hole in their starting lineup, who is their other swing with Ike? They traded Carney (who stunk anyway) - looks like Thad Young or Willie Green, or Williams (who is too small) none of whom really strike fear in their opposition's hearts - Philly looks good, but are still a piece or two away - they've got 4 guys who can start in the league and a few role players

When you love life, life loves you right back

« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2008, 09:29:01 AM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423
I would rank Philly 4th after Cleveland and Orlando.  Detroit is 5th; that team's time has come and gone, although they are still a 45-50 win team.

I really like what Philly has done, assuming the get Brand, who will make them much tougher in their half court offense. In addition to the starters, Thaddeus Young, Jason Smith and Reggie Evans are all very useful bench players. To take the next step they need to shore up their backcourt.