Author Topic: Maggette to GSW (ESPN news report)  (Read 13859 times)

Re: Magette to GSW (ESPN news report)
« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2008, 10:36:30 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
Also,

Maggette getting above $6 million a year.  Good for him but bad for Golden State.

We have to see though what Golden State's next move is. I actually like the move for them at the moment.

Why do you like the move for GSW?

« Reply #31 on: July 08, 2008, 10:41:01 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Hes a good fit in GS. He will be the number 1 scoring option on an all offense run and gun team.They still need a big man though. I think they will look to trade Harrington.

« Reply #32 on: July 08, 2008, 10:42:47 PM »

Offline houlana

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 21
very bad move by the warriors, they lost their star player, failed on brand, and were put on a bad spot to spend the money to cover up.
great deal for corey financially, but as for the wariors, they will go back to being one of the bad teams in the league after short success in their standards

« Reply #33 on: July 08, 2008, 10:45:08 PM »

Offline gar

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 247
  • Strength from Within
If you think this is fun wait until next year!

« Reply #34 on: July 08, 2008, 10:48:29 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Also,

Maggette getting above $6 million a year.  Good for him but bad for Golden State.

We have to see though what Golden State's next move is. I actually like the move for them at the moment.

Why do you like the move for GSW?

No specific reason. I think he fits well into their system, they should still have cap room to persue some other free-agents. They had offered 20 million to Brand, that tells me they still have money to spend to fill some holes.

As always, it depends on what moves they do after acquiring. If they stay content, then this doesn't make sense, but they still have some wiggle room to improve the team.

« Reply #35 on: July 08, 2008, 10:54:49 PM »

Offline houlana

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 21

was just reading reactions on a warriors blog.
many of the fans are really angry with the singing.
others feel its a good move because they think this gives them a shot for josh smith, and they want kirk hinrich for PG

Re: Maggette to GSW (ESPN news report)
« Reply #36 on: July 08, 2008, 11:00:23 PM »

Offline bf17290

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 2
ah Maggette's true colors are out.. 5 years 50 mil.. theres NO WAY he was taking the MLE.. he was selfish at duke.. he was selfish when he wasn't starting.. and he is selfish now..

even if we lose posey, i dont think i feel too bad about not getting maggette.. he gets hurt all the time, isn't that great on D and most certainly is not all about the team.

« Reply #37 on: July 08, 2008, 11:03:40 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
I don't think Nellie will like Maggette that much. Too one dimensional and incapable of making plays for others. An all-round worse version of Jason Richardson.

My problem with the move for Golden State is that it's too early to bring in Maggette or a player like him. They have no foundation. No interior presence. No All-Stars. Maggette's contract and presence on the roster just makes it that more difficult to add those pieces - more wins, lower lottery picks, less available minutes for youth, more money tied up.

I think it's too early for GSW.

« Reply #38 on: July 08, 2008, 11:13:34 PM »

Offline The Walker Wiggle

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 758
  • Pretend Hinkie
Panic signing. I'd like to hear Mullin's explanation now on why it was necessary to trade Jason Richardson - a true starter, far better defensively, a better ball handler, better from behind the arc, younger, and an iron man, particularly compared to Maggette.

Golden State ought to have resigned Davis if they wanted to contend in the short term, and once they let him go, team should have committed to rebuilding around their young talent. Too many swingmen, no post threat and no true point guard.

EDIT - Oops, never mind me, I agree with what Who said ten seconds ago.

« Reply #39 on: July 08, 2008, 11:19:50 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
Panic signing. I'd like to hear Mullin's explanation now on why it was necessary to trade Jason Richardson - a true starter, far better defensively, a better ball handler, better from behind the arc, younger, and an iron man, particularly compared to Maggette.

Golden State ought to have resigned Davis if they wanted to contend in the short term, and once they let him go, team should have committed to rebuilding around their young talent. Too many swingmen, no post threat and no true point guard.

EDIT - Oops, never mind me, I agree with what Who said ten seconds ago.

Yeah, count me in. I was also in the "rebuild" bandwagon. Unless Mullin has some more moves aligned that we don't know (even releasing Don Nelson?), I don't really understand this move.

« Reply #40 on: July 08, 2008, 11:30:40 PM »

Offline ma11l

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 233
  • Let's Go Celtics
Cha-ching, cha-ching

hey, that's the sound of the money being thrown at James Posey.  What's to say that GS or the Clippers don't also now enter into the Posey sweepstakes? 

That dude is going to be one wealthy 6th man in a few days and my guess is, it wont be Boston.   :-\

Yeah, the way this is shaping up I think we will end up one of the losers of this free agency market.  I don't think Maggette not coming here will have an impact on where Posey goes, he was going to be out either way.  I never had a good feeling about us bringing him back.
"Take this down," said O'Neal. "My name is Shaquille O'Neal and Paul Pierce is the (expletive) truth. Quote me on that and don't take nothing out. I knew he could play, but I didn't know he could play like this. Paul Pierce is the truth."

« Reply #41 on: July 08, 2008, 11:35:11 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Well scratch Maggette to Boston.  I guess this move makes sense for him.  He's going to get starter minutes and better money.  In Boston he would have played second fiddle/backup to PP/Allen and gotten no more than the MLE.  So who do the Celtics target now?  Does Posey become even more of a priority with the free agent pool shrinking?

« Reply #42 on: July 09, 2008, 12:18:35 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
Well, pretty good move for Maggette.  He got his $$$.  Thing is, Bay Area is expensive (let me tell you, that 8+% sales tax adds up, let alone cost of real estate!!)

Next up for GSW will be to sign Ellis and Biedrins (and probably Azubuike). GSW is done with FAs.  I expect Philly will land Brand and Clippers and Atlanta will battle over Josh Smith. 

I actually think Posey is a good fit with NOH.  For the Cs, next step is to focus on the "2nd tier" FA swingmen -- players like Maurice Evans or Matt Barnes.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #43 on: July 09, 2008, 12:50:09 AM »

Offline lon3lytoaster

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 157
  • Word aapp!
Ugh. So much for wanting a ring. So with Pietrus going to Orlando and Maggette going after dollar signs I feel as if we're now obligated to give Pose that 5 year deal. ugh.

« Reply #44 on: July 09, 2008, 01:04:17 AM »

Offline beantownboy171

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 70
i hope danny has sumthing up his sleeve, because im sorry guys but we can't give posey that kind of money over that long, it would cripple us after next year, if we can spit it up over good role players and 1 year deals , we can come back next year with two rings and im not real familiar with who are FA next year but hopefully some hungry players. trust i would have wanted maggette, pietrus or posey but none of them at the contracts their getting, hopefully posey takes less money to come here, but i don't think danny is budging and i don't blame posey either, does anyone have a good list of FA left