Author Topic: Woj - Horford Decision Expected Saturday Evening (ATL upping offer)  (Read 80668 times)

Re: Woj - Horford plans to make decision over weekend
« Reply #195 on: July 02, 2016, 11:06:30 AM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
Pat Riley is always crafty to build his team.
It worked out well with Lebron, but now it won't anymore.
Players devalue, they can't reload all the time.
They were lucky enough with whiteside, but I don't believe they'll be top5 without Bosh and another year of Wade.
He just lost Deng to the Lakers too.  ::)

The Lakers are doing a far better job than the Celtics in free agency so far--by not aiming so high.

Free-Agency is not a competition on how many players a team can sign and how many bad contracts they can give out...

The Lakers are doing an incredible job of making bad free-agency decision.

The defense of what the Lakers are doing is the Philly gets their pick if it's not top three next draft, so even if they tried to tank they could still lose it, and they may realize they are years away from being any free agent's first or second choice.  They're recognizing that they've got to work their way back to good before they can even think about more than that.

Mike

Are you saying you think the Lakers signings so far have moved them from somewhere like 4th to 6th worst to 10th worst or something?  I think they are still clearly top 3 bad and will plan on getting another top 3 pick.  On the surface the Deng signing seems like it could take them out of the worst 3, and so is puzzling.  But on second glance, I don't think he and Mozgov are a threat to another top draft pick for LA next year.

« Reply #196 on: July 02, 2016, 11:11:01 AM »

Offline BDeCosta26

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 232
When I heard Horford had played for Donovan in Florida, I saw the handwriting on the wall. Horford met with OKC first. If they can clear cap space, Danny will come up zero.

Now it's possible Durant will shock everybody and go somewhere else. That would make Horford more playable.

But right now, to me, it looks like Danny has put too much focus on KD and Horford. Maybe aimed too high. In the process, he's missed out on a guy who was more doable--Howard.

So what's plan B, Danny?  Kanter? Or somebody else a team has to unload to clear cap space?
He can outbid Toronto for Biyombo. Or maybe Ezeli. Whatever, he needs some help up front or the team will sit at 48 wins--or less.

This is Danny ainge.  Swing for the fences for trades, bunt or hit pop fouls during the draft.  His philosophy is maddening.

We took a guy who might have the highest upside in the draft two weeks ago at #3.

Hardly seems like a bunt to me.

Did u see last years pick?  Jaylen was projected between 5-10.  He wasn't even bpa.  And you said might.  Jesus why do people have to constantly defend Danny like it's their freakin baby or something g. Reality check!

I did. Rozier was a pretty high upside pick too for #16. That kid has phenomenal tools that could translate to a player much better than his draft position. Brown is a high-upside guy too. JB has Kawhi Leonard level potential with unmatched athleticism.

I'm not "defending Ainge like he's my baby". You complained that were "bunting" in the draft but that's not true. Rozier and Brown were deff swing for the fences kind of picks.

« Reply #197 on: July 02, 2016, 11:15:48 AM »

Online RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1409
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojVerticalNBA  10m10 minutes ago
Sources on @TheVertical: Boston and Washington have emerged as frontrunners to sign All-Star forward Al Horford.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #198 on: July 02, 2016, 11:18:40 AM »

Offline JOMVP

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 100
Sources on @TheVertical: Boston and Washington have emerged as frontrunners to sign All-Star forward Al Horford.

If he's choosing between us and Washington, I mean.. come on! There's no real choice there. Horford could have had a huge impact on KD by signing and going to that meeting with us, instead, he's chosen to take time to choose us or Washington? I'm not buying it. He's waiting to see if OKC clan clear cap. Only explanation.

« Reply #199 on: July 02, 2016, 11:18:49 AM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704

That's coming from Woj, thats great! If its down to us and the Wizards, I like our chances. What they heck do the Wizards have to offer that we don't?

« Reply #201 on: July 02, 2016, 11:20:27 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2407
So if Horford joined Washington, they would look like:

PG: John Wall
SG: Bradley Beal
SF: Otto Porter, Oubre
PF: Al Horford
 C: Marcin Gortat

Looks like a 45 win team to me. A 50 win if they can put together a high quality bench.

« Reply #202 on: July 02, 2016, 11:21:32 AM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
I don't know.

Beal and Wall is a pretty dynamic backcourt, but I agree, not as good on overall situation as us.

Re: Woj - Decision Expected This Evening
« Reply #203 on: July 02, 2016, 11:22:08 AM »

Offline Wicked Messenger

• Svi Mykhailiuk
  • Tommy Points: 4
Boston and Washington reported to be final candidates.

« Reply #204 on: July 02, 2016, 11:23:25 AM »

Offline JOMVP

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 100
I don't know.

Beal and Wall is a pretty dynamic backcourt, but I agree, not as good on overall situation as us.

Beal is made of glass. Horford won't be playing with him much. Between our current roster, and future draft capital, I'd say Boston should be the preferred destination. We also atleast have a meeting with KD. Something Washington couldn't get.

« Reply #205 on: July 02, 2016, 11:23:59 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja
If that is his choice,  then, the Celtics have the edge. Hopefully he picks the Celtics and at the same time telephones durant, telling him to come along for the ride.  :)

And thanks for the thread WM. A tp for you.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #206 on: July 02, 2016, 11:24:22 AM »

Offline oldtype

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 143
Why in the name of God would he want to go to the Wizards.

Great words from a great man

« Reply #207 on: July 02, 2016, 11:24:25 AM »

Offline CelticD

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
would this have any indication as to how free agents view boston as a city? the celtics are definitely in a better position to compete than the wizards, both teams can offer him the same money (im not 100% about the wiz but im assuming), so out of those two, boston should easily be the choice to make.

if he somehow chooses the wizards as his team, would that mean he simply doesnt like boston as a city? im not entirely seeing the appeal for the wiz over the celts. 

« Reply #208 on: July 02, 2016, 11:26:57 AM »

Offline oldtype

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 143
would this have any indication as to how free agents view boston as a city? the celtics are definitely in a better position to compete than the wizards, both teams can offer him the same money (im not 100% about the wiz but im assuming), so out of those two, boston should easily be the choice to make.

if he somehow chooses the wizards as his team, would that mean he simply doesnt like boston as a city? im not entirely seeing the appeal for the wiz over the celts.

Having lived in both places, everything that's bad about Boston applies to DC as well (high taxes, cost of living, bad nightlife, bad weather) so I doubt location would be his primary reason unless he has family in the DC area or something.

Great words from a great man

« Reply #209 on: July 02, 2016, 11:27:03 AM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2933
Let me see - a team with a past their prime front court who couldn't even make the playoffs last year or a significantly better team WHO BEAT SAID TEAM FOUR TIMES LAST YEAR, has the better coach, management, city, and future, and has a chance to add KD to the mix with most likely a top 3 pick in the next two drafts.

Yeah, hard decision lol