Author Topic: According to Sporting News, Cs want to move up for Bamba  (Read 15481 times)

Re: According to Sporting News, Cs want to move up for Bamba
« Reply #60 on: May 30, 2018, 01:34:00 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
We aren't trading Brown in a package for Bamba.

I think Bamba will be great and will be great for this team.  We still have the Sac pick, Memphis pick (they may want their own pick back...), LAC pick, our picks, etc. to offer in addition to Rozier, Yabusele, Theis and others who may be desirable.  If that can't get it done, then pass.

Why would a team trade for such a package for Bamba? This years draft is considered to be much stronger than 2019 draft

Hawks GM would be fired if he did that

For Brown they would listen.

But would Danny go down this route?

Not the Hawks, but the Grizzlies might.  The Grizz may even take Marcus Morris back in a deal...

Then they would be stupid lol

Its like saying trading a top 5 pick (2003 draft) for 3 future 1st (one that is likely in the top 5)

You just dont do it

Rozier and 2019 for 6-7th pick has a better chance to fly
what if it isn't 2003 and is more like 2002 or 2004?  And even in 2003 Darko was the 2nd pick. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #61 on: May 30, 2018, 01:35:21 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
Unless you think Bamba is going to be an Anthony Davis / KAT type big man (i.e. can lots of things on both ends), I don't see how you could ever countenance trading a versatile wing talent like Jaylen Brown for a big man prospect.
Nobody thinks that.  They think he's Rudy Gobert.  Would you trade Brown for Gobert?
Gobert in his prime, probably, Gobert as a rookie with no idea where he ends up professionally, probably not.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #62 on: May 30, 2018, 01:35:34 PM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
Perhaps Memphis presents an outside chance of making a deal centered around Rozier. Memphis wants to still try to contend/not quite rebuild yet. So giving them Sacramento's pick next year might work for them (as opposed to other teams that would require substantially more value to defer their [projected] lottery pick).

Rozier also helps Memphis next year, both off-ball next to Conley, as a backup to Conley, and as Conley's replacement during [inevitable] injury/rest.

The guys available at #4 also might be pass-able for Memphis, given that they are either big men (Gasol-redundant), point guards (Conley-redundant), or wings that are not franchise-level. Memphis could hope for a better fit (better quality wings) or better talent (Gasol or Conley replacement) in the next draft.

It's still a reach, but maybe Rozier, Sacramento pick, give Memphis their own pick back or Celtics 2018 #27.

No way would I give up Brown.

« Reply #63 on: May 30, 2018, 01:39:15 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
We will see what happens

Danny will speak to teams picking 2-7 to see if they are willing to trade their picks and at what cost

My guess is that teams picking 2-5 likely would want a Tatum or Brown

Team picking 6,7... the Celts  could possibly get away with Rozier + 2019 Kings 1st

« Reply #64 on: May 30, 2018, 01:40:44 PM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
Brown for Bamba would be an effective way to balance out the roster.

Tatum becomes the unquestioned heir apparent to the future.

Hayward has a clear path back into his all star level usage rate.

Bamba doesn't need to play right away. As he gets better Horf may start to fade, opening up a spot for Bamba to be our starter.

Good for Jaylen as he now gets the keys to his own franchise and can more freely develop. Good for the Celtics because it balances out the roster. Not saying I'd be disappointed if it didn't happen but I'd be excited if it did.

« Reply #65 on: May 30, 2018, 01:45:01 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
Don't know who/what would get traded, but one big issue facing the Cs is what the succession plan is for Al Horford who is the only core piece whose longevity is questionable. Haven't heard anything positive about next year's draft and we're going to be in luxury tax land this year or preferable next. On top of that, we'd be relying on luck regarding the draft picks we still have to find a big with potential.

Not arguing for this particular deal, but it's a long-term issue that sticks out like a sore thumb when you look down the road. Al will be 32 in June and 34 when his contract runs out. I assume he'll get some 2-3 year non-max contract thereafter, but counting on 5 more years on a center who's known for being mobile is a big risk.

« Reply #66 on: May 30, 2018, 01:46:46 PM »

Offline CELTICSofBOSTON

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 73
Something like Rozier and #27 to the Clippers for #12 works.  At #12 Robert Williams should still be available.

Or, maybe package #12 with the Kings 2019 pick to move up to #6 and take Bamba. This would only be possible if whovever is trading down to #12 really likes a prospect there.

« Reply #67 on: May 30, 2018, 01:49:27 PM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 199
Unless you think Bamba is going to be an Anthony Davis / KAT type big man (i.e. can lots of things on both ends), I don't see how you could ever countenance trading a versatile wing talent like Jaylen Brown for a big man prospect.
Nobody thinks that.  They think he's Rudy Gobert.  Would you trade Brown for Gobert?
Gobert in his prime, probably, Gobert as a rookie with no idea where he ends up professionally, probably not.
I get this viewpoint on risk assessment.  I'd give these odds and I'd take the risk, but I get that we aren't in a position where we need to take risks.

5% - Bamba is Olajuwon defensively
25% - Bamba becomes Gobert
40% - Bamba is a serviceable role player
30% - Greg Oden

Barring injury, I don't see how he misses.

« Reply #68 on: May 30, 2018, 01:50:18 PM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 199
Don't know who/what would get traded, but one big issue facing the Cs is what the succession plan is for Al Horford who is the only core piece whose longevity is questionable. Haven't heard anything positive about next year's draft and we're going to be in luxury tax land this year or preferable next. On top of that, we'd be relying on luck regarding the draft picks we still have to find a big with potential.

Not arguing for this particular deal, but it's a long-term issue that sticks out like a sore thumb when you look down the road. Al will be 32 in June and 34 when his contract runs out. I assume he'll get some 2-3 year non-max contract thereafter, but counting on 5 more years on a center who's known for being mobile is a big risk.
Good point.  If there's any truth to this rumor (and there probably isn't), this would be the main reason.

« Reply #69 on: May 30, 2018, 01:51:27 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

No, I wouldn't trade an All-Star caliber wing prospect who can switch and defend 1-4 for a big man like Rudy Gobert.

Rudy is great and all, but as great as he is, he still has issues staying on the floor against the best teams in the league due to his lack of range.

That's the NBA now.  A wing like Brown is worth more than almost any other kind of player apart from the unicorn type bigs / forwards who can do almost everything.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #70 on: May 30, 2018, 01:51:41 PM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
Something like Rozier and #27 to the Clippers for #12 works.  At #12 Robert Williams should still be available.

Or, maybe package #12 with the Kings 2019 pick to move up to #6 and take Bamba. This would only be possible if whovever is trading down to #12 really likes a prospect there.

I feel like something like this gets us in the ball park at least.

« Reply #71 on: May 30, 2018, 01:57:34 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2932
Yes please!

« Reply #72 on: May 30, 2018, 01:59:38 PM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
"Celtics like Bamba"

Ainge messing with anyone who cares to read this stuff. He has the 27th pick and one of the potentially best starting sixes in the league....but, he "likes" Bamba.

I bet he "likes" ice cream too, are they going to change the team's name to the Boston Ice cream cones?

« Reply #73 on: May 30, 2018, 02:01:09 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

No, I wouldn't trade an All-Star caliber wing prospect who can switch and defend 1-4 for a big man like Rudy Gobert.

Rudy is great and all, but as great as he is, he still has issues staying on the floor against the best teams in the league due to his lack of range.

That's the NBA now.  A wing like Brown is worth more than almost any other kind of player apart from the unicorn type bigs / forwards who can do almost everything.

Bamba has a functional jump shot. So he has a higher ceiling than Gobert

But of course he is no Gobert or even Capela right off the bat

« Reply #74 on: May 30, 2018, 02:04:05 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527

This. TP.