Author Topic: According to Sporting News, Cs want to move up for Bamba  (Read 15347 times)

According to Sporting News, Cs want to move up for Bamba
« on: May 30, 2018, 12:05:36 PM »

Online celticinorlando

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 637
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Sources told Sporting News that Boston has expressed interest in Bamba, including interviewing him at the Chicago pre-draft combine two weeks ago. Bamba measured in with a record wingspan of 7-10 in Chicago, reinforcing his status as the most ready-made rim protector in the draft.

Of course, the challenge is securing a pick that will be high enough to land Bamba. He could go as high as No. 3 to the Hawks, and there has also been talk that the Magic — picking sixth — are high on Bamba and won’t let him drop past their slot.

MORE: With so much talent on roster, is Boston trade inevitable?

The Celtics have the No. 27 pick, but they have multiple assets on hand that could help them move into the top five of the draft, where the Grizzlies (No. 4) and Mavericks (No. 5) have made it clear they’re willing to make a deal.

It’s almost certain that the Celtics would not move rookie forward Jayson Tatum, who just wrapped up the postseason as the team’s leading scorer, at 18.5 points per game. Less certain, though, is what Boston might do with point guard Terry Rozier (16.5 points, 5.7 assists and 5.3 rebounds per game in the playoffs) or swingman Jaylen Brown (18.0 points per game in the playoffs).

In order to move into the top five of the draft, the Celtics would likely have to give up either Rozier or Brown — Dallas (Dennis Smith Jr.) and Memphis (Mike Conley) already have point guards, and would almost certainly prefer Brown.

And Boston probably would have to include this year’s draft pick, as well as at least one pick next year, when the Celtics own Sacramento’s pick (protected for the first overall pick) as well as Memphis’ pick (top-eight protected).

But the Celtics have a near-complete roster. A rim protector like Bamba — who has also shown flashes of offensive improvement heading into the draft — could be a solid finishing touch.

Re: According to Sporting News, Cs want to move up for Bamba
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2018, 12:09:02 PM »

Offline coffee425

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122
I would only move up for Bamba or Doncic (since Ayton is a done deal at number 1).

All of the other top prospects won't move the needle enough and have lower potential than the guys on the roster right now.

Bamba and Doncic though... these are potential unicorns.
Even at the end of the game, we lined up in different formation that he hadn't seen and he called out our play before I got the ball. I heard him calling it out. -John Wall on Brad Stevens

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2018, 12:11:15 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
I would not move Jaylen for Bamba, but I can see how Ainge would if he believes in Bamba, as there will be a logjam on the wings with Hayward back and Tatums emergence

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2018, 12:11:56 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
This board would implode if the Celtics traded Brown to move up for Bamba.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2018, 12:15:36 PM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033
If they like Bamba, they'll dangle Rozier and the SAC pick. They have some other 1sts if they need to sweeten the pot.

They aren't trading Brown to draft a project.

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2018, 12:15:59 PM »

Offline KGBirdBias

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 125
Well I've been saying we need a big man. With a 7'4 wingspan, he'd definitely be an anchor in this defense. He's Gobert at this point.

Was this from Ainge's burner? :-\

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2018, 12:17:29 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389

Hes my favorite player on the team by a wide margin, so the trade seems inevitable.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2018, 12:19:06 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
I would not move Jaylen for Bamba, but I can see how Ainge would if he believes in Bamba, as there will be a logjam on the wings with Hayward back and Tatums emergence

Yup

Rozier plus 2019 kings likely doesnt get you Bamba

Brown can

Brown plus 27 for  3 and 19 picks

Then draft

3- Bamba
19-Divicenzo

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2018, 12:22:56 PM »

Offline vl819

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 19
Well I've been saying we need a big man. With a 7'4 wingspan, he'd definitely be an anchor in this defense. He's Gobert at this point.

Was this from Ainge's burner? :-\

Actually his wingspan is closer to 7'11" ...Biggest in history

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2018, 12:27:10 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

Hes my favorite player on the team by a wide margin, so the trade seems inevitable.

Imagine a trade of Brown, the SAC pick, and #27 just for Bamba?! I would die. I agree with others that it has to be Rozier, especially if we are also moving the SAC pick. Perhaps a 3rd team would be more than happy to send additional compensation to DAL so that they could acquire Rozier.

For the record, I would not be happy with the above proposed deal. Bamba seems alright, but isn't my first choice. I can see trading Rozier and lesser picks, but not the SAC (or even MEM) pick. ORL still seems to make the most sense - definitely over MEM and DAL.

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2018, 12:27:34 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Trading Brown for Bamba would be idiotic.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2018, 12:27:57 PM »

Online celticinorlando

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 637
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Would make a lot of sense to have a match up with Embiid. But it would be hard to part with Brown. He and Tatum are the future. If you can get Bamba without moving him, I am all in

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2018, 12:27:57 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
Get Noel..case closed
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2018, 12:28:30 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 306
Jaylen Brown and 2 #1s to get Bamba would be ludicrous. Ainge deserves to be roasted if he does anything resembling this.

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2018, 12:28:33 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
The thing that worries me a bit is that so far Ainge has been a disaster at drafting big men.
He was obsessed with Robert Swift, passed on DeAndre Jordan, picked Fab Melo, trader up
to get Olynyk while passing on Giannis, missed out on Nurkic and Jokic, drafted Zizic. Can we trust his instincts on banking on a big man prospect?