Author Topic: Extremely sick with food poisoning any advice would help  (Read 9300 times)

Extremely sick with food poisoning any advice would help
« on: October 03, 2019, 11:02:30 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
 Hey guys I'm currently on vacation right now in a third world country and I came down with food poisoning Salmonella most likely and probably parasites from the local water.

My flight homes not for another 4 days I've had diarrhea for over a week and over the last two or three days I've just been extremely fatigued hot and cold I seem to be a little bit better but not much today.

I don't know if there's any real credible hospitals to go to I'd rather not go to a hospital here to be honest I've taken Pepto-Bismol Tylenol to bring the fever down but my fever has somewhat normalized.

the CDC recommended hydration packets which I bought a bunch of those hasn't really helped much.

So if anybody has any type of remedies it's most likely salmonella poisoning from chicken and eggs.

Any advice is welcomed I'm willing to try anything at this point thanks guys can't wait to be home in about a week.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2019, 11:12:03 PM by KG Living Legend »

Re: Extremely sick with food poisoning any advice would help
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2019, 11:19:16 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
Maybe go to urgent care. Drink more clean water if they have any there. Diarrhea for over a week is definitely signs you should go to hospital (if/when you get back home and still feel like crap) lol. I cry having diarrhea for one night.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2019, 11:22:07 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Stay hydrated and wait it out until you get home. But you have to remain hydrated otherwise your potassium levels will plummet and then you will be in a load of trouble. Most third world countries have pharmacies you can just walk into and buy prescription drugs. Perhaps go there and get some anti-vomiting/anti-nausea meds like Zophran or ondansetron.

The only reason I am suggesting those drugs is not because I am a doctor, but because my son once had cyclic vomiting syndrome and those are the meds the docs prescribed him for his constant nausea/vomitting.

Feel better KGLL.

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2019, 11:28:41 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
Stay hydrated and wait it out until you get home. But you have to remain hydrated otherwise your potassium levels will plummet and then you will be in a load of trouble. Most third world countries have pharmacies you can just walk into and buy prescription drugs. Perhaps go there and get some anti-vomiting/anti-nausea meds like Zophran or ondansetron.

The only reason I am suggesting those drugs is not because I am a doctor, but because my son once had cyclic vomiting syndrome and those are the meds the docs prescribed him for his constant nausea/vomitting.

Feel better KGLL.

Thanks, I have not vomited once. But I'm going to the bathroom every 30 minutes.

I just read any a Brat diet of bananas and rice. Going to find some bananas today. Hope they are safe to eat.

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2019, 11:32:14 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
Credible or questionable, I'd still go to a local urgent care or ER if it was me. If it's a serious infection delaying treatment by hours or days can make a big difference in your long term prognosis.

Also, all hospitals in the area I'm sure have seen cases of whatever it is you have many times, and will know how to deal with it.

Don't wait, get a trained physician to check you out.

You can always get re-checked by a US doctor when you get back home, but getting checked now will make sure that you get back home ok.

Plus, the flight back home with chronic diarrhea would be just brutal.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2019, 11:38:01 PM by hpantazo »

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2019, 11:41:32 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Credible or questionable, I'd still go to a local urgent care or ER if it was me. If it's a serious infection delaying treatment by hours or days can make a big difference in your long term prognosis.

Also, all hospitals in the area I'm sure have seen cases of whatever it is you have many times, and will know how to deal with it.

Don't wait, get a trained physician to check you out.

You can always get re-checked by a US doctor when you get back home, but getting checked now will make sure that you get back home ok.

Yeah, if it's at all a touristy area they see tourists with food/water poisoning all the time. Go get checked out - if you're at a hotel or similar ask a concierge-type person if they have one. Do not try to ride out another 4 days when it's already been over a week. 

Good luck man, that can't be any fun.

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2019, 12:06:08 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson

Thanks for the extra push fellas. I'm at the clinic now about to receive a shot. Wish me luck, and Go Celtics!

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2019, 12:28:55 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617

Thanks for the extra push fellas. I'm at the clinic now about to receive a shot. Wish me luck, and Go Celtics!

haha!! lol, TP.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2019, 12:43:06 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson

haha!! lol, TP.

Thanks guys TP to everyone here.

Sounds crazy but it's nice to have some friends I feel like I can trust when I'm in a real moment of weakness.

All they gave me was a few sets of pills but I already feel better mentally knowing that it should clear up fairly soon thanks again guys.

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2019, 12:53:27 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

haha!! lol, TP.

Sounds crazy but it's nice to have some friends I feel like I can trust when I'm in a real moment of weakness.

All they gave me was a few sets of pills but I already feel better mentally knowing that it should clear up fairly soon thanks again guys.
Curious what they gave you

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2019, 01:00:07 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson

haha!! lol, TP.

Curious what they gave you

Antibiotics, An unknown pill for my sharp stomach pain. Activate charcoal, and a Bowel movement pill.

I can already feel my stomach calming thank God and thank you guys for the extra push I'm stubborn like my grandfather LoL.

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2019, 01:04:21 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
great you went to the doctor.... they know best how to treat infections in their area. I pray you feel better. Amen.

« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2019, 01:05:44 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
getting ready to watch Houston at Clippers from Hawaii.

« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2019, 01:15:49 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
great you went to the doctor.... they know best how to treat infections in their area. I pray you feel better. Amen.

Thanks so much. Don't eat suspect street food like I did. there is a really little you can do to avoid getting contaminated with the local water.

I feel like it was this one street meal that did me in

« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2019, 01:18:46 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman

Thanks so much. Don't eat suspect street food like I did. there is a really little you can do to avoid getting contaminated with the local water.

I feel like it was this one street meal that did me in

next time you venture out...take your shots, pack your Imodium and make sure you only drink bottled water.