Author Topic: Brady 4-7 against Manning's, Flacco - 18-2 against rest of league  (Read 4439 times)

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Brady is now 22-9 in the post season.  He has 3 losses to Peyton, 2 losses to Eli, and 2 losses to Flacco (the other losses are to Jake Plummer and Mark Sanchez who has not beaten).  He has beaten Peyton and Flacco twice and has not beaten Eli.  So against the Manning's and Flacco, Brady is 4-7, against everyone else he is 18-2.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Re: Brady 4-7 against Manning's, Flacco - 18-2 against rest of league
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2016, 08:51:20 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
Brady is now 22-9 in the post season.  He has 3 losses to Peyton, 2 losses to Eli, and 2 losses to Flacco (the other losses are to Jake Plummer and Mark Sanchez who has not beaten).  He has beaten Peyton and Flacco twice and has not beaten Eli.  So against the Manning's and Flacco, Brady is 4-7, against everyone else he is 18-2.

Ravens, Giants, 2015 Broncos.  I wonder if they have something in common
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2016, 08:54:21 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

I'd offer that each of them had better defenses than the Pats those years.

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2016, 09:25:11 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254

Each of them threw around our tackles like rag dolls?

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2016, 09:27:12 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Why wouldn't you specify instead Brady's record playing against the Ravens, Giants, and Broncos defensive front seven?
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2016, 09:37:00 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
Why wouldn't you specify instead Brady's record playing against the Ravens, Giants, and Broncos defensive front seven?
He also lost to the Colts with Manning. 

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2016, 10:08:04 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816

Pretty much.  I think I saw a stat that Brady was hit more yesterday than any QB all season
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2016, 10:11:11 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

Pretty much.  I think I saw a stat that Brady was hit more yesterday than any QB all season
which should be on the coaching staff as much as anything.  They didn't call a good game at all.  Virtually no rushing, rarely left the RB in to block, etc.  Coaching staff had a terrible game.

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2016, 10:23:50 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
The common denominator in losses to those teams is that the Pats couldn't run the ball and the opposing defenses got pressure while rushing 4 guys.

Since Brady is never on the field at the same time as Manning or Flacco I don't have any interest in comparing their meetings head to head, the reason those qbs have good records against Brady is defense not the opposing qb.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2016, 10:34:14 AM »

Offline obnoxiousmime

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 258
It's pretty simple. The teams that have stout fronts that can get to Brady without sending extra rushers tend to do well against him. This is because 1, Brady has not had a strong running game to support him since earlier in his career. 2, Brady is not the most mobile quarterback and while he can break a run once in a blue moon he cannot do it consistently like scrambling QBs can. This also means he can't create as much extra time for himself when eluding the initial rush. If the D also has good corners like the Broncos do, they can allocate double teams to the top targets and force Brady to go to inconsistent third or fourth options.

Honestly though, Brady simply didn't have a good game besides the pass rush getting to him. He tried to force the ball in the first half and those ended up being the difference. He had to know that the Broncos offense was not going to be able to score points and it would be a defensive slugfest, so turnovers were going to be even more critical to avoid.

He also missed some throws, though it's hard to expect him to be perfect when he's constantly afraid the rush is going to strip sack him, or when a blown block forces him to throw the ball earlier than the optimal time. He seemed to zero in on certain guys, either because he felt he didn't have the time to go through his reads or he just panicked.

It was probably a C/C+ game for him. Harsh due to the rush he faced, but fair considering Brady has set the bar so high for his own performances.

The missed read on Gronk being open on the 2 pt. conversion was pretty bad. That was a case where it seemed he just stuck to his initial read and didn't feel confident looking for another option, then stuck it into a real high traffic area.

I would like to see them invest in an OT, a WR to replace LaFell, and a RB this offseason. Dion Lewis is an injury risk and they need insurance for Solder/Vollmer. Vollmer will be 32 next season, his future replacement can't be Marcus Cannon. They need a good WR who is more durable than Edelman, Gronk, and Amendola, all of whom have spotty injury histories. Expecting them to all be healthy like they were in 2014-15 is a big risk.

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2016, 10:34:29 AM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/01/25/broncos-hit-brady-more-times-than-any-quarterback-has-been-hit-all-year/

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2016, 11:01:56 AM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
All those teams had elite defenses that the Patriots couldn't solve. Simple as that.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2016, 11:07:12 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
He also lost to the Colts with Manning.

Yeah, but if you take out the three teams I mentioned, Brady has done just fine against the Colts.  Slipping the Colts into that sample and then talking in terms of the QBs that have "beaten" Brady is just misleading, plain and simple.

All those teams had elite defenses that the Patriots couldn't solve. Simple as that.

Specifically, big defensive lines that could afford to rush only four and still get pressure on Brady.

It's pretty simple. The teams that have stout fronts that can get to Brady without sending extra rushers tend to do well against him.

The common denominator in losses to those teams is that the Pats couldn't run the ball and the opposing defenses got pressure while rushing 4 guys.

Or, what OM and Evantime said.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2016, 11:32:40 AM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Maybe I'm wrong, but I feel like there has to be a way to beat defenses like those. And I don't want to be unfair to the Patriots coaches, but it seems like maybe they could've made other adjustments and didn't.

For example, the Patriots usually do a lot of short passes to their backs, but did only a few yesterday. And if I remember correctly, they tried only one screen pass (the failed fourth-and-1 throw to Edelman), which is a traditional way of countering a strong pass rush.

Or am I way off base?
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2016, 06:42:00 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

I don't think the qbs mattered. He started out 9-0 in the playoffs, since then he's 13-9.